Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Hey all,

Well, here we go. I have two 20gb harddrives. One is a Maxtor, and the other I'm not sure (got it from a friend, came with a black cover on it). Well, I restarted my computer lastnight, and it decided not to see the 'other' drive. After unplugging and plugging in the IDE cables, I decided to just go to bed and work with it today. Well, I turned it on today, and it just worked. . .for awhile. It crashes often, and when it does, the harddrive stops being recognized (via Bios, loadup, etc). If I shut it down, and let it sit for a bit, it well come back on. But it will always crash eventually (the more harddrive activity, the sooner the crash). I did a basic level harddrive scan with the Win XP scanner. It said it found bad fat tables. So, here is my question(s).

1. Are there any programs out there that can fix fat tables? I did a advanced scan with XP, and it just froze.

2. Will a format fix this, or is it likely more of a hardware error (since the bios cant even see it).

3. Is it likely, or even possible that it could be something else (heat maybe)? I have the side of the case open with a pretty good fan blowing on it just incase.

Well, thanks in advance. :)

Starion

svol

Champion
Yes chkdsk can fix FAT tabel errors in many cases... and this sounds like a hardware error. It could be a bad drive, bad cable or a to little powersupply.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: