Icons wont stay in place

richard694000

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
This all started as malwarebyts updated there program the other day.After done it wanted a restart so i did and when os loaded it froze and could not do anything. So hard shutdown and restarted in safe mode and removed malwarebyts. so i keep unchecking arrange icons to grid but when i restart its rechecked again. what can i do to keep it unchecked?And i do have allow themes to change icons unchecked to.I tried system restore but in windows 7 it has never worked in any of the times ive tried it.
that is in any of the times ive installed windows 7.
Thanks
Rich

Solution

Chances are it was not malwarebytes looks like you might have a rootkit infection malwarebytes alone cannot clean stuff like that what you need to run an external scan via...

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Chances are it was not malwarebytes looks like you might have a rootkit infection malwarebytes alone cannot clean stuff like that what you need to run an external scan via kaspersky rescue cd

The reason system restore will not work is your infected by rootkits and malware after scanning your computer by booting from this cd when you get into windows download tdsskiller and run it.

Solution

richard694000

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

Your right 3 different programs are telling me that but all three are taking the files that control the size and placement of the icons on the desk top. Is there anyway to fix it.If i new exactly what files i could replace them from my other machiene. But so far no luck