3 years ago - the more things change

Last response: in Home Audio
July 5, 2005 12:51:28 AM

Three years ago yesterday I embarked upon a task of Aegean proportion: The
clean up of the garage of my (now) husband, your esteemed and reviled
colleague here on RAP - Scott "kludge" Dorsey.

I have to say that though much has changed in the intervening three years, much
has remained the same. In particular I can think of several dozen items in the
garage which have not moved during that time, merely become points of accretion
for other objects. Howard Carter at least famous, if quite dead, after cleaning
out some guy's lifetime accumulation of stuff. I shall merely hope for some
small enhancement to my notoriety of being "that woman who will put up with
Scott," or more precisely all of his STUFF.

I am afraid I neglected to document the process this time, but we spent a few
hours attempting to restore the garage to a similar state as the "after" photo
on the original page I put up about this process. We did not succeed. I will
say, though, that the garage is not as bad as photo number one, and there is
some hope we will surpass the final shot in our endeavors to make enough room
in the house and garage for me to actually become a full member of this house-
hold.

The birds will appreciate our efforts as we may actually be able to bring little
Coco Chanel home from the Bird Store before the Bird Store owner gets fed up with
waiting for us and abducts our current bird and burns down our house. Yes, she
knows where we live. The cat will not appreciate these efforts since he is a
bird-eating cat and soon to be adopted out of this house by someone who can
afford to have such a beast in his house.

As for the rest of you all, you get to snicker at my husband's expense and if you
choose, you can review the photos to remind yourselves that there is a price to
being an Uber-Electro-Geek - and that is the accumulation of all this stuff you
might need someday and the concommittant need to put it somewhere. None of this
is a real issue, of course, unless you have a wife or a girlfriend who gets tired
of not being able to set foot in the garage without embracing the philosopy of
"Sport Death" and keeping the cell phone handy for the 911 call.

Photos are still up at : http://www.tanstaafl.com/kludge/garage.html

Enjoy!

--Chak
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:36:05 AM

"Melissa M. Dorsey" wrote:

> Three years ago yesterday I embarked upon a task of Aegean proportion: The
> clean up of the garage of my (now) husband, your esteemed and reviled
> colleague here on RAP - Scott "kludge" Dorsey.
>
> I have to say that though much has changed in the intervening three years, much
> has remained the same. In particular I can think of several dozen items in the
> garage which have not moved during that time, merely become points of accretion
> for other objects. Howard Carter at least famous, if quite dead, after cleaning
> out some guy's lifetime accumulation of stuff. I shall merely hope for some
> small enhancement to my notoriety of being "that woman who will put up with
> Scott," or more precisely all of his STUFF.
>
> I am afraid I neglected to document the process this time, but we spent a few
> hours attempting to restore the garage to a similar state as the "after" photo
> on the original page I put up about this process. We did not succeed. I will
> say, though, that the garage is not as bad as photo number one, and there is
> some hope we will surpass the final shot in our endeavors to make enough room
> in the house and garage for me to actually become a full member of this house-
> hold.
>
> The birds will appreciate our efforts as we may actually be able to bring little
> Coco Chanel home from the Bird Store before the Bird Store owner gets fed up with
> waiting for us and abducts our current bird and burns down our house. Yes, she
> knows where we live. The cat will not appreciate these efforts since he is a
> bird-eating cat and soon to be adopted out of this house by someone who can
> afford to have such a beast in his house.
>
> As for the rest of you all, you get to snicker at my husband's expense and if you
> choose, you can review the photos to remind yourselves that there is a price to
> being an Uber-Electro-Geek - and that is the accumulation of all this stuff you
> might need someday and the concommittant need to put it somewhere. None of this
> is a real issue, of course, unless you have a wife or a girlfriend who gets tired
> of not being able to set foot in the garage without embracing the philosopy of
> "Sport Death" and keeping the cell phone handy for the 911 call.
>
> Photos are still up at : http://www.tanstaafl.com/kludge/garage.html
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --Chak

Congratulations! You've made room for more stuff! *grins*

--Dale
July 5, 2005 11:04:58 AM

Women- Bah! That's not cleaning- that's STACKING! Now you can't FIND
anything. You gotsta feng-shway dat sheee,.. tada dump, tada dump,
tada dump, dump, dump.

