Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 system hard drive install/boot issues

Last response: in Windows 7
July 16, 2012 6:48:08 PM

So I've been collecting extra parts on the side for a while, and finally got around to throwing them all in a rig yesterday. Here's the system:

AMD Athlon 4000+ (socket 939) 2.4mhz
WinFast NF4K8AC Motherboard
2gb ddr1 Memory
ATI Radeon 4870
Some Thermaltake PSU rated for 420 watts (Double checked in BIOS, the voltages are close enough)
WD 120gb IDE Hard Drive
WD 80gb IDE Hard Drive
Sony CD/DVD drive

Now it boots fine and happy. I went to install windows from a dvd, the installer saw both hard drives but told me that "windows cannot be installed to this disk. this computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk" for both. Something about both of them saying that told me it wasn't something wrong with the hdds, especially because the 120gb one was fresh out of a antistatic bag that was sealed from the factory :\. I went into bios to figure out why, and after looking around I found a utility called "Super Recovery". It basically allows you to manually put in a reserved system partition on the hard drive that windows usually automatically puts on your hard drive of like 100mb. I did that to the 120, and boom, windows allowed me to install onto it. Windows finished installed completely, and went to restart. My boot priority has always been Hard Drive -> then CD-ROM. The system trys to boot from the hard drive, then gets nothing and boots from the cd again. If I take the cd out, it sits there for a bit, then tells you that you need to insert a system disk. The 120gb hdd is pinned to master mode, and the 80gb is pinned for slave. They are plugged into their respective master and slave plugs on the IDE cable. Anyone have any ideas why this thing won't boot :heink:  ? Thanks in advance for anything you can offer! :) 
July 16, 2012 9:03:10 PM

It was already like that, sorry for not mentioning it :\
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 16, 2012 9:08:39 PM

Korin166 said:
It was already like that, sorry for not mentioning it :\

Are you sure? HDD priority is different from Boot sequence...
m
l
July 16, 2012 9:13:12 PM

Yes I'm sure, the 120gb hdd is set to 1st boot priority, the 80gb is second.
m
l
July 16, 2012 9:25:29 PM

Burn this to a dvd?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 16, 2012 9:29:21 PM

Korin166 said:
Burn this to a dvd?

Download and run...
m
l
July 16, 2012 10:19:14 PM

I'll try this thanks :) 
m
l
July 16, 2012 11:11:59 PM

When I used the bootrec.exe /rebuildBcd after the bootrec.exe /fixboot command it told me that it successfully found a windows installation, then it asked if I wanted to add it to the boot sequence, and when I said yes, it said it couldn't find it O.o
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 5:23:59 AM

Try booting with the 80Gb disconnected. (Might be easiest to remove the pwr connector) then reconnect if boot successful. Use Disk Manager to make sure the 80Gb is seen ok, and that it is assigned a drive letter.
(Start->Rt click 'Computer' -> Manage -> Disk Management)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 5:38:58 AM

with old mb..you may be using a drive that the bios cant handle..for size may have to set the size of the drive up yourself.
also a know issue is some drives dont like the firmware or controller of other drives. sometime you hsave to use both ide channels and put one drive on port zero as a master and a cd-rom as slave and the other hard drive on the other channel as master. if your installing xp check that your fdisk the drive and made new nfts partion..most vendors if the put a partion on it a fat 32. (with windows it wants a blank hd no partion so that it can put on a system restore partion on the boot drive.).
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 1, 2013 3:11:24 PM

Is the partition set to 'Active' on the disk you want to boot from?
m
l
!