Sign in with
Your question

3tb boot drive Win 7 not fully recognized

Last response: in Windows 7
July 17, 2012 1:37:30 AM

Hello,
I have a brand new set up that is running windows 7 64 bit on a ASrock H61M-GE, supports UEFI (not sure if it is automatically enabled) with a 3TB hdd that is the boot drive. There are no other hard drives available on the computer. Windows has only recognized 1.99TB of the drive in the OS, the other 7XXGB are unallocated. I would like this drive to be in "one piece" and be booted from. How should I go about making this work?
July 17, 2012 2:02:37 AM

The Drive shows up in the BIOS as 3000GB fyi
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 2:21:07 AM

You probably used MBR partioning when infact you should have used GBT or also called GUID.
edit: there is no way to fix this except for reinstalling windows. Otherwise you can always make the free space available as a seperate partion by typing in diskmgmt.msc when pressing start and selecting+formating the free space on the HDD.

If you want to have one giant 3tb you must reinstall using custom settings.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 2:28:50 AM

Do you have the drive attached to the Intel storage controller or an add-in controller?
July 17, 2012 4:15:50 AM

Directly SATA. If I were to create a smaller partition on the unallocated space, could I install a copy of windows there and have that as a "windows only" partition. The total reinstall might just be easier
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 4:22:43 AM

Is anything else installed on the first partition already ? -- there are partitioning software programs that allow you to adjust the size of the partition by removing the free space (so instead of reinstalling windows to a windows only partition you just shrink the current windows partition and then use the rest as the non system partition.)
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 4:34:48 AM

If he installed using MBR a partion resizing software won't solve the problem. It is a limit of MBR not being able to use more than 2tb for a boot drive.
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 4:46:06 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
If he installed using MBR a partion resizing software won't solve the problem. It is a limit of MBR not being able to use more than 2tb for a boot drive.

If it was installed to a blank drive Windows would have automatically configured it using a GPT scheme if all the prerequisites were met
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 4:58:32 AM

Well instead of guessing lets have him check. Go to start diskmgmt.msc when it's open right click on disk 0, select Volumes tab, and check partition style.
!