Loosing Connection between MN500 & MN520

When I first boot up my systems, I get a good connection
with my wireless. After a few minutes (5-15) I loose
connection. After that, I can't get a connection. Even
if I put the lap top within 5 ft of the base station.
I've removed all security settings on the base station
and laptop. I've changed channels and reinstall the
software on both computers. Nothing helps. What now?
10 answers Last reply
More about loosing connection mn500 mn520

    Is the computer running Windows XP SP1?

    Rob V wrote:

    > When I first boot up my systems, I get a good connection
    > with my wireless. After a few minutes (5-15) I loose
    > connection. After that, I can't get a connection. Even
    > if I put the lap top within 5 ft of the base station.
    > I've removed all security settings on the base station
    > and laptop. I've changed channels and reinstall the
    > software on both computers. Nothing helps. What now?

    They both are running XP. SP1 is a service pack, right?
    I'm pretty sure my system is up to date. How can I go
    about to see if is SP1?

    If you have SP1 you need to disable the 802.1x authentication. It's in
    the properties of the network connection on the authentication tab. You
    uncheck the box and the problem goes away.

    Rob V wrote:
    > They both are running XP. SP1 is a service pack, right?
    > I'm pretty sure my system is up to date. How can I go
    > about to see if is SP1?

    I've read about that and looked into it. That field is
    grayed out. I think because I have disabled the
    security. I did that because it wasn't accepting my WEP
    code. Should I re-enable the security and uncheck that
    field (if it is checked)? But the 64 or 128 bit code
    isn't accepted. What to do about that?

    THe only time to enable 802.1x authentication is when you are using WPA
    which the MN-500 doesn't support as well as all the other 802.11b WAPs &
    routers that were released at the same time or earlier.

    Rob V wrote:
    > I've read about that and looked into it. That field is
    > grayed out. I think because I have disabled the
    > security. I did that because it wasn't accepting my WEP
    > code. Should I re-enable the security and uncheck that
    > field (if it is checked)? But the 64 or 128 bit code
    > isn't accepted. What to do about that?

    Are you using the Broadband Network utility to enter the WEP key then?

    Rob V wrote:

    > I've read about that and looked into it. That field is
    > grayed out. I think because I have disabled the
    > security. I did that because it wasn't accepting my WEP
    > code. Should I re-enable the security and uncheck that
    > field (if it is checked)? But the 64 or 128 bit code
    > isn't accepted. What to do about that?

    If I enable security, then I get a "incorrect wireless
    security key" failure. I input my own 64bit key in to
    the base station and then into the wireless adapter (via
    Network Utility) and this is what happens. The 802.1x is
    disabled as far as I can tell.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Uninstall the Broadband networking utility. And use Windows XP to
    configure the wireless connection. The Broadband networking utility has
    some issues like the one you just mentioned on Windows XP. Seeing as
    Windows XP is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless
    networking you can use Windows instead.

    Rob V wrote:

    > If I enable security, then I get a "incorrect wireless
    > security key" failure. I input my own 64bit key in to
    > the base station and then into the wireless adapter (via
    > Network Utility) and this is what happens. The 802.1x is
    > disabled as far as I can tell.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I've uninstalled it, but now it doesn't do anything. I
    guess I don't know how to configure it without the
    utility. I tried to reinstall the utility and it keeps
    faulting and telling me to reset the base station. I've
    done this numerous times but nothing helps. I'm about to
    take this thing back. Can you send or post a Word file
    giving line-by-line instructions for setting it up via
    Windows XP?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    BTW I just did a search at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;KBHOWTO for
    wireless with Windows XP selected as the product to find most of these
    articles. Some of the articles I already knew about. I did the search
    with 150 articles listed.

    The best one for you with detailed directions is "314897 How to set up
    your computer for wireless networking in Windows XP".

    Here are some more Microsoft articles about wireless. These are mainly
    if your have problems after configuring the wireless connection.

    Here are the articles I already knew about wireless

    313242 How to Troubleshoot Wireless Network Connections in Windows XP
    330277 MSBBN: Cannot Obtain Access to Files, Folders, or Web Pages With
    Your Wireless Network
    331950 MSBBN: How to Manually Configure the MN-500 Wireless Base Station
    810955 How to Install, Connect, and Configure Your Wireless Base Station
    810960 MSBBN: Wireless Connection Repeatedly Stops Working
    810962 MSBBN: Wireless Base Station Is Not Detected Through a Wireless
    Adapter
    811039 MSBBN: Installing and Configuring the Wireless Base Station MN-500
    817463 MSBBN: HOW TO: Configure a Wireless Access Point

    Here are the ones I found doing a search for wireless with "Windows XP"
    as the product.

