OS for DAW: XP Pro -vs- XP Media Center 2005

Last response: in Home Audio
July 6, 2005 9:48:02 PM

I was planning on XP Pro for a new Nuendo/Sonar PC-based studio. I'm
curious about the MS XP Media Center 2005 Edition OS. After reading
about this a few minutes ago at MS sites, it sounds like it's
enhancements are more geared to home theaters, music and video
downloads, whole-house AV control, etc. - not a pro studio audio/midi
DAW.

This will be strictly an audio-only (some audio for video) computer. Is
XP Pro still the best (or only) option?

Specifically, I was looking at the Sony VAIO VGC-RA830G.

3.4Ghz
Intel 915 P chipset
$1575 with good connectivity
Only supports up to 2GB RAM
Processor is "not upgradeable"

The DAW control interface is a Yamaha DM1000 and I/O is a MOTU 2408.

Thanks in advance for advice and comments
Cheers,
Oddio Guy

July 7, 2005 1:48:51 AM

Ask on the Windows newsgroups, but I believe Media Center is basically
XP Home bundled with a bunch of multimedia applications and a desktop
configured to provide fast paths to the latter. Doesn't buy you anything
unless you want to use those apps, may cost you something in terms of
resources already committed to those apps unless you explicitly unload them.

XP Home isn't all that different from XP Pro. As far as I can tell, Home
mostly hides some of the more sophisticated networking controls. I've
used both and can't tell the difference under normal operation.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 1:51:39 AM

Oh, the other difference between XP Home and Pro: If you want to upgrade
from NT without wiping the disk and reinstalling, you're forced to get Pro.
July 7, 2005 1:34:41 PM

In article <1120697282.527655.71090@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> oddioguy@aol.com writes:

> curious about the MS XP Media Center 2005 Edition OS. After reading
> about this a few minutes ago at MS sites, it sounds like it's
> enhancements are more geared to home theaters, music and video
> downloads, whole-house AV control, etc. - not a pro studio audio/midi
> DAW.

Exactly. Microsoft has no interest in the small handful of serious DAW
users, they want a Windows computer in every living room or home
theater. If there's any useful fallout from the tools in this version
of Windows that will be useful to DAW users, it's yet to be explored
and exploited.

I suspect that it's more likely that the "features" will get in the
way of efficient DAW operatin and there will be an expanding list of
things to disable as people become more familiar with the workings of
XP Media Center OS.

> Specifically, I was looking at the Sony VAIO VGC-RA830G.

I'd keep away from a "department store" computer for DAW applications.
If you're not into assembling your own computer from parts, look
around in your area to see if there's still a custom computer shop who
will do it for you. You can discuss your needs - not in terms of
programs that you want ot run that they've probably never heard of,
but in terms of build specificaions.

You'll want a very quiet case and power supply, sufficient CPU
power, consider two disk drives, possible one removable, either
Firewire or with a mobile rack in the case. A high quality DVD burner.
Unless you're planning to do video work, you don't need a high powered
3D graphics board. Save your money and save a fan. A decent assembler
should be able to locate the best set of components for your
application and make sure that everything is working so you won't have
to troubleshoot incompatabilities and installation issues. Since
you've already decided on the audio interface you want to use, give it
to the shop so they can install and test it.

July 10, 2005 6:52:42 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <1120697282.527655.71090@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> oddioguy@aol.com writes:
>
> > curious about the MS XP Media Center 2005 Edition OS. After reading
> > about this a few minutes ago at MS sites, it sounds like it's
> > enhancements are more geared to home theaters, music and video
> > downloads, whole-house AV control, etc. - not a pro studio audio/midi
> > DAW.
>
> Exactly. Microsoft has no interest in the small handful of serious DAW
> users, they want a Windows computer in every living room or home
> theater. If there's any useful fallout from the tools in this version
> of Windows that will be useful to DAW users, it's yet to be explored
> and exploited.
>
> I suspect that it's more likely that the "features" will get in the
> way of efficient DAW operatin and there will be an expanding list of
> things to disable as people become more familiar with the workings of
> XP Media Center OS.
>
> > Specifically, I was looking at the Sony VAIO VGC-RA830G.
>
> I'd keep away from a "department store" computer for DAW applications.
> If you're not into assembling your own computer from parts, look
> around in your area to see if there's still a custom computer shop who
> will do it for you. You can discuss your needs - not in terms of
> programs that you want ot run that they've probably never heard of,
> but in terms of build specificaions.
>
> You'll want a very quiet case and power supply, sufficient CPU
> power, consider two disk drives, possible one removable, either
> Firewire or with a mobile rack in the case. A high quality DVD burner.
> Unless you're planning to do video work, you don't need a high powered
> 3D graphics board. Save your money and save a fan. A decent assembler
> should be able to locate the best set of components for your
> application and make sure that everything is working so you won't have
> to troubleshoot incompatabilities and installation issues. Since
> you've already decided on the audio interface you want to use, give it
> to the shop so they can install and test it.

Yeah. I'll stay away from the "dept store" computers. And the Media
Center Edition.

Actually, I am probably going to get an ABS or SYS customized system
anyway, with very low-noise PS and cooling fans, upgradeable to 4GB
RAM, and will have two internal HDs as well as an external Firewire HD.
No software (excpet OS), no printer, no spkrs, no monitor, etc. I'll
take advantage of some highly-regarded LCD monitor deals on-line. The
computer will be in a soundproofed room of its own, with a port for
monitor, keyboard, MOTU firwire and DM1000 USB cables into it.

I currently have that 3-drive combination in a nearly 4-yr old Dell P3
800Mhz, and it has been rock solid under XP Home. And so-o-o easy to
back up.

- Dale
Oddio Guy
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:21:30 PM

> Build, or get built a mix-n'match jobbie. It will likely be cheaper and
> better, and not have any proprietry 'gotcha' twists in the installed
> software, oS, and BIOS.
>
> geoff

So . . . has anyone purchased either an SYS or ABS system? They get
good component and system ratings, are quite configurable (including,
on many systems, MOBOS, chipsets, processors, cards,
take-em-or-leave-em peripherals, etc)

Isn't this "configurable enough"?

Any current PC mobos or chipsets to stay away from for a DAW-only
computer?? My sense is that most "current" higher-end components are
fairly safe.

I am also wondering about the benefits of a dual-processor. Some
recommend them. My track count will probably rarely exceed 24, but it
would nice to avoid the expense of a DSP card right now. At least I
have a couple of Lex dig verbs.

Will a local "mix-n-match" PC-maker typically know what central
components to avoid (or recommend) for a DAW application? I suspect
some will. some won't / can't.

Should I just build my own? I've replaced just about everything in a
computer at one time or another, and clean installed a couple times
(pre XP).

Oh, oh. My time is worth a lot, right now. Neeh. I spent my wad
(time and money) on comprehensive, well-researched design and
construction. I convinced my patient wife it was time and money well
spent. Do you really need vacations, free time or fine wine? Don't
you miss the MDF dust on the dishes? My thousands of students and pro
colleagues will flock to this studio! Thank God she is a talented
amateur musician. I really owe her some of the remaining years of my
life (yikes, did it really take that long??)

Thanks for the view.

Dale
"Oddio Guy"
Anonymous