Unable to login: mouse and keyboard does not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralisson

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hi,

Recently, I was unable to login on Windows 8. I own a Microsoft Kit (keyboard + mouse) and at the login screen, both mouse and keyboard does not allow me to interact with my PC. My keyboard and mouse works fine on BIOS setup, even on another PC (so, my kit is OK).

Other important thing: I think my Windows is not stucked at login screen, since the time on screen gets updated normally.

Can you help me?

Thanks

Solution
Another thing to try is this. Power the system down. Disconnect the mouse and keyboard. Power the system up (with both still disconnected).

When at the Login page, reconnect both the keyboard and mouse and let Windows re-detect the "new" hardware. This can sometimes reload the drivers to get the devices to work properly.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try changing the USB ports you are using. This sounds like a driver update could be causing an issue. I assume you system has both USB2 and USB3 ports (if a newer system). USB3 ports are often blue. Try to connect you keyboard and mouse to the USB2 ports instead.

mralisson

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Thanks for your help, but it didn't work. I went through 4 USB different ports, and nothing! I also connect another USB mouse (and it was recognized by BIOS) and nothing can control my login screen!

Any other ideas?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Another thing to try is this. Power the system down. Disconnect the mouse and keyboard. Power the system up (with both still disconnected).

When at the Login page, reconnect both the keyboard and mouse and let Windows re-detect the "new" hardware. This can sometimes reload the drivers to get the devices to work properly.

Solution

mralisson

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
COLGeek, your tip was awesome! I powered system down, disconnect mouse/key receiver, powered up, connect receiver and voilá! Everithing working again :)

Thanks a lot !!!!

Juan Tienda

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
OMG!! I had the exact same problem. I was desperate to find a solution then I stumbled onto this. This definitely worked. I'd like to thank you for finding the solution COLGeek :D

Rocky Verma

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013

I have tried this solution but its not working for me.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Start a new thread. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible so users can provide assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.