Hardware Recommendation

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
I am planning on purchasing a new PC this fall. The two things that I want it to do is to be my portable gaming system and to capture video / burn DVD's. My plan is to purchase a Shuttle Mini PC. I will get probably a 120G drive in it, and a Sony DRU510A DVD burner. My main question is for the video card. If I get a 9700 Pro AIW, will it let me record TV shows then burn them to DVD? Would it be better to get a second card to capture the video and have a dedicated VGA card?

I would be going with the Shuttle PC with the nForce2 chipset (SN45G) and an AMD, probably 2500 Barton or so, depending on prices in November. Are there any problems running an ATI card in the nForce chipset? Also, this has a 200W PS. I was going to skip the FDD but add an extra fan in its place. While we would all LIKE 550W, will 200W be enough?
What is everyone's thoughts?? Thanks!

I've got a <font color=red>fever</font color=red>,
and the only <i>perscription</i>
is more <b>cowbell</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First thing is, you should have a separate hard drive for recording TV. You could put it in place of the floppy, as putting two drives in that small hard drive space would create too much heat.

Also, the stress on the power supply would be terrible, and the system might be unstable, or even fail.

Have you considered a slim tower or desktop Micro ATX unit with a larger power supply? The really expensive Coolermaster desktop is very small (around 2 inches shorter than that cube and around 4 inches wider) and would look great if the thing were also being used as an HTPC.

There are cheaper cases with similar features in that size on the market now, but I can't remember all the names. You could look for them at larger online retailers such as Newegg.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

In addition o Crash's suggestions; have you thought of a HORNET. They are similar in form factor to the Shuttles, but much more powerful and explandable.

Check them out here;
<A HREF="http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=hornet" target="_new">http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=hornet</A>

The additional HD is a good idea not just for a dump drive, but also allows easy cleanup of your C: drive. Go with at least 1gb of memory (although it won't matter as much if it is CL2 or 2.5 , because you just need dump space). Get a P4 HT proc. The Hyperthreading helps in apps like recording, rendering, converting, editing, etc. Also if you have power concerns then use an ATI AIW 9600PRo, it will greatly reduce the draw on you system but still give you reasonable gaming.

That's my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LMAO! Perfect! A MICRO ATX PC POSING AS AN SFF!!!

Yes, this is a TRUE Micro ATX case, with a micro ATX board, everything! The major weaknesses are, as usual:
1.) SFX power supply
2.) Nearly TWICE as tall as a standard horizontal Micro ATX desktop, such as the Collermaster unit
3.) Nearly TWICE as wide as a slim Micro ATX tower

Basically it's all for looks, which is actually pretty great for people stupid enough to buy into the whole "SFF Cool Factor" but still smart enough to want a real motherboard.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Yeah, but it depends on what you are doing with them.

The thing is that you CAN upgrade the PSU (I've seen alot of people pop do that [first thing they mention]) unlike the Shuttle, and it is a little bulky but it does give you the additional space (which I like for cooling and upgrades). The whole thing is what you are using it for. As an entertainment unit only? Nah not as good as a slim case that will fit in the rack. However if you want something that will lug around well, and also give you more expandability, I think it's pretty good. You just have to know where it fits, and I would take it any day over the Shuttles, especially due to the upgradable PSU and better airflow. If I wanted really small then I'd go with the mini-Itx which is much smaller than the MICRO-ATX or even Flex-ATXs.

BTW, I'v always loved CUBEs, I wanted to get a LARGE one (fits regular ATX mobo) for my gaming 'desktop' (for beside the desk) because it would give me awesome space or airflow and explandibility (usually 6+ 5" bays; 4+ 3" bays), and it would give me a place to put my keyboard, disks, and a Dinner Plate and Glass. :wink:
Too bad no one in town had anything except the GIANT server CUBE cases (now that's too big) and I did't want to order one sight unseen online.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: