Loosing Connection between MN500 & MN520

Last response: in Networking
June 6, 2004 10:59:30 PM

When I first boot up my systems, I get a good connection
with my wireless. After a few minutes (5-15) I loose
connection. After that, I can't get a connection. Even
if I put the lap top within 5 ft of the base station.
I've removed all security settings on the base station
and laptop. I've changed channels and reinstall the
software on both computers. Nothing helps. What now?
June 7, 2004 5:24:39 AM

Is the computer running Windows XP SP1?

Rob V wrote:

> When I first boot up my systems, I get a good connection
> with my wireless. After a few minutes (5-15) I loose
> connection. After that, I can't get a connection. Even
> if I put the lap top within 5 ft of the base station.
> I've removed all security settings on the base station
> and laptop. I've changed channels and reinstall the
> software on both computers. Nothing helps. What now?
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 7:23:07 PM

They both are running XP. SP1 is a service pack, right?
I'm pretty sure my system is up to date. How can I go
about to see if is SP1?

Related resources
June 8, 2004 3:56:03 AM

If you have SP1 you need to disable the 802.1x authentication. It's in
the properties of the network connection on the authentication tab. You
uncheck the box and the problem goes away.

Rob V wrote:
> They both are running XP. SP1 is a service pack, right?
> I'm pretty sure my system is up to date. How can I go
> about to see if is SP1?

Anonymous
June 8, 2004 8:28:46 AM

I've read about that and looked into it. That field is
grayed out. I think because I have disabled the
security. I did that because it wasn't accepting my WEP
code. Should I re-enable the security and uncheck that
field (if it is checked)? But the 64 or 128 bit code
isn't accepted. What to do about that?

June 8, 2004 12:49:18 PM

THe only time to enable 802.1x authentication is when you are using WPA
which the MN-500 doesn't support as well as all the other 802.11b WAPs &
routers that were released at the same time or earlier.

Rob V wrote:
> I've read about that and looked into it. That field is
> grayed out. I think because I have disabled the
> security. I did that because it wasn't accepting my WEP
> code. Should I re-enable the security and uncheck that
> field (if it is checked)? But the 64 or 128 bit code
> isn't accepted. What to do about that?

June 8, 2004 12:51:13 PM

Are you using the Broadband Network utility to enter the WEP key then?

Rob V wrote:

> I've read about that and looked into it. That field is
> grayed out. I think because I have disabled the
> security. I did that because it wasn't accepting my WEP
> code. Should I re-enable the security and uncheck that
> field (if it is checked)? But the 64 or 128 bit code
> isn't accepted. What to do about that?

Anonymous
June 8, 2004 7:54:55 PM

If I enable security, then I get a "incorrect wireless
security key" failure. I input my own 64bit key in to
the base station and then into the wireless adapter (via
Network Utility) and this is what happens. The 802.1x is
disabled as far as I can tell.

June 8, 2004 11:00:31 PM

Uninstall the Broadband networking utility. And use Windows XP to
configure the wireless connection. The Broadband networking utility has
some issues like the one you just mentioned on Windows XP. Seeing as
Windows XP is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless
networking you can use Windows instead.

Rob V wrote:

> If I enable security, then I get a "incorrect wireless
> security key" failure. I input my own 64bit key in to
> the base station and then into the wireless adapter (via
> Network Utility) and this is what happens. The 802.1x is
> disabled as far as I can tell.

Anonymous
June 9, 2004 5:14:39 PM

I've uninstalled it, but now it doesn't do anything. I
guess I don't know how to configure it without the
utility. I tried to reinstall the utility and it keeps
faulting and telling me to reset the base station. I've
done this numerous times but nothing helps. I'm about to
take this thing back. Can you send or post a Word file
giving line-by-line instructions for setting it up via
Windows XP?

June 9, 2004 9:34:03 PM

BTW I just did a search at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;KBHOWTO for
wireless with Windows XP selected as the product to find most of these
articles. Some of the articles I already knew about. I did the search
with 150 articles listed.

The best one for you with detailed directions is "314897 How to set up
your computer for wireless networking in Windows XP".

Here are some more Microsoft articles about wireless. These are mainly
if your have problems after configuring the wireless connection.