On 4 Jul 2005 20:51:28 -0400, chakaal@panix.com (Melissa M. Dorsey)
wrote:

>Three years ago yesterday I embarked upon a task of Aegean proportion: The
>clean up of the garage of my (now) husband, your esteemed and reviled
>colleague here on RAP - Scott "kludge" Dorsey.
>
>I have to say that though much has changed in the intervening three years, much
>has remained the same. In particular I can think of several dozen items in the
>garage which have not moved during that time, merely become points of accretion
>for other objects. Howard Carter at least famous, if quite dead, after cleaning
>out some guy's lifetime accumulation of stuff. I shall merely hope for some
>small enhancement to my notoriety of being "that woman who will put up with
>Scott," or more precisely all of his STUFF.
>
>I am afraid I neglected to document the process this time, but we spent a few
>hours attempting to restore the garage to a similar state as the "after" photo
>on the original page I put up about this process. We did not succeed. I will
>say, though, that the garage is not as bad as photo number one, and there is
>some hope we will surpass the final shot in our endeavors to make enough room
>in the house and garage for me to actually become a full member of this house-
>hold.
>
>The birds will appreciate our efforts as we may actually be able to bring little
>Coco Chanel home from the Bird Store before the Bird Store owner gets fed up with
>waiting for us and abducts our current bird and burns down our house. Yes, she
>knows where we live. The cat will not appreciate these efforts since he is a
>bird-eating cat and soon to be adopted out of this house by someone who can
>afford to have such a beast in his house.
>
>As for the rest of you all, you get to snicker at my husband's expense and if you
>choose, you can review the photos to remind yourselves that there is a price to
>being an Uber-Electro-Geek - and that is the accumulation of all this stuff you
>might need someday and the concommittant need to put it somewhere. None of this
>is a real issue, of course, unless you have a wife or a girlfriend who gets tired
>of not being able to set foot in the garage without embracing the philosopy of
>"Sport Death" and keeping the cell phone handy for the 911 call.
>
>Photos are still up at : http://www.tanstaafl.com/kludge/garage.html
>
>Enjoy!
>
>--Chak

July 5, 2005 11:12:08 AM

C'est deux Lawnmowers, quelle bourjoise! :o )
Regardez.
DS
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:43:33 AM

I had a much different mental picture of that garage. It's just that it's
small, not that there is so much stuff in there. Out here in California, that
would not even qualify as a garage. We have a 3 "car" garage, with one car, a
Precor crosstrainer, universal machine, 6 retired synths in road cases, 2
complete PA systems, bass amp, guitar amp, a retired analog 8-track studio, 2
retired computer systems, two oscilloscopes, a microwave plus the requisite
lawnmower and line trimmer.

And somewhere in the box collection still left over from the last move lurk our
passports, I hope.

Oh, and a court stenographer's machine...any takers? Free case of paper
included.

-Jay
July 5, 2005 12:20:50 PM

"Melissa M. Dorsey" <chakaal@panix.com> wrote:

> The cat will not appreciate these efforts since he is a
> bird-eating cat and soon to be adopted out of this house by someone
> who can afford to have such a beast in his house.

Lemme see if I got this straight... you're getting rid of the cat so you
can bring home a *bird*?!

Lady, the garage is the *least* of your problems. Seek help, QUICK.

And buy a fresh supply of earplugs...

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:31:26 PM

Kinda funny how google automatically puts up ads for lawnmowers next to
the contents of your post - when clearly in the after shots of your
garage, you can see that at least now you can get it out to mow the
lawn...