    821371 Capabilities of the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control
    Client and of Universal Plug and Play
    302088 Wireless network adapters may lose connectivity when they appear
    to be functioning
    303607 Bluetooth Wireless Device No Longer Functions After Upgrade to
    Windows XP
    305616 Wireless Networking May Not Function When You Use the "Safe Mode
    with Networking" Option
    309369 How to Make Your 802.11b Wireless Home Network More Secure
    309495 Problems with Windows Installer Over Wireless Connection
    314801 Wireless Modem May Not Start
    323183 Availability of Windows XP Service Pack 1 Support for Bluetooth
    Wireless Devices
    324024 Wireless Network Adapter Appears as Disconnected
    328647 The Wireless Connection Icon Shows "Unavailable" After Your
    Computer Resumes from Standby
    810020 "Wireless Connection Unavailable" Message After Computer Resumes
    from Standby
    815485 Overview of the WPA Wireless Security Update in Windows XP
    821400 Wireless Network Adapter Intermittently Loses Its Connection to
    the Server
    821442 You cannot connect to a wireless access point with the Wi-Fi
    Protected Access update installed
    826239 Small Delay in Logon to Network When You Use a Wireless Network
    Connection
    822725 60-Second to 120-Second Delay Occurs in User Authentication When
    You Log On to Windows XP in a Wireless Network
    827537 Windows XP SP1 and Windows Server 2003 clients cannot connect to
    some third-party wireless implementations of 802.1x
    828940 Wireless Client Cannot Reconnect to a Wireless Access Point
    831749 Support WebCast: How to Set Up and Improve the Security of Home
    Wireless Networks
    837123 Laptop computer produces buzzing noises when you use
    CardBus/PCMCIA wireless 802.11 adapters
    834525 Wireless network connection for a preferred wireless access point
    is unavailable
    834565 It takes a long time to connect to your wireless network when you
    start your Windows XP-based computer
    841800 Wireless Network Connection dialog box does not display the
    actual signal strength for all the wireless networks that are within
    range of your Windows XP-based computer
    811427 Your Computer Connects to an Access Point That Broadcasts Its
    SSID Instead of an Access Point That Does Not Broadcast its SSID
    837911 TechNet Support WebCast: IEEE 802.1x authentication client in
    Microsoft Windows for wireless and wired networks
    821978 Group Policy Support for 802.11 and 802.1x Added in Windows XP
    Service Pack 1
    314445 Mobile Information Server Administration Tools Do Not Work with
    Windows XP
    313896 DHCP Clients Cannot Obtain an IP Address from the DHCP Server
    314067 How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP
    169289 DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) Basics
    121005 DHCP Options Supported by Clients
    278277 "Use Wireless Link to Transfer Images" Check Box Is Cleared by
    Default, but the Feature Does Not Respond Correctly
    305551 HOW TO: Configure a Wireless Link That Uses Infrared in Windows XP
    816961 HOW TO: Locate Help for Bluetooth Wireless Devices
    820884 TPC: Logitech Wireless Keyboard Driver Installation Breaks
    Programmable Tablet Hardware Buttons
    826942 Wireless update rollup package for Windows XP is available
    320229 Windows XP DHCP Client Incorrectly Sends Unicast Discover Message
    812931 WinXP: Error Messages When You Log On to the Computer
    303597 Cannot Establish Network Connection and No Notification
    "Balloons" Appear
    309640 Creating a Bridge with Two Internal Adapters on a Windows XP
    Internet Connection Sharing Host Does Not Work
    306819 Release Notes for Windows XP Contained in the Relnotes.htm File
    830471 You experience intermittent connectivity when you connect to a
    network from a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
    283429 How to prevent the Network Setup Wizard from creating a bridge in
    Windows XP
    816486 Windows XP Setup Creates a Network Bridge Between Two or More
    Network Devices
    302348 Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter
    315978 Network Problems with a Router in Windows XP
    317506 You May Not Be Able to Log On to the Domain with VPN If a Winsock
    Proxy Is Enabled
    324243 Error Message "Your Network Is Configured Such That You Can Not
    Make Phone Calls" with a Linksys Router
    326119 Event Viewer May Show IrEvents Error 8205 If the Irmon Service Is
    Stopped
    831385 You receive a Stop error when network traffic is initiated and a
    filter driver is loaded
    305588 HOW TO: Configure Your Computer for Infrared Communication in
    Windows XP
    312171 HOW TO: Configure Offline Files to Synchronize When a Particular
    Network Connection Becomes Active
    324891 Support WebCast: Microsoft Windows XP: Troubleshooting Internet
    Connectivity
    817778 Overview of the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP

    Here are the ones I found doing a search for wireless with "Broadband
    Networking Hardware" as the product.

