Sign in with
Your question

How does it compare to 7

Last response: in Windows 8
May 11, 2012 4:51:58 PM

Just as the Thread title states how does it compare to windows 7?

More about : compare

May 12, 2012 3:10:04 AM

Well The Metro UI isn't too practical compared to the traditional start menu, and it takes place of the start menu so you have to learn a lot of the keyboard shortcuts to be able to navigate quickly without a start menu.

But, all the new redesigned windows and windows apps is great, the new task manger is amazing in my opinion.

And I seem to be getting a lot of performance increases with my processor (AMD Phenom II x6 1090t), and I have heard from numerous sources that its multithreading was greatly increased.

And it seems to boot insanely fast compared to Windows 7, I am getting about a 30 second boot off of a single SATA II 7200RPM Hard Drive.

Overall I think it is better than Windows 7, primarily due to the performance increases. After you learn a lot of the new Windows 8 shortcuts you really have no use for the start menu.
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2012 3:36:09 AM

cdiscoll2012 said:
Just as the Thread title states how does it compare to windows 7?

Like apples and oranges.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2012 9:29:30 AM

The multi screen support is excellent. Anyone who has a multi screen set up is going to love Win 8. The Metro GUI is actually quite fine. If you right click on a task bar and click properties, go to tool bars and add desktop you will get an option on the task bar that looks very much old school start menu.

I have had to tweak here as one would expect with a consumer preview. The most annoying part of Win 8 is the apps. If you close windows by clicking top left of the screen you are liable to end up in some app. The apps have failed to impress and I have gone for good third party applications.

It uses a lot less RAM but caches up in RAM a lot more in some circumstances. I like Win 7 but Win 8 is its superior despite the furore around the Metro GUI.
May 16, 2012 9:19:10 PM

For performance it seems to use less memory, and it seems to be better in multithreading. There should allso be support for that new disk system that will not be so easily corrupted (not in boot sector though at this moment)
The UI is more or less a matter of taste. Win 8 seems to be allso marginally faster in games (allso in these pre release version) but the differense is guite small. There is a good article in here Tomshardware
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/win8-speed-performance,revi...
May 16, 2012 9:34:56 PM

For a desktop pc, stay with win 7 :) 
a c 372 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 17, 2012 12:30:04 AM

Windows 7 is still the one to stick with.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 17, 2012 12:38:54 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Windows 7 is still the one to stick with.

Hi :) 

TOTALLY agree....stay with 7....

All the best Brett :) 
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 1:51:00 AM

Windows 8 is faster and leaner and has some cool features and improvements. Unfortunately it comes with Metro and a desktop without a start button which is crap. So stick to Windows 7 sigh. :( 
a b $ Windows 7
May 17, 2012 2:16:13 AM

I think the biggest problem for W8 is the Windows7.

Its just too good.

Unlike the Vista was.
May 17, 2012 4:49:30 PM

I use windows 8 primarily with vistart and its basically windows 7 with the OPTION of using metro. The only time I actually use metro is for some of the settings. But agreed, metro sucks
May 17, 2012 4:55:06 PM

If they allow us to disable to Metro or at least have the OS to detect if there is a touch interface device on the system, if no touch device detected disable Metro. It performs nicely I admit and does better with multithreaded cpu's but that UI....eww!! :pfff: 
May 17, 2012 4:57:01 PM

overall i like windows 8
minus metro

I don't really get the point of metro on a desktop
its different just for the sake of being different and really doesnt improve effciency
May 18, 2012 2:04:48 AM

Is there a way to turn off that silly Metro UI? They kinda look like childrens building blocks.
May 18, 2012 2:32:26 PM

mobrocket said:
overall i like windows 8
minus metro

its different just for the sake of being different and really doesnt improve effciency

Sort of like IE9 moving the Favorites to the right hand side.
May 22, 2012 8:09:11 PM

Love how all those that suggested you try Win8 gave good reasons...and those that said stick with Win7 have nothing to say.

Look...give Win8 the same amount of time you've given XP and Win7...you will find it is a better OS. It is different in a lot of ways...but it leaner, faster, more informative and will integrate with other devices much better than anything previous. On paper Win8 is remarkable...in practicality it still is...you just need to give it an honest shot to get used to the changes.
June 5, 2012 4:11:39 PM

just like vista (as for the different looks), it just takes a bit of getting used to. I admit i dislike the metro UI for PC use and not having it on a touch screen, but I do like the efficiency of the OS, speed and less resourses it requires.

in all if i really would need a Start menu ill just use a skin program like others have mentioned. you just have to move forward with these things.

