Live8 Audio in Philly

Last response: in Home Audio
July 4, 2005 9:33:11 PM

I have read with great interest the large number of postings
concerning Live8 audio and thought I might as well chime into the
disussion.

I did the Philly TV live air mix that was in the World Feed. This was
the only Philly audio available. There is a lot of speculation about
how things were done, why things went wrong and when things went
right.

First, no Front of House Mixes (FOH) were broadcast. So what ever went
into the FOH and monitor mixes was exclusively for those who were in
attendance in Philly and for the performance requirements of the
artists. This is as it shoud be. The FOH mix was on my console as a
backup to the mixes from the two music trucks and in the transmission
router as a backup to my console.

Clair Brothers did an excellent job of providing all the needed
hardware for bands that did not bring their own stuff. Sennheiser
provided as much as needed including RF Vocal mics and back line mics.

We had a rotating stage, two sides (A and B) with at least 2 monitor
set ups and I believe about 6 consoles at FOH. Some acts brought their
own consoles. Yamaha PM1Ds were used at monitors, sorry I did not get
out to the FOH enough to see what they used.

Clair's 40 pair J box passive systems were used for splits
supplimented with three sets of transformer iso splits for the music
trucks and TV truck interface.

F and L provide two trucks for the music mixes, L7 which is equiped
with a Neve Capricorn and OSR which has 2 DM2000s. Both trucks had 48
track Protools systems. I used 16 tracks of DA98HR in the Broadcast
truck. The broacast truck was AMV "Resolution" which is an HD truck
and is equiped with a Sony Oxford console. Philly was taped in HD
video though of SD (standard definition) pictures were transmitted.
The music truck front ends were on stage. The Neve Capricorn remote
mic preamps and Aphex 1788 remote mix preampss were used. The digital
outputs of these pre-ams were MADIed back to the trucks

All Protool hard drives and DA98HRdig audio tapes were turned over to
Mitch Masantansky at the end of the day. Mitch served at the Live8
on-site audio producer. He is sending all of the Philly materials to
the UK where it will be used for producing CDs of Live8 performances.

ALL acts in Philly sound checked and rehearsed on stage. The
rehearsals were recorded to Protools and used to pre-set mixes for
air. This is SOP for most live music for televison no matter who is
doing the mixing.

John Harris and Jay Vicari mixed music in Philly. Both of these guys
are very, very good at doing this sort of thing and have been at it
for a very long time. John holds a Grammy Award for the Ray Charles CD
from last year and Jay has a few awards for music as well. I have 7
Emmys for audio.

As we all know, when the act hits the stage, most of those rehearsal
level are matched, most but not all. We all have been around "Screw
drive and finger drift" where levels change. Most acts had someone in
with Jay and John to fine tune things. Sometimes it takes a few
seconds to get to the right fader. The great mixes I heard were from
great performances on stage. Not-quite-so-great performances are tough
to mix into great perfromances.

The BBC was having problems with audio being feed into the World Feed
and the London Back Haul to Philly. The Back Haul was a second video
channel used to feed additional materials for the ABC and MTV shows.
It sounded like low sample rate MP3 audio or some sort of data rate
problem. Refeeds were requested. The World feed of the London "Long
and Winding Road/Hey Jude" finale sounded bad into the World Feed, the
refeed using the Back Haul was perfect. This was used in the ABC
program. The Sargent Peppers piece was faulty from the World feed and
could not be re-fed in time for the ABC show.

We were on the phone with the BBC several times trying (unsuccessfuly)
to get the problem sorted out.

It was interesting to read the the posted comments and criticisms. The

live shows are tough to make 100% perfect. They don't have the benefit
of reverse buttons and retakes. Comments from Pooh Bear, Scott Dorsey
and shannon are worth re-reading. This is a PROFESSIONAL audio forum
and I think I can a safely say that most of those who read and post
hear would have loved to have been a part of Live8. I am thankful for
having had the chance to participate in this event.

Anyone with Philly or World Feed questons, post them here and I will
try to answer them.

More about : live8 audio philly

July 4, 2005 9:33:12 PM

In article <42c963f4.292538343@news.gte.net>, Don Worsham
<media@gte.net> wrote:

> The great mixes I heard were from
> great performances on stage.

Amen!

Thanks for the informative post Don.

