Windows 7 saying it's not genuine...should I reinstall or something else?

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hello,

I built my computer about 6 months ago and bought windows 7 from my university. It activated fine and has worked well up until a few weeks ago. Windows started to give me warnings that it may not be genuine, my background went black, etc.

I was going to reinstall ("upgrade") windows 7so I first uninstalled service pack 1. After doing this windows no longer gave me these warnings and everything went back to normal. I reinstalled spc 1 just to see what would happen and it started giving me the warnings again.

Does anyone have any idea of what is going on? Should I just upgrade/do a new install? Is it better to do one or the other?

Thanks!

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Yes it is genuine and I have a number for it. I have called Microsoft already and I kept getting transferred to someone else...maybe I need to try again.

blade of grass

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

when you call them, dial into the system a bit then push 0. It will send you to a real person, and they should be able to help you.

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

I did get to talk with people thankfully, but I got transferred to three different people lol. I'll try it again though.