Will Miho
NY Music and TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away... Tom Waits
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:00:22 PM

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:51:28 -0400, Melissa M. Dorsey wrote
(in article <daclig$1rm$1@panix2.panix.com>):

> Three years ago yesterday I embarked upon a task of Aegean proportion: The
> clean up of the garage of my (now) husband, your esteemed and reviled
> colleague here on RAP - Scott "kludge" Dorsey.
>
> I have to say that though much has changed in the intervening three years,
> much
> has remained the same. In particular I can think of several dozen items in
> the
> garage which have not moved during that time, merely become points of
> accretion
> for other objects. Howard Carter at least famous, if quite dead, after
> cleaning
> out some guy's lifetime accumulation of stuff. I shall merely hope for some
> small enhancement to my notoriety of being "that woman who will put up with
> Scott," or more precisely all of his STUFF.

Um, guess you haven't read those books that say marriages based on the bride
or groom's hope that they can change the other person usually fail.

You can take the stuff out of the garage, but not out of Scott's heart.

Regards,

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com
July 5, 2005 3:42:51 PM

spud wrote:
> Women- Bah! That's not cleaning- that's STACKING! Now you can't FIND
> anything. You gotsta feng-shway dat sheee,.. tada dump, tada dump,
> tada dump, dump, dump.

I like the Millennia-box on the before picture, nice touch :-)
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:22:11 PM

"studiorat" <daveslevin@02.ie> wrote in message
> C'est deux Lawnmowers, quelle bourjoise! :o )

One of them is probably broken, and is being saved for spare parts.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:24:32 PM

Good grief! Aside from the fact that I have a 2-car garage and one side is
full of a '79 Z28, that "before" picture looks like home, right down to the
Craftsmen lawn mower (but I don't have a push mower). We even both have
red wheel ramps! The ladder belonged to my dad, with just as much paint on
it, and my grey steel racks came from Sears. You don't, however, have a
350 small box on an engine stand.

Do I recognize a DEC under that Millennium box?
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:50:01 PM

Melissa M. Dorsey wrote:

> As for the rest of you all, you get to snicker at my husband's expense and if you
> choose, you can review the photos to remind yourselves that there is a price to
> being an Uber-Electro-Geek - and that is the accumulation of all this stuff you
> might need someday and the concommittant need to put it somewhere.

Be thankful for the space constraint imposed by the structure. We have
a four car garage here and I don't think I could fit another bicycle
inside at this point...
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:24:16 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4649987.stm

.... An amateur astrologist, she believes that any variation in the orbit or
the composition of the Tempel comet will certainly affect her own fate.

So Ms Marina's claims to be experiencing "a moral trauma" - which only a
payment of $300m (252m euros; £170m) can put right.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:53:42 PM

At least you have a garage! It reminds me of my Apt.
We are renovating soon so................
Tom

"Melissa M. Dorsey" <chakaal@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D aclig$1rm$1@panix2.panix.com...
> [...]
> bird-eating cat and soon to be adopted out of this house by someone who
can
> afford to have such a beast in his house.
>
> As for the rest of you all, you get to snicker at my husband's expense and
if you
> choose, you can review the photos to remind yourselves that there is a
price to
> being an Uber-Electro-Geek - and that is the accumulation of all this
stuff you
> might need someday and the concommittant need to put it somewhere. None
of this
> is a real issue, of course, unless you have a wife or a girlfriend who
gets tired
> of not being able to set foot in the garage without embracing the
philosopy of
> "Sport Death" and keeping the cell phone handy for the 911 call.

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:23:30 AM

On 4 Jul 2005 20:51:28 -0400, in rec.audio.pro chakaal@panix.com
(Melissa M. Dorsey) wrote:

>Three years ago yesterday I embarked upon a task of Aegean proportion: The
>clean up of the garage of my (now) husband, your esteemed and reviled
>colleague here on RAP - Scott "kludge" Dorsey.

