Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Anyone as excited about this game as I am? If you are be sure to sign up to play the battle.net beta test on january 7th. <A HREF="http://www.blizzard.com/war3/faq/betaannouncement.shtml" target="_new">http://www.blizzard.com/war3/faq/betaannouncement.shtml</A>

I'm crossing my fingers that I might be one of the 5000 people to test it :)

<i>AMD's thermal protection: as seen in tom's burning chip video</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
The graphics aren't very impressive, but there's only so far you can go with that genre of game.

4 races, that'll be interesting. The pictures of the different units are pretty crappy though, they should fix that.

How long until release?

Items...that's odd. Looks like it's more in-depth this time around.

Hopefully the gameplay is as good as Warcraft II, but I suspect many people will be disappointed. Hopefully I'm wrong.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
I've never been dissapointed with blizzard's rts games. Warcraft 3 is supposed to be more foccused on strategy and battle than resource management, so you have smaller army's but the units are all important. As for graphics, blizzard is not known as a company that makes games that look cutting edge but that makes games with great gameplay

<i>AMD's thermal protection: as seen in tom's burning chip video</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I know, I was just typing out my thoughts as I looked through the website.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Blizzard is stupid. Warcraft III should have come out 2-3 years ago and I would have been happy. I've been following them for a long time now and they kept delaying the game.

At this point the game is old and the graphics aren't very good so who cares? I'm glad that they put the time into the strategy, but now there are way too many good games out there. They lost the edge that they would have had if they released it with Diablo II.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Starcraft went through numourous delays and overhauls, and it's graphics are not that great compared to other games from it's time. That did not stop it from being a great game and a great success.

<i>The devil's advocate</i>

roomy

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
totally true!

blizzards been announcing this and announcing that bout wc3 for eternity and its like for...... man its like listening to sierras dukenukem forever... when will these games come out? will they? they are nice though(when they come out) but i think it sucks big time when they dangle these things in our noses..its irritating.

amd_dma

G

Yeah it really should have came out last year but the graphics aren't all that bad from what I've seen. Yeah it doesn't use the full power of a Geforce 3 but I really like the RPG elements that they added.

I like to turkey!?!

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the reason a lot of these games are taking so long is because developers are rewriting the games several times. wc3 for instance was originally a view scalable action/rpg before they rewrote it more in the traditional warcraft way. team fortress 2 (the game that will never be released) was completely done and awaiting testing before the graphics engine was scrapped and totally rewritten (up from nothing, thats right, no more quake ripoffs). the developers really do have good intentions when they decide to do things right, its just not that easy to code and debug games approaching 1gig in size.

Hard work often pays off in time, but laziness always pays off now.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Hopefully the gameplay is as good as Warcraft II, but I suspect many people will be disappointed. Hopefully I'm wrong.
No offense to you FatBurger, but you're dead-ass wrong.

:wink:

I'm teasing, of course, but only partially -

The graphics are irrelevant. The main attraction of a good RTS game is the gameplay itself. I think it's fair to say that Blizzard has proven itself - I challenge you to claim that any game they have made is bad.

Looking at their record (Warcraft, Diablo, Warcraft II, StarCraft, Diablo II, Diablo II Expansion), it seems to me at least that <b>all</b> their games have been excellent.

As for comparing it to Warcraft II - this is ridiculous. Starcraft was a far better RTS, if not one of the best PC games of all time. If Blizzard can live up to Starcraft, Warcraft III will be one of the best games ever.

Of course, WIII hasn't been released yet. It could, in theory, be the pants. But I know Blizzard - look for WIII to be one of the best games of 2002.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>