Help in choosing a good mic.

Last response: in Home Audio
July 3, 2005 10:19:24 PM

I need to get a good mic for recording mostly the acoustic guitar both
steel string and nylon. I have heard that the Neumann TLM-103 was a
good choice as well as the Audio-Technica 4051a. I would appreciate
your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

In Spirit...
Steve-o

More about : choosing good mic

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 2:00:35 PM

In article <1120439964.636648.193920@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> swildey@bellsouth.net writes:

> I need to get a good mic for recording mostly the acoustic guitar both
> steel string and nylon. I have heard that the Neumann TLM-103 was a
> good choice as well as the Audio-Technica 4051a.

Neither of those microphones (or both of them in combination) will
stand in the way of making a good recording of a guitar. However, I'm
sure you realize that making a good recording involves far more than
just buying a good mic. No microphone will assure that you'll make a
good recording, and there are many microphones that will make a good
recording if you know what you're doing. The differences can be pretty
subtle.

If this is your first "good" microphone, you might want to consider
spending less money on a mic this time so that once you learn how to
make your recordings sound bettter and better, you'll better
appreciate the improvement that a better mic can make.

July 4, 2005 2:01:13 PM

Amen to that.

I've had success using Oktava small condenser mics on acoustic guitar -
as well as my AT 4047SV, or other (more expensive) large diaphragm
mics. It's really about what sound you're looking to achieve - how you
want the guitar to relate to the other instruments in your mix (unless
you're recording a solo performance!) You also have to consider the
rest of your recording chain as well - preamps, compression(?), EQ,
etc. Different mics will behave differently with diffrerent outboard
gear (did that sentence make sense, with all of those "differents?")

Try using a few different combinations, and see what you can come up
with. no matter what recommendations people might give you, your own
ears will be the best judge for your own particular project. Good luck!

Pete

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1120439964.636648.193920@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> swildey@bellsouth.net writes:
>
> > I need to get a good mic for recording mostly the acoustic guitar both
> > steel string and nylon. I have heard that the Neumann TLM-103 was a
> > good choice as well as the Audio-Technica 4051a.
>
> Neither of those microphones (or both of them in combination) will
> stand in the way of making a good recording of a guitar. However, I'm
> sure you realize that making a good recording involves far more than
> just buying a good mic. No microphone will assure that you'll make a
> good recording, and there are many microphones that will make a good
> recording if you know what you're doing. The differences can be pretty
> subtle.
>
> If this is your first "good" microphone, you might want to consider
> spending less money on a mic this time so that once you learn how to
> make your recordings sound bettter and better, you'll better
> appreciate the improvement that a better mic can make.

July 4, 2005 10:09:12 PM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> If this is your first "good" microphone, you might want to consider
> spending less money on a mic this time so that once you learn how to
> make your recordings sound bettter and better, you'll better
> appreciate the improvement that a better mic can make.

Alternatively, you may want to splurge on a decent mic right out of the
gate so that you remove one impediment to reaching your goal of good
guitar sound.

This has the added benefit of having decent resale value when you
realize that it's cheaper and easier to hire someone to record you than
to do it yourself. Cheap mics become worthless overnight.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:09:13 PM

> Alternatively, you may want to splurge on a decent mic right out of the
> gate so that you remove one impediment to reaching your goal of good
> guitar sound.
>
> This has the added benefit of having decent resale value when you
> realize that it's cheaper and easier to hire someone to record you than
> to do it yourself. Cheap mics become worthless overnight.

Faster than that if you buy them in the morning.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:23:38 AM

In article <cXeye.115512$tt5.10133@edtnps90> Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca writes:

> Alternatively, you may want to splurge on a decent mic right out of the
> gate so that you remove one impediment to reaching your goal of good
> guitar sound.
>
> This has the added benefit of having decent resale value when you
> realize that it's cheaper and easier to hire someone to record you than
> to do it yourself. Cheap mics become worthless overnight.

Oh, I wasn't advocating a cheap mic that will become worthless as soon
as the fad fades, but perhaps a moderately priced A-T rather than a
Neumann. Kind of like getting a decent sounding and good playing
imported guitar to learn on rather than a top shelf one. No point in
trying to learn to play on a guitar that's hard to play, and there's
no point in trying to learn to record with a mic that doesn't sound
good on anything - but there are decent guitars and decent mics that
will carry you through a lot of learning.

