Tags:
  • Memory
  • DDR
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 24, 2003 2:27:36 PM

I'm designing a new computer and using the new Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, which uses the Intel 875P chip. The board is rated for PC3200 DDR RAM, and I'm planning on installing 3GB of OCZ matched DDR(6x512) -- Photoshop use.

QUESTION: Is there any advantage, speed-wise or stability-wise, to installing PC3500 or PC3700 RAM instead of the PC3200 -- or am I just wasting my money? Actually I don't even know if I can use the PC3500/3700 RAM.

Paul Prachun

More about : ddr memory speed

July 24, 2003 3:04:24 PM

If your going to overclock the board then get the faster memory. If not,just get the 3200 and run it in sync with the cpu speed. The faster memory will (should) provide better stability if you overclock since its rated to run at those speeds. I would just save the money and be sure to get a good video card.
You will be able to use the pc3500/3700 if the board will overclock to those speeds. If not it will just run at 3200 speeds.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 24, 2003 4:42:06 PM

Thanks for saving me some $$$ here sturm. That's what I sort of thought, but I didn't realize that it had to do with overclocking.
Now, if I could just find an article or two on how memory/overclocking actually works, then maybe I might consider doing some OCing. On the other hand I somewhat doubt this will result in any benefits for my Photoshop work -- don't do any gaming.

Paul Prachun
Related resources
July 24, 2003 4:53:22 PM

Overclocking, even the slightest one hurts stability and I doubt you want that when working with Photoshop.

Coppermine, Banias, Opteron, Prescott, Barton... How 'bout investing less in the CPU and more in its name?
July 24, 2003 7:17:06 PM

that is far from the truth...if you know what you are doing and overclock consurvitivly then you will have no problems with PS...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil: 
July 25, 2003 4:13:51 PM

Quote:
... designing a new computer and using the new Gigabyte GA-8KNXP ... I'm planning on installing 3GB of OCZ matched DDR(6x512) ...

The OCZ 512MB memory modules are double-sided. 8KNXP can't use 6 double-sided memory modules at one time.

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 25, 2003 6:46:54 PM

Hi Prof133: Really appreciate you responding here. As you can probably surmise, I'm a relative novice at this and don't understand this double/single sided aspect of RAM modules.

Does this mean I can't use 6 of these double-sided modules but could let's say use 4? -- the board has 6 DIMM slots.

Or, does this mean I have to use another brand of RAM which is not double-sided? Can I even get 3 Gigs of RAM on this board? That was one of the main reasons I chose this board.

Finally, where did you find out this info about the memory modules? I've reviewed the on-line manual at Gigabyte's site and can't find any specifics in regard to this. -- Thanks

Paul Prachun
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 25, 2003 8:36:33 PM

Hi Again Prof133:
OK, I think I'm getting the hang of this. Just read the GA-8KNXP manual re: memory and you are absolutely right. I see that I can place only up to 2 double-sided modules, which will give me 2 Gigs of RAM.

Question: How do I, or CAN I get 3Gigs of PC3200 RAM onto this MoBo? Are there single-sided PC3200 512 DDR modules? Or am I whistling Dixie here? Have looked at memory module descriptions on Newegg.com and a couple of other sites but they don't specify single or double sided! The specs for the MoBo say it'll take up to 4Gigs of RAM.

And I thought buiding a 'puter was easier than mammography! -- I'm sticking with my day job.

Paul Prachun
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 25, 2003 8:37:33 PM

Ya the MB can only adresse 8 pages I think. So you could have 4 double sided(almost only OCZ feature double sided)or 8 single sided...Im pretty sure this is right some1 correct me if im wrong.
July 25, 2003 8:40:32 PM

Quote:
Does this mean I can't use 6 of these double-sided modules but could let's say use 4? -- the board has 6 DIMM slots.

For 8KNXP, four of the memory slots (purple in color) will all only work while using single-sided memory. All 512MB DDR memory modules that i'm aware of are double-sided. And the 256MB DDR memory modules that i'm aware of are single-sided. If double-sided memory is used, only two out of the four purple slots will function. So, if one installs 6x512MB memory modules, only two of the four 512MB memory modules in the purple slots will function. Therefore, you'll end up with 2GB total of functional memory from among all 6 512MB memory modules when you expected 3GB. Now to answer the questions more directly ...

Quote:
Does this mean I can't use 6 of these double-sided modules ...

They will not function as expected. A portion of the memory will not function. :( 
Quote:
... but could let's say use 4?

Yes, you can install four double-sided memory modules. 4x512MB for example, is OK. :) 
Quote:
Or, does this mean I have to use another brand of RAM which is not double-sided?

All 512MB DDR memory modules that i'm aware of are double-sided.
Quote:
Can I even get 3 Gigs of RAM on this board?

Not with all 512MB and/or 256MB memory modules. You would have to use 1GB memory modules in order to go above 2GB.
Quote:
Finally, where did you find out this info about the memory modules? I've reviewed the on-line manual at Gigabyte's site and can't find any specifics in regard to this.

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDg2" target="_new">HardOCP</A>

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 25, 2003 8:54:21 PM

I gotta love this -- I've learned more on this forum in one day than the past 3 months... wish I could get paid for this! I owe you guys one. -- If you need any advice (off the record of course), about your wife's mammogram, I'm all ears!

So the only way I'm going to get 3GB of RAM is to get 4 1GB double-sided modules, i.e., I get 4 Gigs. Ok, so does anyone make these 1GB PC3200 DDR sticks?

Paul Prachun
July 25, 2003 9:41:08 PM

I believe that Samsung offers a 1GB PC3200 memory module. However, you mentioned the possibility of overclocking and the modules of this type probably aren't conducive to overclocking.

!