Sign in with
Your question

Shuttle system help

Last response: in Components
July 22, 2003 6:01:14 AM

I purchased the Shuttle system SN41G2. I installed an AMD Thour 2600+ cpu and also installed 768megs of DDR PC3200 ram. I set aside 128megs of that ram for the integrated videocard.

My problem is, I can't get nowhere near the scores on 3D Benchmark 2001SE that tom's hardware got. The reason i purchased this system is because i really liked the scores and the review of this system. Now i know the system on the review is a 2700 cpu but i dont think the 2600 would make that much of a difference.

My scores on 2001 was an average of "2736". And the scores according to your review (using the integrated card) was "4855".

Is there any possible way i can get the detailed information of how you setup the bios on the system you ran your review and tests on??

Im going from a 1.3T-bird/Geforce2mx system to this shuttle. mainly for the size of the shuttle and the system upgrade of course.

but right now my old system is ourperforming my new system.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm almost ready to return this thing.

p.s. both systems have winXP, the same videocard drivers (im using nvidia's 30.82), both set up the same way, and they both are running the save version of directX as well

software wise they are the same systems the only differcence is hardware.

More about : shuttle system

July 22, 2003 4:07:04 PM

Did you run your benchmark with a Monitor resolution of 1024x768 or 1280x1024?

The bench used 1024x768

The loving are the daring!
July 22, 2003 5:16:19 PM

Yea i ran the same test the review did. (which is the default test)

i know its not running right because i play Quake and inside quake, with the exact same game settings and video options, im getting better Frames Per Second (FPS) on my old system than i am on the shuttle.
Related resources
July 22, 2003 5:49:02 PM

Returning.

Did you notice that with a graphics card there was a huge difference in performance?

Don't know if the benchmark would care about the hard drive but out of curiosity did u put in a 7200RPM drive?

And is/are your Bios and drivers are up to date?

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 07/22/03 01:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 22, 2003 7:03:09 PM

"Did you notice that with a graphics card there was a huge difference in performance?"

I'm not sure what you are asking. In the review, they tested it stand alone, as well as with a Ti4600 in it. Of course the Ti did a much better job than the integrated card did in the benchmark.

I have not stuck an additional video card in the shuttle.

Yea i have a 7200RPM hd in the new shuttle as well as a 7200RPM hd in the old pc.
July 22, 2003 9:13:46 PM

OK,

A) Did you check for an updated BIOS?
Did you check for better drivers?

B) I have no more ideas. Wait till later.
People come in at different times and someone
else may know or have better ideas.

C) I don't think the people who set up the benchmark
hang around here but I could be mistaken.

About the graphics card: Your frustration seemed to
be about the graphics performance. I didn't think that
the difference between the bench and your results were
going to make you happy so I was hinting that you might
want to consider buying a graphics card.

Good Luck. I hope someone else can give you the
answer.

July 22, 2003 11:00:54 PM

I was hoping i didnt have to flash the bios but that may be my only alternative to see if it helps (if there is an update). Im frustrated because its not performing as it should according to the benchmark results. That and i know its a better system than my first one. There shouldnt be a reason to upgrade to another videocard when "as is" the shuttle system should be outperforming my old system.

I know its something simple, I just have not found it yet.

Is there a way inside the BIOS to see what revision im using? Or do i have to catch it in the bootup sequence?
July 22, 2003 11:18:42 PM

Use the pause key on boot. That should help you catch it.
Then use a key like <Esc> to continue.

I don't recall ever seeing the info show up any bios setting panels.

And check for updated drivers first.

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 07/22/03 07:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 23, 2003 2:23:07 AM

i downloaded the latest drivers from the shuttle website

the nforce went fine
the video drivers are another story

its hanging up while installing the drivers for a good 3 minutes be4 installing the drivers

then i reboot and it hangs at the "winXP" screen for 3-4 minutes b4 booting up (seems right after setting up the videocard cus the screen flashes a little)

i tried to use other versions of drivers from nvidias archive but still hangs up alot

any ideas ?

oh yea

after finally rebooting it will run ok and give me a somewhat decent score in the benchmark

but it has blue screened on me once

i guess ill keep trying all the versions of drivers b4 i flash the bios
July 23, 2003 2:33:25 AM

Well it seems you have some progress, glad to hear it was a driver problem.

Did you search the drivers forum? I haven't yet.

Ideas
=====

Start up in safe mode. Delete the device. Reboot and windows might find the proper stuff to install. Sounds like there was a problem with the install because it was in use.
I would try variations of that on Windows 98 I don't know my way around XP that much.

-----------

Good luck!

July 23, 2003 3:16:25 AM

where is the driver forum?

still tryin to find my way around this place

all i usually do is read reviews ..dont usually ahve to dig too deep.
July 23, 2003 3:42:13 AM

found the forum...im off to tell them my sad story and hope for help lol
July 23, 2003 4:18:40 AM

haha, that's worse than saying "dude, I got a Dell".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 23, 2003 4:28:21 AM

wow i cant even get the thing to run the benchmark without locking up...even after going back to the original setup i was complaining about.

hmm
July 23, 2003 5:39:54 AM

Did you know that you can get Dell computers with an AGP slot and PCI slots?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 23, 2003 1:03:50 PM

Dell Hell!!!

My company did a deal with Dell that allowed people in the company to lease a Dell for 3yrs. Effectively $15/mth Cdn or about $10/11 U.S.. That's not a bad deal ($30/mth with 56kb internet included). Course soon as someone wanted a better graphics card things got kind of "limited".

Some people swear by Dell, great when your kid sticks a pencil in the floppy drive! Just call them up and replace it. Something not working, they send a tech.

Guess it depends what you want your computer for. Certainly no bragging rights :smile: ! Hehe

!