The mtv presentation was like watching the Three Stooges do surgery.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:33:12 PM

"I have heard from anumber of people who watched MTV that cutting away
from teh Pinkl Floyd Hyde Apark perfomance will probably rank as one
of the all time great TV screw ups. "

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, but it's interesting to
consider... does the MTV core audience really care about Floyd (or even
know who they are)?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:33:13 PM

"Nate Najar" <nate@natenajar.com> wrote in message
> "I have heard from anumber of people who watched MTV that cutting away
> from teh Pinkl Floyd Hyde Apark perfomance will probably rank as one
> of the all time great TV screw ups. "
>

> I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, but it's interesting to
> consider... does the MTV core audience really care about Floyd (or even
> know who they are)?

Is there anybody out there (no pun intended) who doesn't recognize, "We
don't need no education..." <g>
July 5, 2005 12:25:55 AM

Don,

I watched on Channel 6 (ABC) here in Philly. I heard some strange
audio on the lead vocal during the Dave Mathews performance but I
assumed that was done intentionally by the censors.

How did they do that?

Mark
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:04:32 AM

Don Worsham wrote:

> Bobby Owsinski <polymedia@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >That and the fact that the MTV broadcast was such an abomination, with
> >the music most frequently cut off for some extremely inane quips by
> >their so-called "commentators". This broadcast was the poster child for
> >the fact that MTV has nothing to do with (and hasn't a care about) music
> >anymore.
>
> I have heard from anumber of people who watched MTV that cutting away
> from teh Pinkl Floyd Hyde Apark perfomance will probably rank as one
> of the all time great TV screw ups.

Don, thanks for the info you posted.

By far the most annoying aspect for me was the
repeatedly 'cuttng away' before the ends of songs.
For a music show to not include complete performances
is disturbing. I kept thinking I was seeing a promotional
'tease' and the whole performance would eventually be
shown, but it was not to be.
I was NOT watching on eMptyTV, but rather the
local Nashville affiliate.

rd
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:32:26 AM

anyone uner 16.

"Gsquared" <ggmediaNOT@myway.com> wrote in message

> "Nate Najar" <nate@natenajar.com> wrote in message
>> "I have heard from anumber of people who watched MTV that cutting away
>> from teh Pinkl Floyd Hyde Apark perfomance will probably rank as one
>> of the all time great TV screw ups. "
>>

>> I agree wholeheartedly with this statement, but it's interesting to
>> consider... does the MTV core audience really care about Floyd (or even
>> know who they are)?
>>

> Is there anybody out there (no pun intended) who doesn't recognize, "We
> don't need no education..." <g>

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:20:49 AM

"Mark" <makolber@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Don,
>
>I watched on Channel 6 (ABC) here in Philly. I heard some strange
>audio on the lead vocal during the Dave Mathews performance but I
>assumed that was done intentionally by the censors.
>
>How did they do that?
>
>Mark

Yes, ABC is very touchy about language. (Wardrobe malfunctions, Bono's
f bomb on NBC, etc). Language was covered by dropping
ambience/audience over the F bombs. The ABC show was edited on Sony's
Digi Beta format. Time code exact audio edits can be made. Find the in
and out edit time code points and let the machine do an audio edit.
Audio source was our audience track.

The ABC show aired 8PM to 10PM. The Philly show ended about 7:15PM.
There were 11 segements. At 8PM nine were done. The last two were
findished by 8:30. I think segment 5 was not ready at 8PM and was the
first missing piece.

We fed ABC directly from the All Mobile Video unit that was the World
Feed/Philly location production truck. A primary and a back up were
rolled in sync. ABC took the truck feed in New York in the network
control room. The ABC transmit circuits were not used for any other
outgoing feeds.

2 paths to New York were used. A fiber via Verizon/Philly into Vyvex
and a satellite truck which was alos on site for the BBC unilateral
feed. Their back up was the Verizon/fiber path. Verizon/fiber was our
primary. During the first commercial break ABC lost our primarty feed
and took the sat. feed. They told us about 1 minute into the second
segment. We all took off out the door to see what had happened. Power
to part of the compound had been pulled and the Verizon video services
truck was affected. We restored power during the second segment and
were back on the fiber feed for segment 3.

The ABC show was edited on site in All Mobile Video's Cinetour edit
unit. They have 2 on line edit bays and I would guess about 12 digi
Beta machines.