Here are the articles I already knew about wireless

313242 How to Troubleshoot Wireless Network Connections in Windows XP
330277 MSBBN: Cannot Obtain Access to Files, Folders, or Web Pages With
Your Wireless Network
331950 MSBBN: How to Manually Configure the MN-500 Wireless Base Station
810955 How to Install, Connect, and Configure Your Wireless Base Station
810960 MSBBN: Wireless Connection Repeatedly Stops Working
810962 MSBBN: Wireless Base Station Is Not Detected Through a Wireless
Adapter
811039 MSBBN: Installing and Configuring the Wireless Base Station MN-500
817463 MSBBN: HOW TO: Configure a Wireless Access Point

Here are the ones I found doing a search for wireless with "Windows XP"
as the product.

821371 Capabilities of the Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control
Client and of Universal Plug and Play
302088 Wireless network adapters may lose connectivity when they appear
to be functioning
303607 Bluetooth Wireless Device No Longer Functions After Upgrade to
Windows XP
305616 Wireless Networking May Not Function When You Use the "Safe Mode
with Networking" Option
309369 How to Make Your 802.11b Wireless Home Network More Secure
309495 Problems with Windows Installer Over Wireless Connection
314801 Wireless Modem May Not Start
323183 Availability of Windows XP Service Pack 1 Support for Bluetooth
Wireless Devices
324024 Wireless Network Adapter Appears as Disconnected
328647 The Wireless Connection Icon Shows "Unavailable" After Your
Computer Resumes from Standby
810020 "Wireless Connection Unavailable" Message After Computer Resumes
from Standby
815485 Overview of the WPA Wireless Security Update in Windows XP
821400 Wireless Network Adapter Intermittently Loses Its Connection to
the Server
821442 You cannot connect to a wireless access point with the Wi-Fi
Protected Access update installed
826239 Small Delay in Logon to Network When You Use a Wireless Network
Connection
822725 60-Second to 120-Second Delay Occurs in User Authentication When
You Log On to Windows XP in a Wireless Network
827537 Windows XP SP1 and Windows Server 2003 clients cannot connect to
some third-party wireless implementations of 802.1x
828940 Wireless Client Cannot Reconnect to a Wireless Access Point
831749 Support WebCast: How to Set Up and Improve the Security of Home
Wireless Networks
837123 Laptop computer produces buzzing noises when you use
CardBus/PCMCIA wireless 802.11 adapters
834525 Wireless network connection for a preferred wireless access point
is unavailable
834565 It takes a long time to connect to your wireless network when you
start your Windows XP-based computer
841800 Wireless Network Connection dialog box does not display the
actual signal strength for all the wireless networks that are within
range of your Windows XP-based computer
811427 Your Computer Connects to an Access Point That Broadcasts Its
SSID Instead of an Access Point That Does Not Broadcast its SSID
837911 TechNet Support WebCast: IEEE 802.1x authentication client in
Microsoft Windows for wireless and wired networks
821978 Group Policy Support for 802.11 and 802.1x Added in Windows XP
Service Pack 1
314445 Mobile Information Server Administration Tools Do Not Work with
Windows XP
313896 DHCP Clients Cannot Obtain an IP Address from the DHCP Server
314067 How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP
169289 DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) Basics
121005 DHCP Options Supported by Clients
278277 "Use Wireless Link to Transfer Images" Check Box Is Cleared by
Default, but the Feature Does Not Respond Correctly
305551 HOW TO: Configure a Wireless Link That Uses Infrared in Windows XP
816961 HOW TO: Locate Help for Bluetooth Wireless Devices
820884 TPC: Logitech Wireless Keyboard Driver Installation Breaks
Programmable Tablet Hardware Buttons
826942 Wireless update rollup package for Windows XP is available
320229 Windows XP DHCP Client Incorrectly Sends Unicast Discover Message
812931 WinXP: Error Messages When You Log On to the Computer
303597 Cannot Establish Network Connection and No Notification
"Balloons" Appear
309640 Creating a Bridge with Two Internal Adapters on a Windows XP
Internet Connection Sharing Host Does Not Work
306819 Release Notes for Windows XP Contained in the Relnotes.htm File
830471 You experience intermittent connectivity when you connect to a
network from a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
283429 How to prevent the Network Setup Wizard from creating a bridge in
Windows XP
816486 Windows XP Setup Creates a Network Bridge Between Two or More
Network Devices
302348 Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter
315978 Network Problems with a Router in Windows XP
317506 You May Not Be Able to Log On to the Domain with VPN If a Winsock
Proxy Is Enabled
324243 Error Message "Your Network Is Configured Such That You Can Not
Make Phone Calls" with a Linksys Router
326119 Event Viewer May Show IrEvents Error 8205 If the Irmon Service Is
Stopped
831385 You receive a Stop error when network traffic is initiated and a
filter driver is loaded
305588 HOW TO: Configure Your Computer for Infrared Communication in
Windows XP
312171 HOW TO: Configure Offline Files to Synchronize When a Particular
Network Connection Becomes Active
324891 Support WebCast: Microsoft Windows XP: Troubleshooting Internet
Connectivity
817778 Overview of the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP

Here are the ones I found doing a search for wireless with "Broadband
Networking Hardware" as the product.

