Which version of Windows 7 should I purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I've only ever used a basic HOme editions of OEM software for my PC's that I have purchased from DELL over the years.

I'm currently typing on my first " Home Built " PC - using Windows 7 RC. With the rollout of Windows 7 coming - I'm considering purchasing the O/S at pre sale price coming out in the near future.

My Uses are basic Web surfing - Home office applciations - Some Graphics / web design - Gaming - tv tuner - etc.

I'd also like to at some point set up a network for data storage - on an older PC - to toy around with Linux platform.

Is there a reason as a Home user as I described above that I would want to get higher than Home Premium. What extra functionality will Professional, or Ultimate offer to a Home PC user / enthusiast. From the link below - the only difference I could take was - XP & automatic backup mode in professional - and a more security features with Ultimate edition. ( I have never been one that had a backup system - so I'm not in a posiiton to evaluate how that works with and O/S - or what it entails hardware or software wise ? Is it something I should be looking for - and how would that work? )

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare-editions

Thanks

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Thanks,

That link pretty much cleared up any questions I had. Home Premium it is then

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Beetlebox

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009

??? Are you saying W7 home premium supports 192GB of RAM?

Since 64-bit W7 RC Ultimate supports 192GB of RAM I would guess it would be the same for the RTM OS and for Home Basic/Premium to support 12GB/24GB.

If the OP is using a 32-bit version however he will probably still be limited to less than 4GB of RAM.

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
??? Are you saying W7 home premium supports 192GB of RAM?

.....thats not remotely what i am saying. i typed "home premium UNLESS you need 192 GB of RAM. as in that is the only major difference between home/pro/ultimate. how did you even misinterpret that?

So this probably answers my question too. Planning to purchase the Pre-Release upgrade discs. Though I'm considering ordering two. One for my PC, and one for my wife's, as I'm sure she'll want the upgrade too. Currently running the Win 7 RC and love it. Haven't had a single issue so far. Course the RC is "Ultimate" edition, in 64bit.

The only real difference I saw between Home Premium and Professional on Microsoft's list is the XP Compatability mode. Not sure if that would be of any consequence to me. I primarily play games on my system. My wife primarily does blogging and photo editing. So I doubt it'd be even a concern for her.

I wonder if the discs you order are 32 bit & 64bit in one? In other words, do I have to specifically purchase/order the 64bit version?

Okay that's what I was hoping for. :) Costco has the Home Premium for $44.99

Where as other sites (including Microsoft) have it for $49.99. So Costco is doing it for $5 less. ;)

Oh btw, the Pre-Order form on the Microsoft site says this about Home Premium:
"This product includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions."

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade/product/B0F9E641

EDIT: Well, it worked out to be $4 cheaper for me to buy 2 copies of Home Premium through Costco. Costco charges about $10 shipping, where as Microsoft charges $4.99. So if you're only ordering one copy, it may break even.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I plan on getting a oem copy of ultimate should cost about the same as a retail copy of home

i found with xp pro there are a lot of little things that make life easier than home. There is nothing major if fact i can't think of any at the moment but from working on computers with xp home i constantly find myself saying where did this or that go. i could be wrong but i assume it will be the same way with win7.

abc_1

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
HP, Lenovo, DELL and Sony Windows 7 Upgrade program
Upgrade windows 7 program is no good, when you buy a new computer from HP, Lenovo, DELL and Sony, you will get quick recovery copy, for example: if you replaced the hard drive to new or you have a super virus or more, you can put the recovery media in DVD drive restart the computer, after up to 30 minutes you have a new system and all drivers include service programs is installed, fast and easy, but if you have an Upgrade of windows 7 and you replaced the hard drive to new or you have a super virus or more, you start with recovery of windows vista up to 30 minutes then you continue to windows 7 Upgrade up to 60 minutes (Upgrade needed a lot of time), then you needed to install new drivers (only if you have a problem), how needs it had pain, all computers have needs to reinstall the windows at least of minimum one time in a year for maximum preferment (depend of computer work burden), so fest recovery it is up to 30 minutes and Upgrade recovery it is up to 90, and you cannot go to drink a café you must replace the DVD and more, windows back up is not good because it is work whit windows original DVD only not the recovery DVD, so the best thing to do is do not buy a new computer or windows vista (windows vista is true garbage ) and wait to 22 of October, or if Microsoft is to consider to release the windows 7 only on OEM computers like HP, Lenovo, DELL and Sony for little early like on 22 of September, so do it please because no vista and no Upgrade for work it, your old computer yes can hold one or two months more, if not go for XP or Linux for two months .
and windows 7 professiona is the best

You will have to do a clean install - There is no way to directly "upgrade" an x86 installation to an x64 one.

ajst2duk

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

Dude you are making things sooo complicated. Did you ever think about doing a clean install, loading your core apps and drivers, then doing an image backup (you can do this in W7).
Once you have this, you can simply reload the disk image file if you wanted a clean install. I doubt you would even have enough time to go drink a cafe !!!!!

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I have a Newer PC set up with Radeon, X48board, Soundblaster, 4gig crucial ram, Velociraptor for system drive ect... It's all good stuff. Top of the line a year ago.

I want to upgrade to WIndows 7.

Questions: Do I need PRO or Ultimate? Should I get upgrade or FULL? I am going to clean install.

Another Question: I still play some good old games like Command and Conquer Generals Zero hour and Civilization III. Do I need Windows XP mode from the PRO version to run these? Or will they run ok on the HOME version?

Last- difference between 64 bit and 32 bit? What runs faster or more solid? What will my games work on?

Sometimes I will play games, download movies, I have a BLU RAY Drive installed.

Thanks

G

EVERYONE GET HOME PREMIUM: HERES WHY

i haD HOME PREMIUM THEN I WENT ON YOUTUBE and i found a windows 7 ultimate key that worked just fine... FOR FREE

so do not waste extra money on ultimate

G

DONT GET ULTIMATE... you only have to get home premium... then go to youtube and there is a FREE key there... it works fine. dont have to pay extra for ultimate!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.