Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Digi 001 or other multichannel interface

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:56:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'm looking to sell my 8-channel ADAT card and M-Audio Delta 1010 LT in
favour of a single unit that has 8 analog inputs and 8-channel ADAT optical
in. Mic preamps would be nice but are not essential. My work isn't high-end
enough to warrant spending lots of money on expensive converters (my
8-channel ADAT in will be coming from a cheapo Behringer 8-channel preamp
anyway) so fantastic quality isn't the most important thing since I can't
really afford to go much over £250 or so, but obviously the better sound,
the better. As I said, price is a strong concern and I'd be looking for a
used unit.

I'm thinking about a used Digi 001, the Echo Layla or the M-Audio FW1814.
I'd like to continue to use Logic 5.5 (I'm running an Athlon 1800 with 512mb
RAM) unless I get the Digi and love Protools LE enough to keep using it. Any
thoughts regarding audio quality, compatibility with software/hardware,
driver support etc? What's the difference between the Digi 001 and 002,
apart from compatibility with newer versions of Protools?

Many thanks.

TJ

--
tj hertz
tjhertz at gmail dot com
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 11:56:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

out of your suggestions, the best in my opinion is the maudio firewire
1814. I have one and think for the value it's really excellent. I'm
using with PTMP but I'm sure it will be greatwith logic or anything
else. M audio has always seemed to be real good with driver support.
I wouldprobably stay away from digi001 at this stage as driver support
may become too limiting in the future and you'll be forced to upgrade
again. Digi 002 is a good option, but really only if you want to get
into protools. As far as i can tell the M audio FW 1814 is just as
useful as the digi 002 save for the lack of extra mic pres, and for a
lot less money. The advantage of the m audio is you don't have to pay
for pro tools if you don't want to get into it now, and you can get
into it later for not much.

The real question here is why do you want to upgrade? any one of the
devices mentioned will do essentially what your 2 cards do now with one
exception- the adat card won't work with pro tools is you decide you
want that route. The delta 1010lt does work with ptmp though. Are you
justlooking to replace the multiple pci cards with a single one or a
firewire interface? You can get into a FW1814 for about $500 USD.
PTMP is another $300.

Nate
www.natenajar.com
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:09:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"TJ Hertz" <tjhertz@gmail-HOLDTHESPAM.com> wrote:
>
> I'm thinking about a used Digi 001, the Echo Layla or the M-Audio
> FW1814. I'd like to continue to use Logic 5.5 (I'm running an Athlon
> 1800 with 512mb RAM) unless I get the Digi and love Protools LE
> enough to keep using it. Any thoughts regarding audio quality,
> compatibility with software/hardware, driver support etc? What's the
> difference between the Digi 001 and 002, apart from compatibility
> with newer versions of Protools?


With the Digi 001 you're buying into obsolescence. That's not
necessarily a problem, as long as you know what you're getting into.
Potential pitfalls include wanting to update to a newer OS to take
advantage of some new software, and not being able to get drivers for
the 001. That's a "potential" problem though. It will continue to work
as intended as long as you don't try to take the system around it too
far into the future.

As you mentioned, newer versions of Pro Tools don't work with the 001.
Since you plan to use Logic that shouldn't be an issue. The other
difference between the 001 and newer Digi devices is the interface. The
001 uses a PCI card, while the 002 is Firewire. That allows you to use
the 002 with more than one machine (including a laptop), and reduces the
likelihood of hardware conflicts.

The converters in the 002 are a little better than the 001, but I don't
know if there's enough difference to justify the cost in the situation
you described. The 002 is also capable of recording at 96K, but that's
*really* a fluff feature in this case.

The Layla is a great box, but you're back to having a PCI card, and you
can't use Pro Tools even if you want to. You're probably better off
with the 001, so at least you have that option.

I'm not familiar with the M-Audio device you mentioned, so I'll leave
that one alone.

--
"It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Related resources
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 3:20:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

TJ Hertz <tjhertz@gmail-HOLDTHESPAM.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to sell my 8-channel ADAT card and M-Audio Delta 1010 LT in
> favour of a single unit that has 8 analog inputs and 8-channel ADAT optical
> in. Mic preamps would be nice but are not essential. My work isn't high-end
> enough to warrant spending lots of money on expensive converters (my
> 8-channel ADAT in will be coming from a cheapo Behringer 8-channel preamp
> anyway) so fantastic quality isn't the most important thing since I can't
> really afford to go much over £250 or so, but obviously the better sound,
> the better. As I said, price is a strong concern and I'd be looking for a
> used unit.
>
> I'm thinking about a used Digi 001, the Echo Layla or the M-Audio FW1814.
> I'd like to continue to use Logic 5.5 (I'm running an Athlon 1800 with 512mb
> RAM) unless I get the Digi and love Protools LE enough to keep using it. Any
> thoughts regarding audio quality, compatibility with software/hardware,
> driver support etc? What's the difference between the Digi 001 and 002,
> apart from compatibility with newer versions of Protools?

I don't think you really want to change software at the same time you
change hardware. Why complicate the switch and create more questions
of compatibility and configuration if you don't have to? If you like
Logic, then keep using it and buy something compatible (which should be
just about anything, right?) And if you aren't going to run ProTools,
then there's really no reason to buy their hardware, because their
low-end stuff is overpriced IMHO. So the next question is how you want
to connect the interface to your computer. It sounds like you've been
using a PCI card, but I would venture to say that switching over to a
IEEE1394 or USB2 interface will keep your computer upgrade options open
in the future. There's just no reason most computers should continue
to have large chassis, PCI slots, and 450W power supplies in the
future. That's my take on it anyway.
I'd suggest the MOTU 896HD but that's a bit out of your price range.
It does everything you're asking though, and it works quite well.

ulysses
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 11:01:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

The Gina is a great little box an sounds much better than a 001, which
sounds poxy...
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 1:15:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"studiorat" <daveslevin@02.ie> wrote in message
news:1120917690.668004.183170@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> The Gina is a great little box an sounds much better than a 001, which
> sounds poxy...




I agree that the Gina is a decent little device, but I don't think the
001 is as bad as you make it out to be. Nor do I think there's much
improvement over a 001 by going to a Gina. The 001 is not going to win
any converter shootouts, but neither is a Gina.

--
"It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
!