no more drum micing! (perhaps)

Last response: in Home Audio
July 8, 2005 8:10:02 AM

nano technology built in drum micing... might be of interest!

cheers

LuKe

More about : drum micing

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 2:31:22 PM

it's kind of like plugging in an acoustic guitar that has a contact
pickup on the body versus micing it.

remember, microphones (every one of them) is like a camera lens. they
each have a viewpoint and capture perspective.

what that mic will do is capture a whole lot of the shell vibration,
and much less (none?) of the head. there are a zillion other factors
involved. but it's not going to be an "objective truth". no mic is
actually, and this one will be far from it.

but it could sound "cool" and "forceful". for live sound i could
totally see this in a workingman's kind of way. if i was in a wedding
band i'd go that route if it sounded good.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:02:36 PM

In article <1120821002.829192.131150@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> lukenukum@gmail.com writes:

> nano technology built in drum micing... might be of interest!

Nano technology, harrumph! While I don't know that anyone ever
actually did it, one of the suggested applications for the C-Ducer of
the '80's was to attach it to a drum shell in lieu of a microphone.

Doesn't B-Band make acoustic guitar pickups using the same technology?

July 8, 2005 4:02:38 PM

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:51:15 -0700, "My Last Sigh"
<mylastsigh@comcast.net> wrote:

>> Doesn't B-Band make acoustic guitar pickups using the same technology?
>>

>Yes. http://www.b-band.com/index.php

It's strange that a company that has the slogan "Hear the Truth"TM
doesn't have sound clips on their site. (they do have 200k
high-resolution pictures of their product tho)

Maybe I missed them.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:40:27 PM

On 8 Jul 2005 04:10:02 -0700, LuKeNuKuM <lukenukum@gmail.com> wrote:
> nano technology built in drum micing... might be of interest!
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4637203.stm
>
> cheers
>
> LuKe

It's been possible to put an accelerometer on a drumhead for decades.
But it requires an instrumentation-grade imput amplifier, which
generally drive a much higher input impedence than we're used to dealing
with.

Bet I could prototype something using off-the-shelf instrumentation for
a couple thousand a channel . . .

Now . . to keep the drummer from trashing every time he plays.
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 7:17:25 PM

LuKeNuKuM wrote:
> nano technology built in drum micing... might be of interest!
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4637203.stm

"The sound is more natural than that obtained using
microphones."

Bullshit. As if our ear is often placed inside on the rim.
How could anyone imagine that the timbre (spectral
content) there is anything like what is heard by a
microphone in the air external to the drum (which is _much_
closer to what propegates to our ears.)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:38:12 AM

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> but it could sound "cool" and "forceful". for live sound i could
> totally see this in a workingman's kind of way. if i was in a wedding
> band i'd go that route if it sounded good.

And the fact they have no sound clips pretty much tells me that it doesn't.

There's no other explanation that holds water ... unless "the dog chewed
their cassette tape".

Cheers,
Steve W
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:52:51 PM

Odd that they give audio samples of the guitar micings, but none for
the drums. My guess is this stuff could be useful for live sound, but
mostly useless for recording applications.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:17:26 PM

In article <1120924371.144015.233970@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> jonothon77@gmail.com writes:

> Odd that they give audio samples of the guitar micings, but none for
> the drums. My guess is this stuff could be useful for live sound, but
> mostly useless for recording applications.

If this is a brand new application, perhaps they just haven't come around
to recording samples yet.

July 10, 2005 12:08:15 PM

>it's kind of like plugging in an acoustic guitar that has a contact
pickup on the body versus micing it. <

Exactly. I've experimented with contact pickups
(www.pick-uptheworld.com)
on drums especially hand-drums. You get the best sound with BOTH a mic
and the pickup. In many ways the drums with a pickup are sort of like
the difference between an acoustic gutiar and an electric guitar. They
are different instruments and don't replace one another, but both are
useful musically for the right things.

Benj
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:26:13 AM

> If this is a brand new application, perhaps they just haven't come around
> to recording samples yet.

If they're doing their job correctly they'll be recording, analysing and
refining. The fact that they haven't posted any samples suggests, very
strongly IMHO, that the sound they've achieved so far is not good enough to
let punters hear it.

Steve W
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:29:07 AM

LuKeNuKuM wrote:
> nano technology built in drum micing... might be of interest!
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4637203.stm
>
> cheers
>
> LuKe

I don't know about this stuff, but...

I've avoided drum miking for years with those Roland and Yamaha "Pad"
kits! Yes, I know they have a different feel, but they are great for
late night dubbing and the like.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 11:31:43 AM

In article <42d19227$0$6317$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net> steve@sjNOSPAMTAVERYMUCHwhite.plus.com writes:

> If they're doing their job correctly they'll be recording, analysing and
> refining. The fact that they haven't posted any samples suggests, very
> strongly IMHO, that the sound they've achieved so far is not good enough to
> let punters hear it.

Or maybe they think it's so wonderful that everyone should buy it
without hearing what it sounds like. Isn't that the way most people
buy microphones these days (no matter what we tell them about
listening first)? Royer will send you a CD of some recordings made
with their mics, and AKG used to have a "sampler" CD, but can you
hear a Shure SM58 on the Shure web site?