How would I convert a SACD (John Hiatt) to an ipod file?

Last response: in Home Audio
July 7, 2005 7:34:11 PM

How would I convert a SACD (John Hiatt) to an ipod file or burn to a
cd?

Thanks,

John
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:42:47 PM

Use the stereo layer -- if it has one.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 9:46:47 PM

On Jul 7, 2005, jmuirman1@aol.com <jmuirman1@aol.com> commented:

> How would I convert a SACD (John Hiatt) to an ipod file or burn to a
> cd?
>------------------------------snip>------------------------------<

Take the stereo analog output of an SACD player and feed it into your
computer using the soundcard inputs. Record the tracks, one at a time, to
WAV files, then convert the WAV files to whatever format you're using on your
iPod.

There's presently no way to directly rip SACD or DVD-A audio files on a
computer DVD-ROM drive, because the formats have been deliberately
copy-protected.

--MFW
July 7, 2005 11:33:50 PM

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:42:47 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
<williams@nwlink.com> wrote:

>Use the stereo layer -- if it has one.

Or the CD layer -- if it has one.

Kal
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 12:59:48 AM

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:46:47 -0700, Marc Wielage <mfw@musictrax.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 7, 2005, jmuirman1@aol.com <jmuirman1@aol.com> commented:
>
>> How would I convert a SACD (John Hiatt) to an ipod file or burn to a
>> cd?
>>------------------------------snip>------------------------------<
>
>Take the stereo analog output of an SACD player and feed it into your
>computer using the soundcard inputs. Record the tracks, one at a time, to
>WAV files, then convert the WAV files to whatever format you're using on your
>iPod.
>
>There's presently no way to directly rip SACD or DVD-A audio files on a
>computer DVD-ROM drive, because the formats have been deliberately
>copy-protected.

You can get stereo (not MCH) digital from many (most) DVD-As although
usually at no more than 46kHz.

Kal
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 2:21:54 PM

In article <1120775650.996464.79320@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<jmuirman1@aol.com> wrote:
>How would I convert a SACD (John Hiatt) to an ipod file or burn to a
>cd?

How about in realtime via an analogue interface?

There is DSD->PCM conversion stuff out there... Meitner makes an
excellent box. It is very expensive. Since it's going to wind up
as a horribly compressed ipod file anyway, the conversion loss is
the least of your worries.
--scott

July 8, 2005 3:29:04 PM

"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:42:47 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
> <williams@nwlink.com> wrote:

>> Use the stereo layer -- if it has one.
>
> Or the CD layer -- if it has one.

However, the legacy bitrate PCM file (whatever you want to
call it!) may not have the same production values as the DSD
layer.

The better choice is to use the downsampled DSD available at
the digital output (48/16 tain't that bad) or simply
redigitize the analog output with a good quality converter.

iPod's uncompressed (.waf/.aiff) format will exploit just
about any real world recording, while the functional dynamic
range of most of all of the lossy compressed formats are
deficient or marginal.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:10:33 PM

Thanks - this SACD doesn't have the extra CD tracks - just pure SACD.

John
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 7:06:48 PM

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:29:04 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>However, the legacy bitrate PCM file (whatever you want to
>call it!) may not have the same production values as the DSD
>layer.

Mebbe.

>The better choice is to use the downsampled DSD available at
>the digital output (48/16 tain't that bad)

Hmmm. And what players will give this? Aside from the EMMLabs or
specially modified players, I know of none that will give a digital
output from either the stereo or MCH tracks.

>or simply
>redigitize the analog output with a good quality converter.

Sure.

Kal
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 7:42:06 PM

On 8 Jul 2005 12:20:34 -0700, jmuirman1@aol.com wrote:

>Thanks Scott. Will SACDs play on regular cd players?

Only hybrid SACDs (those with an additional Redbook layer) will play
on a regular CD player. The vast majority of SACDs are hybrids but
not all.

Kal
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 9:09:13 PM

Oh, brother... We're back at "the lady who put salt in her coffee" --
ridiculously baroque solutions for trivially simple problems.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 1:22:03 AM

<jmuirman1@aol.com> wrote in message
> Thanks - this SACD doesn't have the extra CD tracks - just pure SACD.
>
> John

If you are talking the John Hiatt SACD, it most certainly does. I'm
listening to the CD layer at the moment.
Anonymous
May 31, 2010 11:11:55 AM

With the iPod files in one's own format there is a need to make convert thoser file in different formats. With using iPod File Converter one can make conversion of files possible immediately. This converter fully allows the converting of video files in desired format. Thus get this converter and have your whole files converted in any file format either avi, mpeg, mpg, wmv etc.
To get more knowledge about the converter you can have from here. http://www.ipodfileconverter.com
:pt1cable:
!