MN-700 - Intenet keeps disconnecting

Nelson

I have the MN-700 router. Previously, I used a DLink 604
wired router and the DSL would always be connected even
when the internet connection was idle for a day or two.
After switching to the MN-700 router, I now have to wait
for the router to connect to the DSL service everytime I
do not use the internet connection for a few minutes.
The internet connection drops quite often, usually after
5 - 10 minutes of not using the connection. I do not
experience drops when I am downloading or using the
connection constantly. The idle times are set at over 60
minutes.

Also, my upload speeds are now below 80kbits (using MN-
700) when they used to be 130-140kbits (using DLink
router).

The firmware is up to date.

My setup-
---------------
SBC PPPOE DSL
2 wired computers (win XP Pro and 98SE)
Speedstream DSL modem (can't remember model #)
MN-740 XBox adapter connected to XBox
---------------

joker

I bet when your Internet goes down you see a PADT in the basestation log
as the last entry.

Nelson wrote:
> I have the MN-700 router. Previously, I used a DLink 604
> wired router and the DSL would always be connected even
> when the internet connection was idle for a day or two.
> After switching to the MN-700 router, I now have to wait
> for the router to connect to the DSL service everytime I
> do not use the internet connection for a few minutes.
> The internet connection drops quite often, usually after
> 5 - 10 minutes of not using the connection. I do not
> experience drops when I am downloading or using the
> connection constantly. The idle times are set at over 60
> minutes.
>
> Also, my upload speeds are now below 80kbits (using MN-
> 700) when they used to be 130-140kbits (using DLink
> router).
>
> The firmware is up to date.
>
> My setup-
> ---------------
> SBC PPPOE DSL
> 2 wired computers (win XP Pro and 98SE)
> Speedstream DSL modem (can't remember model #)
> MN-740 XBox adapter connected to XBox
> ---------------

Nelson

I see the PADT entries in the log but what should I do to
remedy the situation? Why does the MN-700 disconnect in
this manner while the DLink DI-604 does not?

Thanks,
Nelson

joker

THe PADT terminates the PPPoE connection and there is a problem with the
Microsoft routers that they refuse to automatically reconnect after
receiving that signal. The workaround for that issue is to set the
router to disconnect before the PADT is sent and enable the auto connect
feature.