jusrusnerds

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2003
Hi I got an issue for you gyes to explore. I just got asus p4c800-e delux. I got also from best buy 2 memory sticks pc3500 kingston hyperx khx3500/512r. 512 meg cl2

Ok here is the problem Kingston made 2 versions of the memory. first version running at 2.5 volts appreantly older one without kingston red logo seems to be highly overclocable and very stable. i was able to push it as far as 271mhz without any extras for cooling i am using antec power supply and case.

Second memory is rated at 2.6 volts with red kingston logo head on it is very bad. i could not run it past 219mhz anytthing over and my motherboard seem to loose its bios info and crash at boot. i bout 2 for dual ddr but now only using a single chip for better overclocability.

did anyone else encoutered this Problem with kingston memrrey chips. there is 2 versions of pc3500 floating from kington very good one and pice of crap?

Best buy was out of older verisons of that memory so now i am stuck with single channel for a while.

P.S. i exchanged the 2.6 volt chip 2 times and got the same result. need 2.5 volt now.

qbert

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
I have the same board. I have 1 gig of 2.6 and 2.5 volt pc 3500 kingston hyper X. One is a 1 gig kit (2.6) and the others are seperate 512 sticks (2.5). They perform almost identical. After reading your post I called kingston because I have to return either the 2.6 or 2.5 volt and they told me that the modules labeled as having 2.5 volt are wrong. They said all kingston hyperX memory runs at 2.6 volt. The ones that say 2.5 volt are older and mislabeled. Apparently these were the only labels they had at the time. He was fully aware of the confusion and knew exactly what I was talking about.