The east Coast feed to ABC did have 2 f bombs which were missed in the
rush to edit. Those were fixed and re-fed after 10PM for the ABC west
coast delay.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:30:29 PM

In article <1120539872.190383.227880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> annonn@juno.com writes:

> By far the most annoying aspect for me was the
> repeatedly 'cuttng away' before the ends of songs.
> For a music show to not include complete performances
> is disturbing. I kept thinking I was seeing a promotional
> 'tease' and the whole performance would eventually be
> shown

Oh, it probalby will be available, when you purchase the DVD. I'm sure
someone has already made a deal for the rights to release it.

July 5, 2005 7:29:26 PM

mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote :

> Oh, it probalby will be available, when you purchase the DVD. I'm sure
> someone has already made a deal for the rights to release it.

EMI has the rights, DVD should be available in November.

--
Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows,
how are you gonna guarantee my safety..

In article <42c9952d.305139421@news.gte.net>, Don Worsham
<media@gte.net> wrote:

> I have heard from anumber of people who watched MTV that cutting away
> from teh Pinkl Floyd Hyde Apark perfomance will probably rank as one
> of the all time great TV screw ups.

I thought what was done to The Who was even more hideous.

During the synth break in the middle of "Don't Get Fooled Again" they
cut away to two mtv heads blathering about nothing, while the band went
on without any TV audience. No Daltrey about to scream
"Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", probably the best scream in the history of R&R.
(Not that he can still do like he did as a kid.) How about a
commercial.

The same idiot director, earlier in the same song, would *each* time
cut away from Townsend during those few succinct moments when he would
put his hand straight up and then begin his classic windmill power
chord - cutting instead to something dumb like a snare drum. I said to
my wife whoever's calling the shots def isn't familiar with the band
onstage. We Wanna See Pete Do The Windmill!!! (And I wanna be 19 again
;>)

Guess the song's message is still appropriate - same as the old boss.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com

p.s. Oh yeah, I almost forgot ... for about half the time The Who was
actually on tube, there was as much of Pete's guitar in the live tv mix
as their was Moon's drums and Entwistle's bass. This included an entire
solo section with no Pete solo. No Townshend?? Duhhhhhh.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:12:07 AM

Don

Thanks very much for such a thorough review of your very busy day.
There's a semester's worth of learning there for audio students if they
take the time to read and understand what you've described. I learned a
couple of things myself. I hope you get your various posts together
into an article. Magazines like MIX could use real world detail for the
actual TV broadcast and not just what happened in the music truck,
obviously important but only part of the air chain. Congratulations!

Bruno
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:18:07 AM

Don Worsham wrote:

> I have read with great interest the large number of postings
> concerning Live8 audio and thought I might as well chime into the
> disussion.
>
> I did the Philly TV live air mix that was in the World Feed. This was
> the only Philly audio available. There is a lot of speculation about
> how things were done, why things went wrong and when things went
> right.
>
> First, no Front of House Mixes (FOH) were broadcast. So what ever went
> into the FOH and monitor mixes was exclusively for those who were in
> attendance in Philly and for the performance requirements of the
> artists. This is as it shoud be. The FOH mix was on my console as a
> backup to the mixes from the two music trucks and in the transmission
> router as a backup to my console.

Hi Don,

thanks for your input.

You should note that any comments made by myself regarding the sound
related exclusively to the BBC broadcast in the UK. Or 'apology' for one I
should say !

Note that over in a.a.p.l-s I started a new thread specifically mentioning
the sound in *London*.

Indeed, the initiating post in the live 8 sound thread here was made by
another UK poster, followed by myself. Most in the following few hours
were also from UK posters.

Any comments I made were therefore most certainly not addressed at
yourself.

As for using an FOH mix, the first few hours of the BBC's abominable
coverage would have likely sounded *far* better had they used one and an
ambient mic or two. Even 5 hours in, the sound was still way off and only
really hit the spot for the last few acts ( at which point even the drums
were finally recognisable as being something other than a big wet blanket
sound - literally ).

As it was - and as I have commented elsewhere - it sounded like someone
waving an SM58 at the stacks. I've heard better Bootlegs. Much better in
fact !

I was a bit sleepy by the time the BBC broadacast moved to Philly so can't
really comment on the sound you got. I don't recall it being poor. Sadly,
I found the bands a little less exciting than the acts we had here and
dozed off.

Are there any US equivalents of U2, Sting, Pink Floyd, the Who, Macca, etc
?? I guess not. Maybe you should have had Marilyn Manson ! That would have
woken me up !