    833768 Microsoft Broadband Networking Setup Wizard does not start
    817461 MSBBN: How to Set up a USB Satellite Connection to Use Internet
    Connection Sharing
    331939 MSBBN: MN-500: How to Add the WEP Key on a Computer That Does Not
    Have a Floppy Disk Drive
    810963 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to the Internet Through Microsoft Broadband
    Networking Hardware
    810953 MSBBN: How to Install the MN-110, MN-120, MN-130, MN-510, and
    MN-520 Network Adapters
    810966 MSBBN: Computer Setting Windows Do Not Open
    810964 MSBBN: How to Manually Configure Your Base Station With Windows
    330324 MSBBN: Computers Connected to Your Base Station Through Ethernet
    Cannot Obtain Access to Your Network
    810965 MSBBN: SBC Yahoo or Ameritec Users Cannot Connect to the Internet
    After Installing Base Station
    331918 MSBBN: MSBBN Problems with PPPoE Setup and Programming the Base
    Station
    811059 MSBBN: CNet PRO200WL 10/100 Network Adapter Loses Connectivity
    with Base Station
    823533 MSBBN: "There Was A Problem Configuring Your Base Station..."
    Error Message When You Run the Microsoft Broadband Networking Setup Program
    814155 MSBBN: How to Use Ping.exe to Check Your Microsoft Broadband
    Network Adapter
    820076 MSBBN: Cannot Set-up Third-Party Ethernet Adapter for Microsoft
    Broadband Networking
    823381 MSBBN: MN-120 or MN-520 PC Card Network Adapter Is Not Detected,
    Card Lights Do Not Turn On
    822531 "MSBNUTIL Caused a General Protection Fault" Error Message When
    You Start the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility
    819520 MSBBN: Streaming Video and Internet Gaming Do Not Perform as
    Expected When You Use MSN Broadband
    819516 MSBBN: MN-110 or MN-510 USB Network Adapter Does Not Function
    814489 MSBBN: Host Name Blocks Internet Access in Base Station
    Management Tool Settings
    814446 MSBBN: How to Share Your Computer's Internet Connection Through
    Your Base Station
    814223 MSBBN: Internet Connection Does Not Work with MSN Broadband
    814158 MSBBN: MSN Broadband PPPoA Connection Problem with Arescom Modem
    NETDSL 800
    331949 MSBBN: How to Reset the Base Station
    823404 MSBBN: "Xbox Live Not Found" Error Message When You Try to
    Connect to Your Xbox Live Server Computer Through Your Microsoft Base
    Station
    817460 MSBBN: Your Password Is Not Accepted When You Try to Log On to
    Your Base Station
    814485 MSBBN: Bridging Mode and the Microsoft Base Station
    814220 MSBBN: Share Printers Manually over Your Broadband Network
    814152 MSBBN: "A Network Cable Is Unplugged" Message When You Try to Use
    a Network Cable to Connect to Your MN-100 or MN-500
    813441 Connectivity Issues with Your CNet PRO200WL 10/100 Network Adapter
    331933 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to the Internet Without a Cloned Media
    Access Control Address
    329126 MSBBN: Cannot Access Internet Mail and News Services After You
    Install the Microsoft Broadband Networking Base Station
    814486 MSBBN: Cannot Install Your Notebook Adapter on Your PDA
    329123 MSBBN: "HTTP/1.0 404 Object Not Found" Error Message When You Try
    to Access the Microsoft Base Station Management Tool
    822529 Broadband Networking Setup Program Cannot Find Files
    823256 MSBBN: "Iphlpapi.dll Cannot Start" Error Message When You Try to
    Install Broadband
    817459 MSBBN: Cannot Configure Base Station During Setup or Connect to a
    Network
    329127 MSBBN: The "Other Network Devices" List in the Microsoft
    Broadband Network Utility Is Not Updated
    329124 MSBBN: "Problem Configuring Your Base Station" Error Message When
    You Try to Configure Your Microsoft Broadband Networking Base Station
    814474 MSBBN: Automatic Firmware Update Does Not Work
    823368 MSBBN: Cannot Connect a Microsoft Wireless Network Adapter to a
    Linksys Wireless Router
    831744 Cannot move between wireless networks by using your Broadband
    Networking Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-720
    833769 MN-510 Wireless USB network adapter does not connect to your
    wireless network after you use it with TiVo
    836515 Windows may not detect your MN-710 wireless adapter after you
    upgrade from the MN-510
    824871 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to MN-500 Wireless Base Station by Using an
    ORiNOCO Wireless Network Adapter
    831743 Cannot connect to DLink wireless access point by using your
    Microsoft Broadband Networking wireless adapter
    329254 MSBBN: Broadband Network Utility Displays Different Wireless
