Best Laptop Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunsande

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Ahoi!

I want to buy a new laptop with the best possible display (15-17").
I have already seen the new models from ASUS, Sony, Acer, Toshiba, MSI and some older devices (>2 years old) from HP, IBM and Dell.

The Sony displays stays always one level above the others. I'm not saying that Asus, for example, has bad displays. I just find Sony's better. I know it is generally a personal opinion but it will be really hard to find someone that will agree that Sony has bad display's quality.
Unfortunately, mine 1 year experience working in a small computer shop shows that the quality (not the design!) of Sony laptops is not so good in comparisson with Asus for example . (we have sold more than 25 ASUS laptops and not even one defective, whereas we had about 10 times problems with Sony laptops).

Please send links to laptop displays quality tests (if there are any). Your advises are also welcome!

Thanks!
sunsande

XOTICPC

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I believe sony uses a glossy type display that makes the colors look more vibrant amongst other things. There are ASUS, Compal and Sager models that have a glossy type display i think you are after.

Were the Sony's you have seen glossy?

sunsande

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Thanks for the replay!

Yes, that's true - the Sony calls this technology XBrite or Clear Bright, Asus has Color Shine or something similar ... and yes I had in mind only "glossy" type of displays.

Many people say that there are "reflections" with such type of screens, but I like them, or at least my eyes say - this monitors are good for us :).
Currently I use Sony SDM HS75P for desktop.

Anyway if you have the chance to start new Sony and ASUS laptops on a same table, you'll see the difference (Sony is much better - more sharp with more "real" colors - just personal feeling and opinion).
And this difference holds me from buying the ASUS at the moment. In fact I tried this several times: I said myself ok Asus is good anyway let's take it and then I threw just a short look at Sony's monitor ... and then - lets see if there is something better - I still haven't seen similar types of displays from IBM, Dell and HP ...
I wonder if Sony produce the displays themselfs or they buy them from some company ... and what other laptop producer buys from the same company (or Sony itself) ...

sunsande

msharch

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Inconsitent illumination on laptop screens (except Macs) is an egregious problem. Take any common brand laptop and turn on a solid color and you will see a gradation on light color at the bottom to dark at the top. This is truly incredible. The industry and product reviewers do not address this major design flaw. Viewing angles contnue to be poor as well. Mac displays seem to have a better handle on the issue and rightfully should steal the market if adquate displays are not provided for the large laptop market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS