Export Garage Band Tracks To Pro Tools?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 5, 2005 8:06:54 PM

Hi,

Is there any way to export Garage Band tracks to Pro Tools? If so, can
someone point me to instructions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Don
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:58:34 PM

> Is there any way to export Garage Band tracks to Pro Tools?

I assume by this that you want to export the individual tracks of your
Garage Band project and bring them into Pro Tools on separate tracks.
I don't know Garage Band, but I would assume that it has some sort of
mixdown/export function whereby you can save your entire mix to a
stereo file. Try soloing 1 track (or muting all others) and doing a
mixdown. That will probably give you a file with the contents of that
1 track only. Repeat for all tracks.

Good luck,
Travis Garrison
July 5, 2005 9:14:58 PM

In article <1120607914.271091.104140@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Travis Garrison" <travisgarrison@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there any way to export Garage Band tracks to Pro Tools?
>
> I assume by this that you want to export the individual tracks of your
> Garage Band project and bring them into Pro Tools on separate tracks.

Exactly!

> I don't know Garage Band, but I would assume that it has some sort of
> mixdown/export function whereby you can save your entire mix to a
> stereo file. Try soloing 1 track (or muting all others) and doing a
> mixdown. That will probably give you a file with the contents of that
> 1 track only. Repeat for all tracks.
>
> Good luck,
> Travis Garrison

Thanks, Travis. I was hoping for a more elegant export function that
would keep all the tracks synced, but I guess that may not be possible.

I'm not familiar with either program, so I'm truly on a fishing
expedition.

- Don
July 6, 2005 9:55:57 AM

Well more elegant may not be possible, but if you "mixdown" each track so
that each track has the same start time, then you will be able to import
them into protools and they will maintain sync.

"Don" <don@aveburyrecordstogo.com> wrote in message
> In article <1120607914.271091.104140@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "Travis Garrison" <travisgarrison@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Is there any way to export Garage Band tracks to Pro Tools?
>>
>> I assume by this that you want to export the individual tracks of your
>> Garage Band project and bring them into Pro Tools on separate tracks.
>
> Exactly!
>
>> I don't know Garage Band, but I would assume that it has some sort of
>> mixdown/export function whereby you can save your entire mix to a
>> stereo file. Try soloing 1 track (or muting all others) and doing a
>> mixdown. That will probably give you a file with the contents of that
>> 1 track only. Repeat for all tracks.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Travis Garrison
>
> Thanks, Travis. I was hoping for a more elegant export function that
> would keep all the tracks synced, but I guess that may not be possible.
>
> I'm not familiar with either program, so I'm truly on a fishing
> expedition.
>
> - Don
July 6, 2005 12:20:05 PM

Thank you and everyone else who responded to this!

In article
<NnKye.391716$cg1.252214@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Iain Fraser" <strawstud@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Well more elegant may not be possible, but if you "mixdown" each track so
> that each track has the same start time, then you will be able to import
> them into protools and they will maintain sync.
>

> "Don" <don@aveburyrecordstogo.com> wrote in message

> >> I assume by this that you want to export the individual tracks of your
> >> Garage Band project and bring them into Pro Tools on separate tracks.
> >
> > Exactly!
> >
> >> I don't know Garage Band, but I would assume that it has some sort of
> >> mixdown/export function whereby you can save your entire mix to a
> >> stereo file. Try soloing 1 track (or muting all others) and doing a
> >> mixdown. That will probably give you a file with the contents of that
> >> 1 track only. Repeat for all tracks.
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >> Travis Garrison
> >
> > Thanks, Travis. I was hoping for a more elegant export function that
> > would keep all the tracks synced, but I guess that may not be possible.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with either program, so I'm truly on a fishing
> > expedition.
> >
> > - Don
July 7, 2005 1:08:12 AM

You may also wish to make note of the project tempo setting in GB and then
set the new session in PT to the same tempo before importing the tracks,
that way the grid function in PT will accurately line up with the imported
tracks for editing.

malachi

"Don" <don@aveburyrecordstogo.com> wrote in message
news:D ESye.9352$394.4292@fe07.lga...
> Thank you and everyone else who responded to this!
>
> In article
> <NnKye.391716$cg1.252214@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> "Iain Fraser" <strawstud@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> Well more elegant may not be possible, but if you "mixdown" each track so
July 7, 2005 9:05:34 AM

Don asked about moving audio files created in GarageBand into ProTools.

I use Cubase LE - not ProTools - but I believe that what works for me, will
work for you as well.

Although you can use GarageBand's "export" feature, if you wish you can
actually grab the "raw audio" tracks directly, and import them directly.