    Signal Strength Value for Each Network Computer
    811057 How to Use a Wireless Network Connection with a Windows XP
    Portable Computer at Home and Work
    822532 Configure Your Wireless Base Station to Use Channel 1, 6, or 11
    836517 Your wireless network name may unexpectedly appear as "MSHOME"
    814221 MSBBN: Setup Not Detecting Wireless Notebook Adapter MN520
    836516 Connection speed may fluctuate between 54 and 24 Mbps for
    Microsoft MN-700 series wireless network adapters
    814154 MSBBN: You Cannot Connect to Your Wireless Network (Network Bridge)
    827332 MSBBN: Windows Automatically Dials a Connection When You Try to
    Connect by Using Your Microsoft Wireless Network Adapter
    827705 MSBBN: Cannot Successfully Enter WEP Key During Wireless Network
    Adapter Setup
    814151 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to Apple Airport Wireless Base Station
    823370 MSBBN: You Cannot Connect to Your MN500 Base Station with a
    Non-Microsoft Wireless Network Adapter
    836519 "File does not contain the settings for an available network"
    error message when you try to configure a wireless network-based computer
    814123 MSBBN: Wireless Network Connection Drops Every Few Minutes
    822389 Cannot Access Resources That Are Located on Another Computer on
    Your Wireless Network
    814080 MSBBN: Wireless Connection Is Periodically Lost
    822530 MSBBN: Wireless Network Activity Causes Noise in Speakers
    831277 Firmware upgrade is available for the Microsoft MN-700 Wireless
    Base Station
    831256 MSBBN: Connectivity Is Lost When You Turn Off DHCP on Your MN-700
    Base Station
    823257 Increase Security on Your MN-500 Wireless Base Station
    831770 How to troubleshoot problems connecting to a wireless network by
    using Microsoft Broadband Networking hardware
    814444 MSBBN: How to Troubleshoot Wireless Internet and Network
    Connection Problems
    814445 MSBBN: How to Update the Firmware on Your Base Station
    812469 MSBBN: Signal Strength Displayed in the Microsoft Broadband
    Network Utility Is Lower Than You Expect
    814157 MSBBN/MN-500 Cannot Connect to VPN
    814487 MSBBN: Power Lights Stay Solid Amber
    831745 Base Station Management Tool navigation pane is not displayed
    836514 Computers may not be able to connect to the MN-700 base station
    by using DHCP
    831746 Cannot access your local area network or your wide area network
    when you try to connect to your MN-700 Base Station
    823369 MSBBN: "There Was an Error Programming the Base Station" Error
    Message When You Try to Configure Your Base Station
    836518 "File not found" error message when you try to use a saved
    network settings file to configure your Microsoft Broadband Networking
    hardware
    812951 MSBBN: How to Troubleshoot Microsoft Broadband Internet
    Connection Problems
    823383 MSBBN: Microsoft Broadband Networking Adapter Does Not Work with
    Windows NT 3.5x or 4.0
    819514 MSBBN: Cannot Access Internet By Using Microsoft MN-100 or MN-500
    Base Station
    814156 MSBBN: Network, Internet, or Base Station Management Tool Are
    Unavailable
    814222 MSBBN: Error Message with Napster or New.net Installed on Your
    Computer
    819501 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to Microsoft Base Station Using an Ethernet
    Cable
    819518 MSBBN: Broadband Network Utility Does Not Connect to the Internet
    By Using Windows 98
    819525 MSBBN: Broadband Network Utility Reports Incorrect Information
    817462 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to an Internet Game from Playstation 2 and Xbox
    823255 MSBBN: Internet, E-mail, or Network Computers are Unavailable
    821799 MSBBN: Connection Issues Occur When You Try to Connect Through a
    Broadband Network Adapter
    329125 MSBBN: Other Network Devices Are Not Displayed in the Broadband
    Network Utility
    814150 MSBBN: Error Message: Setup Requires at Least 16 Bit Color to
    Continue
    836521 You cannot open the Base Station Management Tool for the MN-700
    Base Station

    Rob V wrote:
    > I've uninstalled it, but now it doesn't do anything. I
    > guess I don't know how to configure it without the
    > utility. I tried to reinstall the utility and it keeps
    > faulting and telling me to reset the base station. I've
    > done this numerous times but nothing helps. I'm about to
    > take this thing back. Can you send or post a Word file
    > giving line-by-line instructions for setting it up via
    > Windows XP?

Routers Connection Microsoft Networking