Regds, Graham
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:45:11 AM

Iain Fraser wrote:

> anyone uner 16.

Don't be too sure. Ages back I met a 16 y/o whose fave band was Zeppelin. Her
mum had pretty much all their albums and she reckoned they rocked. Compared to
'modern music' probably not too tricky actually !

Graham
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:46:56 AM

RD Jones wrote:

> Don Worsham wrote:
>
> > Bobby Owsinski <polymedia@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > >That and the fact that the MTV broadcast was such an abomination, with
> > >the music most frequently cut off for some extremely inane quips by
> > >their so-called "commentators". This broadcast was the poster child for
> > >the fact that MTV has nothing to do with (and hasn't a care about) music
> > >anymore.
> >
> > I have heard from anumber of people who watched MTV that cutting away
> > from teh Pinkl Floyd Hyde Apark perfomance will probably rank as one
> > of the all time great TV screw ups.
>
> Don, thanks for the info you posted.
>
> By far the most annoying aspect for me was the
> repeatedly 'cuttng away' before the ends of songs.
> For a music show to not include complete performances
> is disturbing. I kept thinking I was seeing a promotional
> 'tease' and the whole performance would eventually be
> shown, but it was not to be.
> I was NOT watching on eMptyTV, but rather the
> local Nashville affiliate.

At least the BBC *didn't* screw up on that count. No ads either of course.

Graham
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:54:51 AM

Pooh Bear <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Don Worsham wrote:
>
>> I have read with great interest the large number of postings
>> concerning Live8 audio and thought I might as well chime into the
>> disussion.
>>
>> I did the Philly TV live air mix that was in the World Feed. This was
>> the only Philly audio available. There is a lot of speculation about
>> how things were done, why things went wrong and when things went
>> right.
>>
>> First, no Front of House Mixes (FOH) were broadcast. So what ever went
>> into the FOH and monitor mixes was exclusively for those who were in
>> attendance in Philly and for the performance requirements of the
>> artists. This is as it shoud be. The FOH mix was on my console as a
>> backup to the mixes from the two music trucks and in the transmission
>> router as a backup to my console.
>
>Hi Don,
>
>thanks for your input.
>
>You should note that any comments made by myself regarding the sound
>related exclusively to the BBC broadcast in the UK. Or 'apology' for one I
>should say !
>
>Note that over in a.a.p.l-s I started a new thread specifically mentioning
>the sound in *London*.
>
>Indeed, the initiating post in the live 8 sound thread here was made by
>another UK poster, followed by myself. Most in the following few hours
>were also from UK posters.
>
>Any comments I made were therefore most certainly not addressed at
>yourself.
>
>As for using an FOH mix, the first few hours of the BBC's abominable
>coverage would have likely sounded *far* better had they used one and an
>ambient mic or two. Even 5 hours in, the sound was still way off and only
>really hit the spot for the last few acts ( at which point even the drums
>were finally recognisable as being something other than a big wet blanket
>sound - literally ).
>
>As it was - and as I have commented elsewhere - it sounded like someone
>waving an SM58 at the stacks. I've heard better Bootlegs. Much better in
>fact !
>
>I was a bit sleepy by the time the BBC broadacast moved to Philly so can't
>really comment on the sound you got. I don't recall it being poor. Sadly,
>I found the bands a little less exciting than the acts we had here and
>dozed off.
>
>Are there any US equivalents of U2, Sting, Pink Floyd, the Who, Macca, etc
>?? I guess not. Maybe you should have had Marilyn Manson ! That would have
>woken me up !
>

>Regds, Graham

The Philly acts were one the whole not up to the Poink
Floyd/U2/McCartney level but then that was a very tough set of acts to
follow.

Philly's best acts were Stevie Wonder, Destiny's Child, Kanya West,
Maroon 5, Rob Thomas and Balck Eyed Peas. Over all a good line up.

In listening into the World Feed and the London Back Haul, I thought
all the various sites were being very well mixed. The audio problems
from Hyde Park not withstanding (I believe it was a problem at the
BBC), the London segmets were very good. Madona sounded very good as
did the finale.

The situation over here with MTV (which I was unable) has left a
number of people whith whom I have spoken very upset. They were adding
quite a bit of commentary over the various performances which be some
accounts did nothing to enlarge the viewing and listening experience.
!