Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Demo Critique

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:18:21 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

If any of you can find the time to give what I'm working on a listen and let
the criticisms fly (preferably paired with suggestions on how to address
problems), I'll be more than grateful. This is my first ever serious project
so I expect I'm making lots of beginner mistakes - I need to hear about them
all the same.

Here's the basics behind the recording setup:

Tracks were all layered (not recorded simultaneously)
Recorded in semi-deadened (fiberglass) basement - this was the best most
convenient location available.

Vocals: AKG 451 ---> RNP
Guitars: Mesa Boogie --> AKG 451 --> RAP (tried 57s but found them too
dull/muddy despite EQing the amp)
Drum overheads: Marshal 603s --> RNP
snare, toms: SM57 --> VLZ Pro
kick: Beta 52 --> VLZ Pro
Bass: RNP-DI

All pre outs into RME Multiface --> DAW
This is thusfar unmastered.

www.strandedsavvy.net/samples/midnight_rain.mp3

On my monitors (Yorkville YSM-1s in 12x15 foot treated room) the bass sounds
reasonable, but in my car and home stereo speakers it's a bit overwhelming.
Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dave

More about : demo critique

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:32:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave,
I have similar setup in my studio. YSM-1s, Grace 101, MESA Nomad 55,
room is 10 x 21 treated with bass traps, mid bass absorbers. I run
Sonar 4P with a Lynx L22.

I listened to the tune on my cheesy PC speakers first, then took the
file to the studio. The mix translates pretty well from one
environment to the other. Some thoughts:

Vocal is nice and clear. A bit dry for my taste. Maybe some reverb or
delay?
Drums are OK. The snare sounds is a bit thin. IMHO a fatter snare and
louder kic might give the song a bit more punch to cut through the
guitar sound.
Guitars are thick, sounds like a wall of MESAs. Cutting some low
frequncies in the guitars might fix the overwhelming bass in the car
and home environment.
Everything sounds like it's panned center?

Overall, your production sounds good to me. I know how tough it is to
make recordings at home. You're on the right track. Keep-on-keepin'
on!

DaveT
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:18:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Dave,
I almost always pan bass & drums center, so you're correct. Maybe it's
the three guitars that are a bit much. With heavy guitars you'll get a
build up of mud around 200 htz. Sometime less is more. :>)

DaveT
Related resources
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 5:03:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>
> Vocal is nice and clear. A bit dry for my taste. Maybe some reverb or
> delay?
> Drums are OK. The snare sounds is a bit thin. IMHO a fatter snare and
> louder kic might give the song a bit more punch to cut through the
> guitar sound.
> Guitars are thick, sounds like a wall of MESAs. Cutting some low
> frequncies in the guitars might fix the overwhelming bass in the car
> and home environment.
> Everything sounds like it's panned center?

Two of three guitars are panned out, everything else is center... should I
try panning other things? if so what?
Thanks for your other pointers.

Dave
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:26:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<psychodave.thomas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Everything sounds like it's panned center?


I noticed that in the introduction, but when the verse kicks in there are
guitars panned just a bit. It sounds odd, as if going from a mono to a
stereo image all of a sudden.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:26:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> <psychodave.thomas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Everything sounds like it's panned center?
>
>
> I noticed that in the introduction, but when the verse kicks in there are
> guitars panned just a bit. It sounds odd, as if going from a mono to a
> stereo image all of a sudden.


Yeah that's what it's doing. I wasn't sure I liked having the lone intro
guitar panned - it made the other side of the stereo field sound too empty
(and though I admittedly didn't experiment with it I'm told bass and drums
are usually panned center - except for the stereo overheads of course)

I agree it sounds a little odd during that transition.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 11:43:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"David Grant" <NO_SPAM_PLEASE_jmd_2003@msn.com> wrote in message
news:TrudnevlnKyDy1XfRVn-rg@rogers.com...
> If any of you can find the time to give what I'm working on a listen and
let
> the criticisms fly (preferably paired with suggestions on how to address
> problems), I'll be more than grateful. This is my first ever serious
project
> so I expect I'm making lots of beginner mistakes - I need to hear about
them
> all the same.
>
> Here's the basics behind the recording setup:
>
> Tracks were all layered (not recorded simultaneously)
> Recorded in semi-deadened (fiberglass) basement - this was the best most
> convenient location available.
>
> Vocals: AKG 451 ---> RNP
> Guitars: Mesa Boogie --> AKG 451 --> RAP (tried 57s but found them too
> dull/muddy despite EQing the amp)
> Drum overheads: Marshal 603s --> RNP
> snare, toms: SM57 --> VLZ Pro
> kick: Beta 52 --> VLZ Pro
> Bass: RNP-DI
>
> All pre outs into RME Multiface --> DAW
> This is thusfar unmastered.
>
> www.strandedsavvy.net/samples/midnight_rain.mp3
>
> On my monitors (Yorkville YSM-1s in 12x15 foot treated room) the bass
sounds
> reasonable, but in my car and home stereo speakers it's a bit
overwhelming.
> Let me know what you think.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Just a quick note from an arranging perspective........

You have a nice full bottom end during the verses of the song, however, when
the chorus comes in, the driving tom pattern stops and the bass jumps up an
octave at the same time. This causes the whole bottom end to drop out of
the song. The effect really caught me by surprise and IMHO it weakens the
chorus part which should be the strongest, most present part of a song. You
could fix this by:
1. keeping the bass line down on the same octave as the verse or
2. perhaps bringing up the kick during the chorus to compensate for the loss
of low end activity.
3. include a deep mean rythym guitar part during the chorus.

Overall the song sounds great and it seems like you are on the right track
(pardon the pun) as far as mixing goes. Good stuff!


>
!