Strange. This must be one of the few posts that Scott has not offered
excellent advice on.

martin
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:31:15 AM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:23:30 +0200, martin griffith
<martingriffith@XXyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Strange. This must be one of the few posts that Scott has not offered
>excellent advice on.

His mama didn't raise no fools.

FWIW, half of my living room, and most of my other rooms,
currently look like the "before" picture. Hard to believe
I'm not married, isn't it?

My former 500 square foot shop is now within my 800
square foot house.
Anybody want *any* kind of part or widget, just let me know
and my troubles will become yours. Or something like that.

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:17:02 AM

In article <h32mc150obi59i2l5icsu1abnb025j8pj4@4ax.com>,
Chris Hornbeck <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:23:30 +0200, martin griffith
><martingriffith@XXyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Strange. This must be one of the few posts that Scott has not offered
>>excellent advice on.
>
>His mama didn't raise no fools.
>
>FWIW, half of my living room, and most of my other rooms,
>currently look like the "before" picture. Hard to believe
>I'm not married, isn't it?

Actually, I should point out that No Junk Was Harmed in the cleaning of this
garage. All junk was restored, minus a few empty and torn up paper bags. I
don't throw away Scott's stuff for him - he has to do that himself. I do,
however, hope to make some space so I don't have to continue paying half a
mortgage in another state because nobody can move into the house up in MD.

--Chak

>My former 500 square foot shop is now within my 800
>square foot house.
>Anybody want *any* kind of part or widget, just let me know
>and my troubles will become yours. Or something like that.
>
>Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:17:03 AM

"Melissa M. Dorsey" wrote...
> Actually, I should point out that No Junk Was Harmed in the
> cleaning of this garage. All junk was restored, minus a few
> empty and torn up paper bags. I don't throw away Scott's stuff
> for him - he has to do that himself.

Our best wishes are with Mr. Dorsey in the hour of his distress.

OTOH, I could use someone around here to goad me into getting
rid of a lot of this junk. But, alas, I am always negatively reinforced
by needing just what I threw out a week ago. That is one of the
corollaries to Murphy's Law, but I can't remember which one.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 6:27:05 AM

SSJVCmag <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com> wrote:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4649987.stm
>
> ... An amateur astrologist, she believes that any variation in the orbit or
> the composition of the Tempel comet will certainly affect her own fate.
>
> So Ms Marina's claims to be experiencing "a moral trauma" - which only a
> payment of $300m (252m euros; £170m) can put right.

A good countersuit would be that Ms. Marina walking the Earth has
disrupted the lives of every NASA employee, since a lifetime of
footsteps by a normal-sized human being would probably have the similar
(utterly negligible) effect on a celestial body as a split-second
collision with a modestly-sized, but high-speed, hunk of copper.

Though I have to admit that I was half expecting the comet to get
pissed and come after us.

ulysses
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:19:04 AM

On 5 Jul 2005 23:17:02 -0400, chakaal@panix.com (Melissa M. Dorsey)
wrote:

>Actually, I should point out that No Junk Was Harmed in the cleaning of this
>garage. All junk was restored, minus a few empty and torn up paper bags. I
>don't throw away Scott's stuff for him - he has to do that himself. I do,
>however, hope to make some space so I don't have to continue paying half a
>mortgage in another state because nobody can move into the house up in MD.

Well, there it is. You've spoiled him mercilessly; his very soul is
crying out for a little order, a little structure, in his seemingly
ordered but fundamentally chaotic life. Only a woman's ruthless
perspective can winnow the chaff from this poor man's grassy
existence.

Just kidding; spring for a storage space, and then stop paying
for it. Works every time.

All the best to you both,

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:04:30 AM

"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:

> FWIW, half of my living room, and most of my other rooms,
> currently look like the "before" picture. Hard to believe
> I'm not married, isn't it?

LOL!!! Chris, yer a peach.

Right now my living room looks like that too. I'm building an overdub
space upstairs, so gear, garbage and dirty dishes are strewn all over
the rest of the house.