833768 Microsoft Broadband Networking Setup Wizard does not start
817461 MSBBN: How to Set up a USB Satellite Connection to Use Internet
Connection Sharing
331939 MSBBN: MN-500: How to Add the WEP Key on a Computer That Does Not
Have a Floppy Disk Drive
810963 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to the Internet Through Microsoft Broadband
Networking Hardware
810953 MSBBN: How to Install the MN-110, MN-120, MN-130, MN-510, and
MN-520 Network Adapters
810966 MSBBN: Computer Setting Windows Do Not Open
810964 MSBBN: How to Manually Configure Your Base Station With Windows
330324 MSBBN: Computers Connected to Your Base Station Through Ethernet
Cannot Obtain Access to Your Network
810965 MSBBN: SBC Yahoo or Ameritec Users Cannot Connect to the Internet
After Installing Base Station
331918 MSBBN: MSBBN Problems with PPPoE Setup and Programming the Base
Station
811059 MSBBN: CNet PRO200WL 10/100 Network Adapter Loses Connectivity
with Base Station
823533 MSBBN: "There Was A Problem Configuring Your Base Station..."
Error Message When You Run the Microsoft Broadband Networking Setup Program
814155 MSBBN: How to Use Ping.exe to Check Your Microsoft Broadband
Network Adapter
820076 MSBBN: Cannot Set-up Third-Party Ethernet Adapter for Microsoft
Broadband Networking
823381 MSBBN: MN-120 or MN-520 PC Card Network Adapter Is Not Detected,
Card Lights Do Not Turn On
822531 "MSBNUTIL Caused a General Protection Fault" Error Message When
You Start the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility
819520 MSBBN: Streaming Video and Internet Gaming Do Not Perform as
Expected When You Use MSN Broadband
819516 MSBBN: MN-110 or MN-510 USB Network Adapter Does Not Function
814489 MSBBN: Host Name Blocks Internet Access in Base Station
Management Tool Settings
814446 MSBBN: How to Share Your Computer's Internet Connection Through
Your Base Station
814223 MSBBN: Internet Connection Does Not Work with MSN Broadband
814158 MSBBN: MSN Broadband PPPoA Connection Problem with Arescom Modem
NETDSL 800
331949 MSBBN: How to Reset the Base Station
823404 MSBBN: "Xbox Live Not Found" Error Message When You Try to
Connect to Your Xbox Live Server Computer Through Your Microsoft Base
Station
817460 MSBBN: Your Password Is Not Accepted When You Try to Log On to
Your Base Station
814485 MSBBN: Bridging Mode and the Microsoft Base Station
814220 MSBBN: Share Printers Manually over Your Broadband Network
814152 MSBBN: "A Network Cable Is Unplugged" Message When You Try to Use
a Network Cable to Connect to Your MN-100 or MN-500
813441 Connectivity Issues with Your CNet PRO200WL 10/100 Network Adapter
331933 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to the Internet Without a Cloned Media
Access Control Address
329126 MSBBN: Cannot Access Internet Mail and News Services After You
Install the Microsoft Broadband Networking Base Station
814486 MSBBN: Cannot Install Your Notebook Adapter on Your PDA
329123 MSBBN: "HTTP/1.0 404 Object Not Found" Error Message When You Try
to Access the Microsoft Base Station Management Tool
822529 Broadband Networking Setup Program Cannot Find Files
823256 MSBBN: "Iphlpapi.dll Cannot Start" Error Message When You Try to
Install Broadband
817459 MSBBN: Cannot Configure Base Station During Setup or Connect to a
Network
329127 MSBBN: The "Other Network Devices" List in the Microsoft
Broadband Network Utility Is Not Updated
329124 MSBBN: "Problem Configuring Your Base Station" Error Message When
You Try to Configure Your Microsoft Broadband Networking Base Station
814474 MSBBN: Automatic Firmware Update Does Not Work
823368 MSBBN: Cannot Connect a Microsoft Wireless Network Adapter to a
Linksys Wireless Router
831744 Cannot move between wireless networks by using your Broadband
Networking Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-720
833769 MN-510 Wireless USB network adapter does not connect to your
wireless network after you use it with TiVo
836515 Windows may not detect your MN-710 wireless adapter after you
upgrade from the MN-510