First, you will have to locate the folder in which your GarageBand projects
are stored. I _think_ it is in the home folder somewhere - look in either the
"Documents" or "Music" folder in your home folder. (As an aside, I've moved my
GarageBand projects folder elsewhere, so I don't recall the exact default
location that GarageBand establishes to store its files).

Once you have located it, open that folder. Within, you will see the
GarageBand documents. I believe they are identified by the suffix ".band", so
if necessary, you can search for them using that string.

Be aware that although they appear in the Finder as standalone documents, the
".band" files are actually "packages" that contain numerous individual files.

To see what's inside the package, right-click on it (two-button mouse) or
control-click (one-button mouse) and choose "Show Package Contents" from the
contextual menu.

In the window that opens, you will see a folder called "Media". Open it.

In the Media folder, you should see one or more ".aif" files. These represent
the acutal recorded audio files for each track (some tracks may have more than
one file in that track). If you click ONE time on one of these files, then
type "Command-i" (Get Info), you will actually be able to listen to the audio
content in the Get Info window.

These seem to be nothing more than ordinary .aif files that you can move
anywhere you wish. Cubase LE can import them, and I would think that ProTools
can, too.

Hope this helps,
- John
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:16:24 PM

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 01:05:34 -0400, John Albert wrote
(in article <42CCB81E.2BABE1D8@snet.net>):

> Don asked about moving audio files created in GarageBand into ProTools.
>
> I use Cubase LE - not ProTools - but I believe that what works for me, will
> work for you as well.
>
> Although you can use GarageBand's "export" feature, if you wish you can
> actually grab the "raw audio" tracks directly, and import them directly.
>
> First, you will have to locate the folder in which your GarageBand projects
> are stored. I _think_ it is in the home folder somewhere - look in either the
> "Documents" or "Music" folder in your home folder. (As an aside, I've moved
my
> GarageBand projects folder elsewhere, so I don't recall the exact default
> location that GarageBand establishes to store its files).
>
> Once you have located it, open that folder. Within, you will see the
> GarageBand documents. I believe they are identified by the suffix ".band", so
> if necessary, you can search for them using that string.
>
> Be aware that although they appear in the Finder as standalone documents, the
> ".band" files are actually "packages" that contain numerous individual files.
>
> To see what's inside the package, right-click on it (two-button mouse) or
> control-click (one-button mouse) and choose "Show Package Contents" from the
> contextual menu.
>
> In the window that opens, you will see a folder called "Media". Open it.
>
> In the Media folder, you should see one or more ".aif" files. These represent
> the acutal recorded audio files for each track (some tracks may have more
than
> one file in that track). If you click ONE time on one of these files, then
> type "Command-i" (Get Info), you will actually be able to listen to the audio
> content in the Get Info window.
>
> These seem to be nothing more than ordinary .aif files that you can move
> anywhere you wish. Cubase LE can import them, and I would think that ProTools
> can, too.
>
> Hope this helps,
> - John

John,

Thanks for that. I hadn't quite needed the info yet, but was about to.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
July 10, 2005 1:18:31 AM

Outstanding!

Thank you very much!

- Don

John Albert <j.albert@snet.net> wrote:

> Don asked about moving audio files created in GarageBand into ProTools.
>
> I use Cubase LE - not ProTools - but I believe that what works for me, will
> work for you as well.
>
> Although you can use GarageBand's "export" feature, if you wish you can
> actually grab the "raw audio" tracks directly, and import them directly.
>
> First, you will have to locate the folder in which your GarageBand projects
> are stored. I _think_ it is in the home folder somewhere - look in either the
> "Documents" or "Music" folder in your home folder. (As an aside, I've moved my
> GarageBand projects folder elsewhere, so I don't recall the exact default
> location that GarageBand establishes to store its files).
>
> Once you have located it, open that folder. Within, you will see the
> GarageBand documents. I believe they are identified by the suffix ".band", so
> if necessary, you can search for them using that string.
>
> Be aware that although they appear in the Finder as standalone documents, the
> ".band" files are actually "packages" that contain numerous individual files.
>
> To see what's inside the package, right-click on it (two-button mouse) or
> control-click (one-button mouse) and choose "Show Package Contents" from the
> contextual menu.
>
> In the window that opens, you will see a folder called "Media". Open it.
>
> In the Media folder, you should see one or more ".aif" files. These represent
> the acutal recorded audio files for each track (some tracks may have more than
> one file in that track). If you click ONE time on one of these files, then
> type "Command-i" (Get Info), you will actually be able to listen to the audio
> content in the Get Info window.
>
> These seem to be nothing more than ordinary .aif files that you can move
> anywhere you wish. Cubase LE can import them, and I would think that ProTools
> can, too.
>
> Hope this helps,
> - John
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:04:13 PM

