Network Printers

I have a Microsoft MN-500 Wireless Base Station. When I
connect my PCs with Ethernet Category 5 cables to the Base
Station's ports, I have to configure a WEP even though I
do not plan to use these PCs for wireless networking.

I have an HP printer with a JetDirect that connects
directly to the network, not to a computer. On the MN-
500, how do you configure a network printer? The MAC
address of the JetDirect card is recognized by the MN-
500. I cannot configure the WEP security key for the
JetDirect card. Print jobs are spooled, but the MN-500 is
not sending them to the printer. The JetDirect cabled, so
I do not need to access it through wireless.

Any ideas?

Gary
2 answers Last reply
More about network printers

    Since you are not using wireless, you may want to disable
    it to increase security. Go to http://192.168.2.1 and
    uncheck wireless on the wireless page (the wireless light
    on the router should go off).

    Check whether the printer requires a subnet 192.168.1.x
    or 192.168.0.x (notice the 0 and 1). MS equipment is
    working by default on the 192.168.2.x subnet. You can
    change this on the router, under Local Area Network page.

    There is no special configuration for the printer on the
    router; it is seen as another network device. You do need
    to configure the PC. Add a new printer, and select
    Network Printer (do not use the default Local Printer) --
    select the appropriate printer (you may need to install
    printer drivers). Do this on each PC that is to use the
    printer.

    When printing make sure you select the proper printer
    (you may select it as default, or remove other printers
    that may be installed).

    The software has the Base Station at IP address
    192.168.2.1. The DHCP leases IP addresses 192.168.2.2 to
    192.168.2.40. I hard coded the JetDirect card to have the
    static IP address of 192.168.2.2. I can ping the
    JetDirect card. I can telnet to the JetDirect card and
    list the configurations. The test button prints the
    configurations fine to the printer. The MAC address and
    IP address of the JetDirect appear on the Microsoft
    BaseStation Utility.

    When the printer was configured, the test page did not
    print. All documents do not print.

    If I move the JetDirect to my ISDN network, print jobs
    print just fine. I know the cables, printer, and
    JetDirect all work.

    Something in the MN-500 is not allowing the jobs to
    print. For a time being, I even disabled the wireless
    option and still no print outs. What am I doing wrong?

Routers Configuration Microsoft Networking