824871 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to MN-500 Wireless Base Station by Using an
ORiNOCO Wireless Network Adapter
831743 Cannot connect to DLink wireless access point by using your
Microsoft Broadband Networking wireless adapter
329254 MSBBN: Broadband Network Utility Displays Different Wireless
Signal Strength Value for Each Network Computer
811057 How to Use a Wireless Network Connection with a Windows XP
Portable Computer at Home and Work
822532 Configure Your Wireless Base Station to Use Channel 1, 6, or 11
836517 Your wireless network name may unexpectedly appear as "MSHOME"
814221 MSBBN: Setup Not Detecting Wireless Notebook Adapter MN520
836516 Connection speed may fluctuate between 54 and 24 Mbps for
Microsoft MN-700 series wireless network adapters
814154 MSBBN: You Cannot Connect to Your Wireless Network (Network Bridge)
827332 MSBBN: Windows Automatically Dials a Connection When You Try to
Connect by Using Your Microsoft Wireless Network Adapter
827705 MSBBN: Cannot Successfully Enter WEP Key During Wireless Network
Adapter Setup
814151 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to Apple Airport Wireless Base Station
823370 MSBBN: You Cannot Connect to Your MN500 Base Station with a
Non-Microsoft Wireless Network Adapter
836519 "File does not contain the settings for an available network"
error message when you try to configure a wireless network-based computer
814123 MSBBN: Wireless Network Connection Drops Every Few Minutes
822389 Cannot Access Resources That Are Located on Another Computer on
Your Wireless Network
814080 MSBBN: Wireless Connection Is Periodically Lost
822530 MSBBN: Wireless Network Activity Causes Noise in Speakers
831277 Firmware upgrade is available for the Microsoft MN-700 Wireless
Base Station
831256 MSBBN: Connectivity Is Lost When You Turn Off DHCP on Your MN-700
Base Station
823257 Increase Security on Your MN-500 Wireless Base Station
831770 How to troubleshoot problems connecting to a wireless network by
using Microsoft Broadband Networking hardware
814444 MSBBN: How to Troubleshoot Wireless Internet and Network
Connection Problems
814445 MSBBN: How to Update the Firmware on Your Base Station
812469 MSBBN: Signal Strength Displayed in the Microsoft Broadband
Network Utility Is Lower Than You Expect
814157 MSBBN/MN-500 Cannot Connect to VPN
814487 MSBBN: Power Lights Stay Solid Amber
831745 Base Station Management Tool navigation pane is not displayed
836514 Computers may not be able to connect to the MN-700 base station
by using DHCP
831746 Cannot access your local area network or your wide area network
when you try to connect to your MN-700 Base Station
823369 MSBBN: "There Was an Error Programming the Base Station" Error
Message When You Try to Configure Your Base Station
836518 "File not found" error message when you try to use a saved
network settings file to configure your Microsoft Broadband Networking
hardware
812951 MSBBN: How to Troubleshoot Microsoft Broadband Internet
Connection Problems
823383 MSBBN: Microsoft Broadband Networking Adapter Does Not Work with
Windows NT 3.5x or 4.0
819514 MSBBN: Cannot Access Internet By Using Microsoft MN-100 or MN-500
Base Station
814156 MSBBN: Network, Internet, or Base Station Management Tool Are
Unavailable
814222 MSBBN: Error Message with Napster or New.net Installed on Your
Computer
819501 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to Microsoft Base Station Using an Ethernet
Cable
819518 MSBBN: Broadband Network Utility Does Not Connect to the Internet
By Using Windows 98
819525 MSBBN: Broadband Network Utility Reports Incorrect Information
817462 MSBBN: Cannot Connect to an Internet Game from Playstation 2 and Xbox
823255 MSBBN: Internet, E-mail, or Network Computers are Unavailable
821799 MSBBN: Connection Issues Occur When You Try to Connect Through a
Broadband Network Adapter
329125 MSBBN: Other Network Devices Are Not Displayed in the Broadband
Network Utility
814150 MSBBN: Error Message: Setup Requires at Least 16 Bit Color to
Continue
836521 You cannot open the Base Station Management Tool for the MN-700
Base Station

!