Line-in into Laptop Problem.

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 6:31:05 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-N505SN laptop. I need to start using it for
audio projects but the problem I have is that it only provides you with
a mic in socket. I need line level in and obviously that distorts
dreadfully.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of getting line level into the
laptop using one of my USB sockets? The only alternative I can think of
would be via the PCMCIA slot but I would rather go the USB way if
possible and if anything exists!

Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks guys,

Keffster

More about : line laptop problem

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 6:54:14 AM

Great idea, Don. Thank you so much but unfortunately my laptop doesn't
give me that facility. Thanks once again, Keff
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 11:36:18 AM

<the_keffster@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if there is a way of getting line level into the
>laptop using one of my USB sockets? The only alternative I can think of
>would be via the PCMCIA slot but I would rather go the USB way if
>possible and if anything exists!

Consider the little outboard A/D box from Lavry. It's only around $250
and you get two XLRs with line or mike inputs and a USB out. And it
actually sounds good, which is pretty impressive at that price point.
--scott

a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 12:43:47 PM

Keff,

> Can anyone tell me if there is a way of getting line level into the laptop
using one of my USB sockets? <

There are *many* such affordable devices from the $39 SoundBlaster MP3
through the $100 M-Audio Sonica (does 7.1 surround), and upwards from there.
Do you know Google? Try "USB sound card" and you'll see it all.

--Ethan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 1:39:36 PM

On 3 Jul 2005 02:31:05 -0700, the_keffster@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I have a Sony Vaio PCG-N505SN laptop. I need to start using it for
>audio projects but the problem I have is that it only provides you with
>a mic in socket. I need line level in and obviously that distorts
>dreadfully.
>
>Can anyone tell me if there is a way of getting line level into the
>laptop using one of my USB sockets? The only alternative I can think of
>would be via the PCMCIA slot but I would rather go the USB way if
>possible and if anything exists!
>
>Any help would be greatfully received.
>
>Thanks guys,
>
>Keffster

With many laptops, if you open up the windows mixer in recording mode
and select line in, the mic connector becomes a line in instead. Worth
a try.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 3:15:11 PM

In article <1120383065.562812.286500@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> the_keffster@hotmail.com writes:

> I have a Sony Vaio PCG-N505SN laptop. I need to start using it for
> audio projects but the problem I have is that it only provides you with
> a mic in socket.

> Can anyone tell me if there is a way of getting line level into the
> laptop using one of my USB sockets?

There are many, many USB audio interfaces that have line level inputs.
YOu can get one for under $100 (that might also have mic level inputs)
or spend several hundred dollars. Go to a music store that has a pro
audio department and ask what they have. This isn't a computer store
item so don't look for it in a computer store.

Cheap: Edirol UA-1X
Modest: M-Audio MobilePre USB, TASCAM US-122
Expensive: Lavry Mini PRS-2

If you want to go really, really cheap, I think you can still by a patch cable
that has a mini phone plug on one end (to mate with the mic inputs on your
computer) and attenuation built in so that you can drive a mic input from a
line level source. They were common when the only input on a portable
cassette recorder was a mic input on a mini jack, and a cable like this
was used to copy from one recorder to another. But this gets you into
finding out whether your computer's mic input is stereo or mono (many
are mono, with the expectation that you'll be using it as a telephone) and
how to deal with stereo-to-mono or vice versa since your line level
sources will almost certainly be stereo these days.

a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 3:21:14 PM

<the_keffster@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone tell me if there is a way of getting line level into the
> laptop using one of my USB sockets? The only alternative I can think of
> would be via the PCMCIA slot but I would rather go the USB way if
> possible and if anything exists!

Here's the one I use. The Sound Devices USB Pre It has wonderful mic pre's,
a superior headphone amp and lots of input output options. See it at:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/usbpremaster.htm

USBPre Features
a.. Dynamic range greater than 106 dB (in 24-bit operation)
b.. Flat 10 Hz to 22 kHz audio bandwidth
c.. Exceptionally low distortion characteristics
d.. Two inputs accept microphone, instrument, line, or tape level inputs
e.. Input type is selected per channel - allowing two different signal
types simultaneously
f.. Phantom power (48 volt) for condenser microphones
g.. S/PDIF coaxial input and output
h.. Six-segment LED peak input meter
i.. High-power headphone monitor
j.. Mix control enables headphone monitoring of analog source audio,
computer audio, or a mix of both source and computer audio
k.. Phono (RCA) jacks connect PC AUDIO output to external loudspeakers or
preamplifiers
l.. Bus powering from the USB port eliminates external power sources and
batteries
m.. High-strength extruded aluminum chassis
n.. Compact dimension (4.4 cm H x 18.5 cm W x 10.0 cm D)
o.. Mac® OS 9, Sound Manager compatible, OS X Core Audio
p.. Windows 98®, ME®, 2000®, and XP® Wave audio and DirectSound compatible
q.. ASIO for both Mac OS 9 and Windows
Frequency Response:
(reference 1 kHz) 10 Hz - 20 kHz, ±0.5 dB (any input to PC recording) 10
Hz - 20 kHz, +/- 1.0 dB (PC source to PC audio out)

