Sign in with
Your question

Help me pick a laptop

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 7, 2006 7:27:30 PM

I've never owned one before and have little experience with them.

Basically I want a laptop for work. I'm in an ambulance all day and want a laptop to watch movies/surf the web/listen to music etc.. during downtime.

My budget is about 1500 give or take. I don't really intend to play games on it. I just want the best multimedia/connectivity possible. Largest I really want to go is 15.4 widescreen smallest probably the 13 from apple.

The Dell e1505 and a few of the HP models look like they might work. Acer, Asus, and the Macbook look like they could be good too.

Really appreciate any help here, thanks.

More about : pick laptop

October 7, 2006 9:04:40 PM

Hah what hospital do you work for?
October 8, 2006 4:02:30 AM

Quote:
Hah what hospital do you work for?

Alright, that was helpful? I suggest you go check this out NoteBook Review You will find a section there saying Laptop Deals, Dell Coupons. This might help you shave a few bucks if it's a concern at all. The site has reviews of notebooks, issues, opinions on support and more in the forums. You need to ask yourself a few quick questions
1. how long will you need to be away from power? can you plug in in the ambulance?
2. How much music do you have .. how many gigabytes? Consider the drive space your laptop will have.
3. How much coverage do you need.. 3 year warranty..accidental insurrance?
4. how computer savy are you.. is good tech support a NEED?

Mac, probably has the best support, and if you're near a good mac store, they may offer classes.. atleast they do here in NYC. The macbook seems to be righting it's QC problems and at 999 off Amazon with Apple care.. 1249 is pretty sweet for that jem.

Acer is okay, build is okay, support is..eh okay,... but you'll need to buy an extended warranty as they only come with 1 year.

Asus ensembles are mostly 1 year support, but much better in build.. their tech support is pretty good, but limited hours. get an extended warranty where available. You can also custom configure Asus through resellers who offer it.. Like MWAVE.com and many more

Dell and HP are customizable, will probably be the cheapest with coupons and discounts. They're also the most cheaply built and aren't exactly.. rugged. If you're even slightly abusive to your laptop, consider accident insurance which i think they both offer. Inspiron 1405 would be a good start, or the hp dv2000t series. HP offers a video upgrade on the dv200t for 35 dollars.. it's worth it. Having a small dedicated card will slightly diminish battery time, but it will improve your dvd playback.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 8, 2006 10:07:36 PM

I would go with the macbook. The screen is really nice, perfect for watchingg movies. It will come will all kinds of cool software to entertain you in your down time. Plus you can download all kinds of cool widgets. :) 
October 10, 2006 4:27:53 PM

Lol he said widgets

Quote:
I would go with the macbook. The screen is really nice, perfect for watchingg movies. It will come will all kinds of cool software to entertain you in your down time. Plus you can download all kinds of cool widgets. :) 
!