Trust me, one follows the other when you're determined enough to justify
the mess.

Actually, I'm not so much "building" an overdub space anymore, mostly
I'm "ignoring a half-finished overdub space." I ran out of money.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:59:28 AM

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
> Only a woman's ruthless
> perspective can winnow the chaff from this poor man's grassy
> existence.
>
> Just kidding; spring for a storage space, and then stop paying
> for it. Works every time.

Or, as my cousin recently experienced, spring for a storage space
in a storage facility made of wood and wait for it to burn down in
the middle of the night.

On the good side, if you have insurance, you'll get a nice check.
However, if you do not, it's still very effective at getting rid
of your stuff for you.

- Logan
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:57:33 AM

On 7/6/05 12:19 AM, in article jglmc1hsuiod0nm1nujt8e8o9sgqd1rq37@4ax.com,
"Chris Hornbeck" <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2005 23:17:02 -0400, chakaal@panix.com (Melissa M. Dorsey)
> wrote:
>
>> Actually, I should point out that No Junk Was Harmed in the cleaning of this
>> garage. All junk was restored, minus a few empty and torn up paper bags. I
>> don't throw away Scott's stuff for him - he has to do that himself. I do,
>> however, hope to make some space so I don't have to continue paying half a
>> mortgage in another state because nobody can move into the house up in MD.
>
> Well, there it is. You've spoiled him mercilessly; his very soul is
> crying out for a little order, a little structure, in his seemingly
> ordered but fundamentally chaotic life. Only a woman's ruthless
> perspective can winnow the chaff from this poor man's grassy
> existence.
>
> Just kidding; spring for a storage space, and then stop paying
> for it. Works every time.
NO! then when yo;ve forgotten what was in there, it'll show up on ebay and
you;ll rememeber that you need it and bid!
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:55:34 PM

Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Good grief! Aside from the fact that I have a 2-car garage and one side is
>full of a '79 Z28, that "before" picture looks like home, right down to the
>Craftsmen lawn mower (but I don't have a push mower). We even both have
>red wheel ramps! The ladder belonged to my dad, with just as much paint on
>it, and my grey steel racks came from Sears. You don't, however, have a
>350 small box on an engine stand.
>
>Do I recognize a DEC under that Millennium box?

Hmm... yes, that's a BA-11 box. I think it has an 11/23 processor inside
and a TRW array processor unit that does FFT in hardware. It was really
a slick data analysis system a few years back.

The push mower has since gone.... too many gumballs. To be honest it was
probably less work than the Craftsman on flat ground until it encountered
gumballs. I have sweet gum trees all over the place.
--scott

July 6, 2005 2:06:14 PM

A friend of mine has a Fen Shui book in her house. When visiting a
year or so ago, I told her that I thought it was in the wrong place.
Now, every time I go, I move it to a new location. She has taken to
hiding it from me.

More to the point of this story, my wife's purse is a strange no-man's
land filled with a variety of items, non of which can be located in a
timely manner. I have offered to organize it for her, but oddly this
offer has been met with fierce resistance. Scott, how brave are you?
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:08:15 PM

> Though I have to admit that I was half expecting the comet to get
> pissed and come after us.

....would be the ultimate example of curiosity killing the cat.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 6:09:28 PM

Melissa M. Dorsey wrote:
> Three years ago yesterday I embarked upon a task of Aegean proportion: The
> clean up of the garage of my (now) husband, your esteemed and reviled
> colleague here on RAP - Scott "kludge" Dorsey.
> As for the rest of you all, you get to snicker at my husband's expense
> and if you choose, you can review the photos to remind yourselves that
> there is a price to being an Uber-Electro-Geek - and that is the
> accumulation of all this stuff you might need someday and the
> concommittant need to put it somewhere. ...

