barebone ide / airflow problems

MrOiseau

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2003
Anyone had experiences with barebones, and if so, what to do with the airflow problem?
I work mostly with Shuttle - series barebones, end the problem here is that the back end of the harddisk is about 1 to 2 inches above the processor heatsink / fan (depending on type, some have a regular fan, other have heatpipes to the back).

Regular flatcables have to be or twisted completely to the side, or positioned right above the processor, resulting in a smell of burned rubber. (yum.)

Rounded cables can help for a while, but the few tiny loose cables tend to heat even faster than a flat cable, resuting in data loss and errors...

I have to build about 30 barebone systems / month, and get about 12 defective systems per month back...

Are there any specially shielded IDE cables on the market, or any other solutons would be higly appreciated.

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Sounds like you are not using fully enclosed rounded cables. <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/silveride.html" target="_new">Some</A> of them have the individual wires exposed at the connector, while some are sleeved along the entire length of the cable. Like <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/idea26.html" target="_new">this one</A>. Perhaps just that extra bit of shielding would be enough. Could be worth a try.
There are such products as heat resistant tubing, but I have only seen it sold in bulk, for industrial uses. You might even be able to get away with just taping a piece of insulating foam or some other material on the underside of the cable. Does it have to be pretty?

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, he could even put junk in a real case, and have a similar system without those problems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>