PSU compatibily with motherboard

DarKAzNKiD

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2003
I went to the Dell forums and a member posted this website http://www.pcpowercooling.com/home.htm This website allows you to specify which system you have and it will give you an optimal PSU. Well.. the "optimal" PSU for my dell 8200 was a silencer ATX 400 but the wattage is 300W. I was thinkin of gettin a 350W or maybe a 400W PSU for a gf fx5900. Is this PSU good or is there another that may be better for my system compatibility? Thanks.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Beware of dell!

Many (but not all) dells use a propriatary pin config for the atx power plug connector. So while it may look like a standard connection, its actually different.

This was done so pople using dells HAD to use dell PSU's. plugging in a non dell PSU would lead to burnouts.

Make VERY sure motherboard and Powersupply have the same connector with the same voltage rails before pluggign it in.

<b><i>"Why don't you try practicing random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control?"</b></i> :eek:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
PC Power & Cooling claim to have special Dell compatible PSU's - but I can't guarantee that. I think you'll find that most Dell's, including your 8200, come with a Dell 250W PSU - talk about kick ass power. Lordy, it makes me tremble.

All kidding aside, call PC Power and interogate the hell out of them - see if they can explain why their PSU's are "Dell compatible". If you know a local shop that has had success working on Dell's - they may be able to verify if PC power's PSU's fit - or not.

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>

svol

Champion
And otherwise try to find a special cable that makes any PSU Dell mobo compatible... I've a link to a shop who sold them in this forum before IIRC.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: