Can all 432* models of Seagate DDS drives read Audio DAT t..

Last response: in Home Audio
July 7, 2005 1:39:23 AM

I am getting conflicting information.
I see from this forum that 4320 and 4326 can be used for audio
transfer.
This is also mentioned here:

http://homepages.compuserve.de/eungemach/main.html

But then, this page says that they cannot be used:

http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/datfaq.htm

"You will notice that there are quite a number of different 4320 and
4326 drive model numbers, yet only only a couple of them are
potentially audio capable. You cannot upgrade a 4320 Peregrine or a
4326 Piranha/Python."

So, which is it? TIA
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:44:03 PM

On Jul 6, 2005, seanpkrause@gmail.com <seanpkrause@gmail.com> commented:

> I am getting conflicting information.
> I see from this forum that 4320 and 4326 can be used for audio
> transfer.
>------------------------------snip>------------------------------<

I think the reality is that most DDS DAT backup drives are fairly old at this
point, and most of them don't have the drivers needed to work well with
current operating systems like Mac OSX or Windows XP.

I've found there can be a lot of alignment problems and interchange problems
in playing back DAT audio tapes on even different players (let alone DDS
drives). My gut feeling is that while it's possible to play back a DAT tape
on a DDS drive, you're better off just taking the S/PDIF or AES digital
stream out of a conventional DAT machine and feeding it into a computer,
rather than trying to do it on a DDS drive.

For more on this, do a search on the DAT-Heads discussion group site:

http://www.solorb.com/dat-heads/

--MFW
!