Confusion on power supply purchase for my system

venom2099

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
I am getting a replacement ps, but I am confused as what exactly I should buy. I know I want at least a 400W for future growth, and it should be an antec for fortron as those brands are rated high by most people on the boards.

I am looking at the Fortron FSP550-60PLN or the P530XF530W. Will either of these work on an older duron compaq system, which I currently have? Is there really that much difference between the FSP550-60PLN and the TRUE550 or TRUE550 EPS12V?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

venom2099

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
Just wanted to add some more info in to this post.

For some reason that I can't understand, I never bothered to look at the rating on my existing power supply. I just popped the cover and to my suprise I see a 250W unit looking back at me! That certainly explains my problem!

In the last four months I have added a 120 GB 7200 rpm hard drive and a ti4200 graphics card. I should have thought about the power supply, but I didn't.

Anyhow, here are some of the problems I have been dealing with:

Random lockups where the screen is frozen and the mouse and keyboard do not respond.

Blue screen of death with an error involving my nvidia drivers

Reboots where the monitor does not receive any signal from the cpu. After a few restarts it works fine

Had to remove and reseat the memory as the POST was reporting a fatal error. Afterwards no memory problem.

On restart the system redetects drives. It sees my primary 120 GB maxtor, but misses my 30 GB slave. After another restart it then see it.

Explorer freezes whenever I right click on any icon or menu. I'm not sure if this is directly tied in to everything else, but it sure is annoying.

Anyhow, I am going to put in the order for the Fortron FSP550-60PLN and see what happens.

If anyone cares to comment or make any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
sounds like u needed more juice yes.
Good luck with the new PSU.

<b><i>"Why don't you try practicing random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control?"</b></i> :eek:

venom2099

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
A real simple question (hopefully?)...

Some of the power supplies, Antec included, look like they come with dual fans, the normal one and one on the bottom. Does this really make that much difference in th cooling vs a standard setup?