> In article <42CCB81E.2BABE1D8@snet.net>,
> John Albert <j.albert@snet.net> wrote:
>
>> Don asked about moving audio files created in GarageBand into ProTools.
>>
>> I use Cubase LE - not ProTools - but I believe that what works for me, will
>> work for you as well.
>>
>> Although you can use GarageBand's "export" feature, if you wish you can
>> actually grab the "raw audio" tracks directly, and import them directly.
>>
>> First, you will have to locate the folder in which your GarageBand projects
>> are stored. I _think_ it is in the home folder somewhere - look in either
>> the
>> "Documents" or "Music" folder in your home folder. (As an aside, I've moved
>> my
>> GarageBand projects folder elsewhere, so I don't recall the exact default
>> location that GarageBand establishes to store its files).
>>
>> Once you have located it, open that folder. Within, you will see the
>> GarageBand documents. I believe they are identified by the suffix ".band",
>> so
>> if necessary, you can search for them using that string.
>>
>> Be aware that although they appear in the Finder as standalone documents,
>> the
>> ".band" files are actually "packages" that contain numerous individual
>> files.
>>
>> To see what's inside the package, right-click on it (two-button mouse) or
>> control-click (one-button mouse) and choose "Show Package Contents" from the
>> contextual menu.
>>
>> In the window that opens, you will see a folder called "Media". Open it.
>>
>> In the Media folder, you should see one or more ".aif" files. These
>> represent
>> the acutal recorded audio files for each track (some tracks may have more
>> than
>> one file in that track). If you click ONE time on one of these files, then
>> type "Command-i" (Get Info), you will actually be able to listen to the
>> audio
>> content in the Get Info window.
>>
>> These seem to be nothing more than ordinary .aif files that you can move
>> anywhere you wish. Cubase LE can import them, and I would think that
>> ProTools
>> can, too.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> - John

Hi John,

Fascinating. I get all the way to the Media folder, but when I open it
there's nothing inside.

I agree that where GB puts things is confusing. I recall that they ended up
in my project file the last time instead of in Music>GarageBand, which is
where the sessions are.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
May 27, 2011 5:34:43 AM

Don said:

In article <1120607914.271091.104140@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Travis Garrison" <travisgarrison@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there any way to export Garage Band tracks to Pro Tools?
>
> I assume by this that you want to export the individual tracks of your
> Garage Band project and bring them into Pro Tools on separate tracks.

Exactly!

> I don't know Garage Band, but I would assume that it has some sort of
> mixdown/export function whereby you can save your entire mix to a
> stereo file. Try soloing 1 track (or muting all others) and doing a
> mixdown. That will probably give you a file with the contents of that
> 1 track only. Repeat for all tracks.
>
> Good luck,
> Travis Garrison

Thanks, Travis. I was hoping for a more elegant export function that
would keep all the tracks synced, but I guess that may not be possible.

I'm not familiar with either program, so I'm truly on a fishing
expedition.

- Don

>> Travis,

I frequently export songs from garage band, and to answer your question to the most un-intuitive and inconvenient feature of garage band - no, you can not elegantly export your tracks from GB. HOWEVER, there IS a way - it may not be clean and snappy, but it is the only way.

1) Create a file and name it. (eg.) "My Song Track Export"
2) Solo (headphone icon) your first track, Then under 'Share' >"Export to Disk." at maximum quality.
3) Save these tracks to the file that you created. ALWAYS remember to stay organized
4) Repeat this until all tracks have been 'mixed down'.
5) Open protools and under "File">"Import"
6) Add all of your individual tracks to the converter, then "Convert All".
7) Click DONE!

It's not pretty, But it does the trick.

Hope i was a help!
Justin Niederhauser (crazyman_justin@yahoo.com)
August 9, 2011 3:43:02 AM

The solution suggested by Justin works perfectly!

I work with my brother, who is on a Mac/Garageband; I'm on a PC/Pro Tools SE.

He sends me separate tracks. I just create a new empty session in Pro Tools and import each file to a separate track: The clock syncs up perfectly and automatically.

Thanks so much for this solution!

dg

March 20, 2012 12:43:32 PM

So my situation is...
I'm planing to record song from home using my Mac laptop running Garage Band and bringing it into my friends mixing studio and using pro tools.

If I follow the steps above. Will the tracks run in time, even if they are dropped in at different times (For example solos/FX)??
March 20, 2012 5:21:51 PM

I've never run into any problems with this.

dg
!