E.I.N.:
(mic inputs) -124 dBu min. (10 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, 150 ohm source, gain
control at 50% or more, 15 dB pad out)

Output Impedance:
PC audio -3.3k ohms, headphones - 20 ohms

S/PDIF Digital:
24-bit maximum input, 20-bit maximumhardware output (limited to 16-bit
output in Windows Me and OS 9 Sound Manager), sample rate and bit depth
selected by recording software and operating system

Sample Rates / Bit Depths:
Recording: 8, 16, or 24-bit at 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
Playback: 8, 16-bit at 5 to 55 kHz, will play back 24-bit sources at 16-bit

Master Clock:
(recording) PLL generated, low jitter

Metering:
input level at A/D converter, 6- segment, 30 dB total range, peak
responding, 0 dB on meter = 0 dB FS (0 dB referenced to Full Scaled Digital)

Phantom Power:
48 V through 6.8k W resistors, each mic input will supply 10 mA

Powering:
USB bus powered, 3 stage soft-start meets USB hot-plugging power
requirements, 5 V, 350 mA quiescent current from USB port, 5 V 500 mA max
current from USB port

THD+N:
(10 Hz - 22 kHz measurement bandwidth) 0.05% max. (any input to PC
recording, gain control at min., input driven to -6 dB FS) 0.009% max. (PC
audio output, 0 dB FS output, 100k ohm load) 0.05% max. (headphone output, 2
V rms output, 600 ohm load)

Output Clipping Levels:
(1% THD, Windows mixer/Mac volume at max.) PC audio: +8 dBu (2.0 V rms) w/
100k ohm load headphones: +11 dBu (2.75 V rms) w/ 600 ohm load

A/D Converter:
24-bit resolution - no dither added104 dB min. dynamic range, 24-bit mode
(10 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, A-weighted) 96 dB min. dynamic range, 16-bit mode
(10 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, A-weighted)

USB
Fully compliant USB 1.1 device

D/A Converter:
16-bit resolution, 90 dB min. dynamic range, 24 and 16-bit mode (10 Hz - 22
kHz bandwidth, A-weighted)

Dimensions:
(unpackaged):4.3 cm x 18 cm x 10 cm (H x W x D) 1.7 in. x 7.25 in. x 4.25
in.

Weight:
0.5 kg
1.13 lbs.

Certifications:
meets FCC Part 15 Class B, Complies with the requirements of European
Directive 89/336/EEC

Included:
USB Cable, software installation CD-ROM for Mac OS (9 and X) and Windows OS,
rubber feet
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 4:53:15 PM

On 3 Jul 2005 02:54:14 -0700, the_keffster@hotmail.com wrote:

>Great idea, Don. Thank you so much but unfortunately my laptop doesn't
>give me that facility. Thanks once again, Keff

As an alternative to USB, there are some excellent PCMCIA sound cards
for laptops. Have a look at the Echo offerings.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 3, 2005 6:17:35 PM

>Can anyone tell me if there is a way of getting line level into the
>laptop using one of my USB sockets? The only alternative I can think of
>would be via the PCMCIA slot but I would rather go the USB way if
>possible and if anything exists!

http://www.midiman.net/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mo...

And plenty more from other makers. Ask your local music-tech store.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2005 12:20:31 AM

Yes, I have to 'echo' Don's tip here..the Echo Indigo io is a great device,
does all the sample rates and bit depths to 24/96...wonderfully quiet line
in stage, but no s/pdif in or out... if that's important to you ? Plus,
being a PCMCIA card (what else are you gonna use that slot for anyway ?), it
leaves all your USB ports free for other things..like a mouse or printer
or.....? Be sure to check laptop chipset compatibility via the Echo
website before you order one. A seriously great device, with first rate
drivers and a very respectable headphone amp too. Review here:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1325719,00.a... and even
better, here :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/echoindi...

Best wishes,