> --Chak

Revelation: Chrome wire rack shelving & clear plastic dust sealing
tubs. Lots of small tubs, less medium sized and a few large ones.
Allows for organization of all those parts and someday projects. Items
of current interest can easily be spotted through the clear plastic
without the usual time wasting linear search. Just went through such a
cleanup. It was getting bad having to do a 'special dance' to get
around in the control room.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:21:15 PM

SNIP

> cleanup. It was getting bad having to do a 'special dance' to get
> around in the control room.
>
> bobs
>
> Bob Smith
> BS Studios
> we organize chaos ..... But, not very often............... LOL
> http://www.bsstudios.com

July 6, 2005 11:23:17 PM

Jay Kadis wrote:
> Out here in California, that
> would not even qualify as a garage. We have a 3 "car" garage, with one car, a
> Precor crosstrainer, universal machine, 6 retired synths in road cases, 2
> complete PA systems, bass amp, guitar amp, a retired analog 8-track studio, 2
> retired computer systems, two oscilloscopes, a microwave plus the requisite
> lawnmower and line trimmer.

Jay, here in Redwood City, a nice 2 car garage is a luxury, unless
you're a software big wig or stanford lecturer. Hey, waitaminute... :)
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 11:23:18 PM

In article <FcWye.1758$Tc6.447@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
"mfassett@pacbell.net" <mark@particlesalad.com> wrote:

> Jay Kadis wrote:
> > Out here in California, that
> > would not even qualify as a garage. We have a 3 "car" garage, with one
> > car, a
> > Precor crosstrainer, universal machine, 6 retired synths in road cases, 2
> > complete PA systems, bass amp, guitar amp, a retired analog 8-track studio,
> > 2
> > retired computer systems, two oscilloscopes, a microwave plus the requisite
> > lawnmower and line trimmer.
>
> Jay, here in Redwood City, a nice 2 car garage is a luxury, unless
> you're a software big wig or stanford lecturer. Hey, waitaminute... :)

I'll tell you, we may be the luckiest home buyers in the bay area. We got an
amazing house in Hayward 7 years ago just before the latest "step" in home
prices. The appraisal has almost tripled since. At the time it seemed like a
gigantic mortgage, but now it's in the range of apartment rents. Believe me, I
know how incredibly lucky we were. Before that, we were in a 1 car garage (er,
studio) home for 25 years.

It ain't that the pay is so spectacular...

-Jay
July 6, 2005 11:23:18 PM

In article <FcWye.1758$Tc6.447@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> mfassett@pacbell.net writes:

> Jay, here in Redwood City, a nice 2 car garage is a luxury, unless
> you're a software big wig or stanford lecturer. Hey, waitaminute... :)

In Redwood City, there are families of six bidding up the prices on two
car garages if they have running water.

July 7, 2005 2:06:57 AM

In article <1120669574.088034.279980@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Haolemon <gary_flanigan@ce9.uscourts.gov> wrote:

>More to the point of this story, my wife's purse is a strange no-man's
>land filled with a variety of items, non of which can be located in a
>timely manner. I have offered to organize it for her, but oddly this
>offer has been met with fierce resistance. Scott, how brave are you?

If by some mysterious and extremely unlikely chance I do someday carry a purse
I assure you Scott will not hesitate to put stuff I don't need in it, rummage
around in it, pull things out of it, put them back in and generally wreak havoc.

He is Not Shy and Has No Fear.

He may injure himself on something sharp in the process but that will not
stop him.

--chak
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 2:16:39 AM

In article <1120684168.449374.78940@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<rsmith@bsstudios.com> wrote:
>Melissa M. Dorsey wrote:
>
>Revelation: Chrome wire rack shelving & clear plastic dust sealing
>tubs. Lots of small tubs, less medium sized and a few large ones.
>Allows for organization of all those parts and someday projects. Items
>of current interest can easily be spotted through the clear plastic
>without the usual time wasting linear search. Just went through such a
>cleanup. It was getting bad having to do a 'special dance' to get
>around in the control room.

