If I lower ddr 400 to 333 can I get better timings

dave1g

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
If I were to buy DDR 400 PC3200 RAM CL 3.0 could I lower the frequency and get better timings?

If so how much better? and what would be the frequency and timings to get better performance than 400 and CL 3?

I ask this because i have noticed that DDR 400 CL 3 and 2.5 sticks are cheaper than ddr 2700 CL 2 sticks. Based on pricewatch numbers.

Also of importance is that I will be getting a AMD barton 2500+ which I plan to overclock. I may do this through FSB, multiplier or a mix of the 2.

Thank you for any help you can provide me with. I have read the recent THG article on ram timings but i dont think i understood all of it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you could theoretically reduce the Cas Latency when underclocking, but I can't say how much for sure as it varies with the hardware.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i just want to point out that if you get your memory from a bad brand you could run into a lot of trouble...unless we are talking about crucial...i cannot think of any other good memory maker that makes cas 3 memory...

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil: