Can't Boot need help

deoun

Distinguished
May 19, 2002
hello anyone know what could be causeing this?
i have a Compaq Deskpro Series PD1000. i just installed windows 2000 on it, the installiastion process went ok but when it restarts it just sits there. if i unplug the hard drive it tells me no OS installed i tried reinstalling windows couple of times same problem, i swap memory chips i even tried useing a diffrent hard drive still the same thing.. help me help me PLEAE

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by deoun on 05/21/02 08:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
generally i advise against installing a different OS onto an OEM machine...
far too many potential problems in the form of Odd hardware or stange configurations.

do u know what hardware its got under the hood?
and what OS did it ahve to start with?

P.S. press F8 during the boot process, and try booting up in safe mode. see if that works.

My Next Performance System!!! - P4 Celleron, 128k cache, SDRAM, Integrated graphics, 5400rpm HDD!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
generally i advise against installing a different OS onto an OEM machine...
far too many potential problems in the form of Odd hardware or stange configurations.
ESPECIALLY Compaq. They're so damned proprietary it's a PIA. Their stupid SCSI adapters drive me nuts.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
or thinking of Dell machines...
make sure the drives and such are set to Master and slave instead of cable select

My Next Performance System!!! - P4 Celleron, 128k cache, SDRAM, Integrated graphics, 5400rpm HDD!