He's already done a bunch of that - we bought more tubs the other night, we
have lots of little ones and even a fair number of large ones - now he can even
tell me where to find the RJ11 crimp tool. This is far better and safer than
the chaos, even if Husband totally doesn't mind chaos.

He's very tolerant of me, possibly because I am not a total tidy-freak - as
evidenced by the condition of my own room. I am just less able to deal with
total chaos than he is.

He is a very wonderful person to try and work with me on this, but it is
difficult for both of us.

--Chak
>bobs
>
>Bob Smith
>BS Studios
>we organize chaos
>http://www.bsstudios.com

July 7, 2005 3:33:33 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> In Redwood City, there are families of six bidding up the prices on two
> car garages if they have running water.

True story here... we were looking to buy our first home in '99 here in
redwood city. As we looked through home after home, we came across one
home where they had turned one of those metal storage units, maybe 8x10
in size, into a bedroom in the backyard... complete with bed,
electricity, etc.

Of course, many many had garages converted into living spaces too...
which will NOT work at ALL because we all know garages are built to be
STUDIOS and not bedrooms. Sheesh.
July 7, 2005 3:35:21 AM

Jay Kadis wrote:

> I'll tell you, we may be the luckiest home buyers in the bay area. We got an
> amazing house in Hayward 7 years ago just before the latest "step" in home
> prices. The appraisal has almost tripled since.

I hear you... our rwc place has doubled in value in about 5 years. It
just seems stupid to me, but I guess now that I'm in the market I should
be selfishly happy and ignore the complaining of my rent paying friends.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:45:04 AM

Now -here's- a house full of stuff...

reel2reeltexas.com/PPIMuseum.html
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:00:06 AM

In article <hTZye.1865$Tc6.252@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com> mfassett@pacbell.net writes:

> Of course, many many had garages converted into living spaces too...
> which will NOT work at ALL because we all know garages are built to be
> STUDIOS and not bedrooms. Sheesh.

But some bedrooms get converted into studios, completing the circle.

July 7, 2005 12:34:44 PM

"David Grant" <NO_SPAM_PLEASE_jmd_2003@msn.com> wrote in message

>> Though I have to admit that I was half expecting the comet to get
>> pissed and come after us.
>
> ...would be the ultimate example of curiosity killing the cat.

Didn't youse know that the War Of The Worlds is really a documentary (if not
maybe a little premature). Those comet dudes have every right to be pissed
off.

We started it.

geoff
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:34:45 PM

On 7/6/05 4:34 PM, in article 42cc405e$1@clear.net.nz, "Geoff Wood"
<geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote:

> "David Grant" <NO_SPAM_PLEASE_jmd_2003@msn.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Though I have to admit that I was half expecting the comet to get
>>> pissed and come after us.
>>
>> ...would be the ultimate example of curiosity killing the cat.
>
> Didn't youse know that the War Of The Worlds is really a documentary (if not
> maybe a little premature).

I got one clue for you:
New Jersey + 1939 + Yoyodyne...
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 12:34:46 PM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:23:55 GMT, SSJVCmag <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com>
wrote:

>On 7/6/05 4:34 PM, in article 42cc405e$1@clear.net.nz, "Geoff Wood"
><geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote:
>

>> "David Grant" <NO_SPAM_PLEASE_jmd_2003@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> ...would be the ultimate example of curiosity killing the cat.
>>
>> Didn't youse know that the War Of The Worlds is really a documentary (if not
>> maybe a little premature).
>
>I got one clue for you:
>New Jersey + 1939 + Yoyodyne...

aaand from the same movie : Lithium is no longer available on credit.

*cackle*
jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:18:37 PM

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
news:D agnsm$gbq$1@panix2.panix.com:

>>Do I recognize a DEC under that Millennium box?
>
> Hmm... yes, that's a BA-11 box. I think it has an 11/23 processor
> inside and a TRW array processor unit that does FFT in hardware. It
> was really a slick data analysis system a few years back.

I worked on a couple of those back in the early 80's. Well supported but
not flashy.