Windows 8 amazed me with the dev preview that my Printer showed up right away over the network, it installed the drivers for it and even had a detailed picture of it under the printers in my control panel, now THAT is amazing to me, having come from needing the disc or always downloading the drivers from the webpage. There has been no computer thus far that i have tried win8 on that does not have all the basic drivers for every component in the PC to make everything functional out of the box (but of course i install all the proper updated drivers from manufacture websites).

To all the haters, just give win8 a chance and im sure you will either end up liking it or at least having it as a dual boot, or second system, but there is always ways to make it look like windows 7, if the metro UI leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.
June 5, 2012 9:44:46 PM

For those saying windows 8 boots fast and runs smooth as silk:

Of course it does... it is a fresh install of the OS. When I do a fresh install of Windows 7 on my 8 year old PC it also runs smooth as silk and boots in about 20 seconds... and it is responsive and blah blah blah

Fact is any windows OS will run smooth as silk on a fresh install... rendering any and all such commentary as evidence of Window 8 greatness totally meaningless.

Smooth as silk in after 1.5 years of hard use, we'll see. Until then, delete those comments before you make them because, frankly... they are silly.
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 9:49:26 PM

thecolorblue said:
For those saying windows 8 boots fast and runs smooth as silk:

Of course it does... it is a fresh install of the OS. When I do a fresh install of Windows 7 on my 8 year old PC it also runs smooth as silk and boots in about 20 seconds... and it is responsive and blah blah blah

Fact is any windows OS will run smooth as silk on a fresh install... rendering any and all such commentary as evidence of Window 8 greatness totally meaningless.

Smooth as silk in after 1.5 years of hard use, we'll see. Until then, delete those comments before you make them because, frankly... they are silly.

Well, u need to learn what to do, to keep it smooth.

There is a few ways to do it.
June 5, 2012 9:54:00 PM

nikorr said:
Well, u need to learn what to do, to keep it smooth.

There is a few ways to do it.

I've always found that a format & reinstall works great.
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2012 10:04:16 PM

That's one of the things.

Most simple is SSD.

Than back up image with most of your soft installed, except for the security apps.

That u can reload every few month's on the HDD, SSD is OK.

And W8 u can reload without re-install.
June 9, 2012 6:39:30 AM

The way I see, it's Windows 7 with performance improvements and the metro UI.

The Metro UI totally ruined my experience. I went back to Windows 7 in an hour of Windows 8 usage.
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2012 12:17:03 PM

Yeah, I don't blame u.

But an hour, its not enough though : )
June 9, 2012 3:25:33 PM

I loved XP, along with most everybody, then heavily disappointed with Vista, along with most everybody. I got Win7, and I am thoroughly enjoy it. Not going to chance 8, even if I enjoyed the release preview.
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2012 3:40:01 PM

Its gonna be hard to justify the switch, when u have a W7.

I had the XP since day 1 it went on sale, I liked it than, but with the service pack's it just got better.

I skipped Vista and got W7 about a year ago and its fine for everything I do.
June 10, 2012 3:09:23 PM

i have been using the release preview now for several days, i dont have a big issue with the metro UI since i normally use hotkeys anyway to access stuff like run.. and my computer, etc...

so far so good, boots and shuts down quicker in some instances, sometimes i only see the windows loading screen for 2 seconds sometimes for 15, same with the shut down. all on a standard HDD. then if I want to play games like the sims 3 (which take forever to install and update all over again) i just switch back to windows 7.
July 1, 2012 1:31:53 AM

If you have a touchscreen you're going to love windows 8
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2012 1:38:52 AM

mmilner1 said:
If you have a touchscreen you're going to love windows 8

Maybe, but this is not going to be the finest moment for MS on the desktop.
July 1, 2012 3:29:51 PM

nikorr said:
Maybe, but this is not going to be the finest moment for MS on the desktop.

Well with the tablet ready to take over laptops and virtual screens on the horizon we're almost done with the desktop.
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2012 3:36:12 PM

Nobody is done with the desktop for long time. Loooong time.
July 1, 2012 6:41:12 PM

nikorr said:
Nobody is done with the desktop for long time. Loooong time.

i agree, if anything it will be touch tablet/laptops and desktops in the future. there would be no way desktops will ever get replaced completely.
July 3, 2012 8:25:06 PM

The future of PC if all goes according to technology improvements, will be desktops the size of a 10" notebook (lack of mechanical drives) and display/input in the form of holographic 3D. They'll be asking what's a laptop, touchscreen or not.
July 9, 2012 5:18:31 AM

sscultima said:
i agree, if anything it will be touch tablet/laptops and desktops in the future. there would be no way desktops will ever get replaced completely.

