mic question (bass boost/phase)

Last response: in Home Audio
July 5, 2005 1:02:47 PM

hello everyone,

some mic designs like large-diaphragm cardioid condensers will have the
bass response boosted if you put the mic very close to the sound
source.

is this because of phase issues?

i learned that the presence peak that many mics have is due to phase
stuff inside the capsule, so i was wondering if this is somehow related.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:11:13 PM

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:

>some mic designs like large-diaphragm cardioid condensers will have the
>bass response boosted if you put the mic very close to the sound
>source.
>
>is this because of phase issues?

It's because of the cardioid pattern. I think how the proximity effect
works is discussed in the FAQ. I know there was a long discussion of
this here a couple years ago.

EV used to also have a nice discussion of this on the glossy sheet for
the RE-20.
--scott
July 6, 2005 12:59:28 PM

wow, thanks for the link!

that's some thick, meaningful reading. i will read it bit by bit.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 2:33:35 AM

David Satz wrote:

> Now if a wave is more nearly spherical when it strikes one side of the
> capsule but more nearly plane when it strikes the other side, there
> will be a greater resulting force than if the wavefront had the same
> shape on both sides. The output of a pressure-gradient transducer is
> proportional to the difference between the sound pressure at the front
> and back of the capsule. So ultimately it's that discrepancy in
> wavefront shape between the front and back of the capsule that causes
> the bass boost.

I'd thought this too but came to wonder why the effect, as
described, would be at all frequency dependant.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
!