JonathanF

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
My Computer has an ASUS P4PE Motherboard that is running Windows XP Pro on a WDC 120 GB IDE Disk Drive.

I just purchased a WDC 250 GB Serial ATA Disk Drive, and even though the Computer's BIOS recognizes the Disk Drive, my Windows XP System cannot recognize the Disk Drive.

In my Computer's Windows Device Manager and under the SCSI and RAID Controllers the WinXP Promise FastTrak 376 Controller is listed.

How I can get my existing Windows XP Pro to recognize the WDC 250 GB Serial ATA Disk Drive?

After that, can I boot up my Computer in the DOS mode to use a Ghost Floppy to Ghost my existing WDC 120 GB IDE Disk Drive's "C" Partition to my new WDC 250 GB Serial ATA Disk Drive's "C" Partition.

Jonathan

Jonathan

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you partition your new HD? It needs to be partitioned and formatted before you can use.
After that, can I boot up my Computer in the DOS mode to use a Ghost Floppy to Ghost my existing WDC 120 GB IDE Disk Drive's "C" Partition to my new WDC 250 GB Serial ATA Disk Drive's "C" Partition.
Depends on Ghost. If it supports SATA and be able to load SATA's driver, then it can recognize your new HD.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

quick_lude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
I'm having the same issue! I'm using the Promise onboard chip on the MSI KT400 Ultra-SR mobo. I have a maxtor sata hd that I would like to add to my system as a secondary drive, NOT in a raid configuration. Win2000 boots up fine and in Comp Management I see the drive under Disk Drives as SCSI disk device controlled by the Fast Track376 controller. I CANNOT see it under disk management so I cannot format it through there. Do I have to format this drive somehow outside the Win20000 environment? That doesn't make sense to me.. Please help, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

tumadre123

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
try this: go to control panel in classic view and double click administrative tools. then go to computer management.
once there on the left side under storage click disk management. on the bottom part of the right side of the screen it list all of the disk in the computer including cd-roms, right click the drive that isn't showing up and select "change drive letter and paths..". from there i think you click add and then you pick the drive letter you want, not sure as my drive has a letter assigned to it. you can also format the drive from the disk management window.
hope this helps.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" -quote from a ThinkGeek.com t-shirt

quick_lude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
Well that might help with XP but in my case I have w2k. The drive doesn't show under disk management so I can't even right click it to change drive letter/paths.

quick_lude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2003
Well that might help with XP but in my case I have w2k. The drive doesn't show under disk management so I can't even right click it to change drive letter/paths.

tumadre123

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
the only other thing i can think of to do is to *try* a version of partion magic, preferibly version 8, using kazaa or some other peer to peer network and if it works for you go out and buy yourself a copy as it is a really good utility to have. you might find some free or shareware utilities at <A HREF="http://www.download.com" target="_new"> download.com </A> .

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't" -quote from a ThinkGeek.com t-shirt

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
the major disk vendors often have utilities
example: <A HREF="http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp" target="_new">Western Digital Software </A>

The loving are the daring!

bebo77

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2003
I had the same problem. I think the only way is to create an array with the drive only (use controller bios CTRL-F). after you create the array you find a disk named Promise Raid SCSI disk device in device manager and you be able to format and partition from disk management

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
I concur. The promise controller will only show a drive if an array is defined. Creating a 1 disk array is possible using RAID 0. I tried creating a 1 disk JBOD array but that didn't work.