July 5, 2005 2:01:27 AM

StudioDude wrote:
> Amen to that.
>
> I've had success using Oktava small condenser mics on acoustic guitar -
> as well as my AT 4047SV, or other (more expensive) large diaphragm
> mics. It's really about what sound you're looking to achieve - how you
> want the guitar to relate to the other instruments in your mix (unless
> you're recording a solo performance!) You also have to consider the
> rest of your recording chain as well - preamps, compression(?), EQ,
> etc. Different mics will behave differently with diffrerent outboard
> gear (did that sentence make sense, with all of those "differents?")
>
> Try using a few different combinations, and see what you can come up
> with. no matter what recommendations people might give you, your own
> ears will be the best judge for your own particular project. Good luck!
>
> Pete

I also like the Octave MK012 for acoustic guitar. It works well with
Nylon string, flattops and acoustic archtop. The high end really
sparkles. Experiment with mic placement over the, bridge, soundhole,
and 12th fret. They all have different sounds. The soundhole is going
to give you the most bottom. Sometimes too much where you have to roll
of some lows or low mids. The bridge will give you more highs and more
percussive attack. The 12th fret is going to give you a nice balance
sound but you'll pick up more finger noise. You can also use a
combination of these mic placements also. Other variables include the
guitar, the guitar player's touch or technique, the pick the player
uses, and the mic.

Stan
July 5, 2005 10:45:31 AM

Thanks for your input...I do have a fairly good idea of how to record
and have had some decent takes but with borrowed mics. I am aware of
the process of recording as well and completely realize that there's
ALWAY something else one can do to make it just a little bit better,
IE...more gear. Along with the mics I do plan on getting some front end
gear like a good compressor/EQ/Pre-amp but not to much as I want the
guitar as natural as possible. I play almost entirely steel string
finger style some samples can be heard either at my website stevewildey
DOT com or on CD Baby under the same name.

While I'm at it here's another question for you...Of the Neumann KM 180
series and for acoustic guitar which would prefer the 183 or the
184...? My plan is to use both a large diaphram mic in the room and a
small one, or two to close mic using the XY...

Thanks again.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:53:00 PM

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:09:12 -0400, Lorin David Schultz wrote
(in article <cXeye.115512$tt5.10133@edtnps90>):

> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>>
>> If this is your first "good" microphone, you might want to consider
>> spending less money on a mic this time so that once you learn how to
>> make your recordings sound bettter and better, you'll better
>> appreciate the improvement that a better mic can make.
>

> Alternatively, you may want to splurge on a decent mic right out of the
> gate so that you remove one impediment to reaching your goal of good
> guitar sound.
>
> This has the added benefit of having decent resale value when you
> realize that it's cheaper and easier to hire someone to record you than
> to do it yourself. Cheap mics become worthless overnight.

To that end, save up for a Schoeps cmc641. Want to hear one?

Go to my site. Bottom on column #1 is a link to music recorded here.

Wind by Symbiont used a cmc641 on the main acoustic and on the 12 string. One
mic, not two, three or more, just one for each track.

On Existential Boogie, cmc641 on both acoustic guitar tracks and on the
electric, egg, tambourine.

Buy one good mic once or buy many bad mics. The choice is yours.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:19:51 PM

In article <1120571131.423866.144920@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> swildey@bellsouth.net writes:

> ...Of the Neumann KM 180
> series and for acoustic guitar which would prefer the 183 or the
> 184...?

Without hearing your guitar in your space, played in your style, I'd
say the KM184. The KM183 is an omni which can sound very nice, but
unless you have a good sounding room that adds to the sound of the
recording, you might be better off rejecting some of what isn't the
direct sound.

> My plan is to use both a large diaphram mic in the room and a
> small one, or two to close mic using the XY...

If you're planning to use X-Y, you should really have two of the same
type of mic. But, for starters, you could point the KM184 where the
neck joins the body and put another mic (which could be a large
diaphram mic, I like a U87 for this) over the bridge or a little below
it.

July 6, 2005 1:28:27 AM

KM184
AKG C480/CK61
AT4051
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:54:56 PM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 09:45:31 -0400, steve-o wrote
(in article <1120571131.423866.144920@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> While I'm at it here's another question for you...Of the Neumann KM 180
> series and for acoustic guitar which would prefer the 183 or the
> 184...? My plan is to use both a large diaphram mic in the room and a
> small one, or two to close mic using the XY...
>
> Thanks again.

Since neither would be my choice, I'll opt out.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
!