Never say "ever" about technology. :) 

But then again, so far desktops are way cheaper. You save the price of a new screen and other peripherals compared to tablets and laptops. And the components are cheaper to make.
July 13, 2012 9:55:58 AM

yonyz said:
Never say "ever" about technology. :) 

But then again, so far desktops are way cheaper. You save the price of a new screen and other peripherals compared to tablets and laptops. And the components are cheaper to make.

LOL, you are right, i should say.. most probably will never, leaving a margin of about 10% that it could possibly happen, after i die.
July 15, 2012 7:38:44 PM

Desktops and laptops are not "way" cheaper. An average, decent, multipurpose desktop is still around $1000. Same as it was 10yrs. ago, yet everything is made for 1c on the dollar. We need to revolt against the greedy bastards making all the profits. Quality control has gone out the window and life expectation of devices dropped to 1-3 years tops.
July 16, 2012 3:35:50 AM

Cyberat_88 said:
Desktops and laptops are not "way" cheaper. An average, decent, multipurpose desktop is still around $1000. Same as it was 10yrs. ago, yet everything is made for 1c on the dollar. We need to revolt against the greedy bastards making all the profits. Quality control has gone out the window and life expectation of devices dropped to 1-3 years tops.

this is true, while these companies keep making stuff for cheaper and cheaper, the prices are sitting around the same, in comparison. In some cases prices are going up in some things like graphic cards, and motherboards.

But it goes up and down year to year, but it makes sense to keep it the same in a graph point of view, you are getting better performance for the same price you paid for that old stuff (if you buy the product in the same window as the last product release, so not buy the old one half way through its life cycle then the next gen right when it comes out).

but with cost affective PCs and laptops they have come a long way for what you get for your money
July 16, 2012 9:55:22 AM

I didn't mean that desktops and laptops get cheaper over time, but that their price to performance is better than that of tablets...
July 17, 2012 9:35:53 PM

sounds like the argument between 98 and me lol
a b $ Windows 7
July 17, 2012 9:38:16 PM

tyler225 said:
sounds like the argument between 98 and me lol

Hows that?
July 18, 2012 10:53:54 AM

The identity crisis that Windows 8 suffers from with its desperate attempt to consolidate both touch-centric and classical desktop environments can be annoying, but overall the operating system seems to perform noticeably better than Windows 7 and has several features that make it a nice upgrade, such as improved cloud integration, a polished user interface, an integrated software store, and snap multi-tasking, just to name a few. It's a step in both the right and the wrong direction at the same time for Microsoft.
July 18, 2012 1:00:37 PM

with every release of windows there is always some things people will not like that they change or remove or add.

i know like with my friend who has one of his computers set up for a media PC he uses Vista because the media center that comes with Vista is a lot better for searching and listing content, especially with all the music he has.

so really its all about how you plan on using it and how much you can stand to over look the stuff you dislike. i know with every OS that i have used there is always at least one thing i hated over the previouse release.
July 20, 2012 1:31:47 AM

nikorr said:
Hows that?

i dont know it just does
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2012 5:53:12 AM

mobrocket said:
overall i like windows 8
minus metro

My thoughts exactly. But Microsoft has to come up with something new every 3-4 years or else they'd stop making sales... I wonder how long Windows 7 will be supported?
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2012 6:01:09 AM

dassix said:
I loved XP, along with most everybody, then heavily disappointed with Vista, along with most everybody. I got Win7, and I am thoroughly enjoy it. Not going to chance 8, even if I enjoyed the release preview.

Whenever, I've used XP on a more powerful system, I've noticed that it doesn't make use of all the hardware's resources it has, as compared to Vista or 7. That's why I moved to Vista until 7 was released.
August 11, 2012 4:38:46 PM

The main difference is how Windows 8 does away with the slow and sluggish ways of Windows 7. Everything is snappier and faster, boot is lightening fast and it's all round amazing. There's a nice fresh feel to it and metro looks great! Been running Release Preview for a long time now and cannot wait to upgrade my whole PC in October! Goodbye Windows 7!
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
August 11, 2012 4:49:21 PM

jarrrp said:
The main difference is how Windows 8 does away with the slow and sluggish ways of Windows 7. Everything is snappier and faster, boot is lightening fast and it's all round amazing. There's a nice fresh feel to it and metro looks great! Been running Release Preview for a long time now and cannot wait to upgrade my whole PC in October! Goodbye Windows 7!

You might not be so happy if you are a gamer... and 8 locks out certain games....

August 11, 2012 4:51:34 PM

Brett928S2 said:

You might not be so happy if you are a gamer... and 8 locks out certain games....

I think you're wrong. I'm a gamer and ALL of my games run perfectly. Windows 8 is still in beta. When it's released, I'm sure game companies will optimise their games. You can't expect everything to work perfectly in a beta release.
!