> I have sweet gum trees all over the place.

Something else we have in common.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:18:38 PM

Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
>news:D agnsm$gbq$1@panix2.panix.com:
>
>>>Do I recognize a DEC under that Millennium box?
>>
>> Hmm... yes, that's a BA-11 box. I think it has an 11/23 processor
>> inside and a TRW array processor unit that does FFT in hardware. It
>> was really a slick data analysis system a few years back.
>
>I worked on a couple of those back in the early 80's. Well supported but
>not flashy.

I once worked for the research department at a hospital. They wanted to
do FFTs in realtime of EEG data. That's not a huge deal, seeing as how
almost everything interesting is below 30 Hz, but they were not allowed to
have a computer. Only the MIS department was allowed to have computers.

So these folks purchased a word processor. It was a very powerful word
processor, with a dozen terminals hanging off an 11/34. They put the
terminals in a closet, pulled out the multiplexer boards, and installed
some A/D cards inside the cabinet and a floating point coprocessor. Threw
away the expensive word processing software and booted RT-11... it stayed
on the inventory records as a word processing system...
--scott
July 7, 2005 5:18:39 PM

In article <dajbmo$fk9$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
wrote:

> Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in
> >news:D agnsm$gbq$1@panix2.panix.com:

> >> Hmm... yes, that's a BA-11 box. I think it has an 11/23 processor
> >> inside and a TRW array processor unit that does FFT in hardware. It
> >> was really a slick data analysis system a few years back.
> >
> >I worked on a couple of those back in the early 80's. Well supported but
> >not flashy.
>
> I once worked for the research department at a hospital. They wanted to
> do FFTs in realtime of EEG data. That's not a huge deal, seeing as how
> almost everything interesting is below 30 Hz, but they were not allowed to
> have a computer. Only the MIS department was allowed to have computers.
>
> So these folks purchased a word processor. It was a very powerful word
> processor, with a dozen terminals hanging off an 11/34. They put the
> terminals in a closet, pulled out the multiplexer boards, and installed
> some A/D cards inside the cabinet and a floating point coprocessor. Threw
> away the expensive word processing software and booted RT-11... it stayed
> on the inventory records as a word processing system...
> --scott

Mmmmm, RT-11!

When I worked for the Neurology Department at the Med school, I managed to
pursuade the boss we needed a computer to do on-line intracellular data
collection and analysis. After investing over $50,000 in a PDP-12 that never
ran anything but Spacewar, he was leery of computers. We got a MINC LSI-11/23
lab computer and a Data Translations A/D board for a mere $35k.

After spending a year programming, it actually ran for several years before the
PC emerged as a much cheaper alternative. The school eventually sold off the
MINC as a "Mr. Computer" because we had left a Letraset label on the thing to
that effect. (There was actually a picture of it in the Stanford Daily.) I
successfully resisted the urge to buy it from the surplus property sales folks
or it would still live in my garage.

-Jay
July 7, 2005 5:29:10 PM

On 7/6/05 10:04 PM, in article h33pc11avvnr8fs4d8kled827ijcs1v6dn@4ax.com,
"jtougas" <jatougasNOSPAM@charter.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:23:55 GMT, SSJVCmag <ten@nozirev.gamnocssj.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/6/05 4:34 PM, in article 42cc405e$1@clear.net.nz, "Geoff Wood"
>> <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote:
>>

>>> "David Grant" <NO_SPAM_PLEASE_jmd_2003@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> Didn't youse know that the War Of The Worlds is really a documentary (if not
>>> maybe a little premature).
>>
>> I got one clue for you:
>> New Jersey + 1939 + Yoyodyne...
>
> aaand from the same movie : Lithium is no longer available on credit.
>
> *cackle*

HAH!
They LIVE here!
Watching COWBOY BEBOP and at the end of a series of names of technical
credits was one John Smallberries. Family thought I was having an attack of
some sort till I backed it up and pointed...
!