mn520 locates network, but not base station

i have a dell desktop running xp with mn 510 working
properly on a mn 500 base station. my brother has a dell
laptop with xp with mn520 that used to work on our
network. recently, i discovered that the 520 finds the
network, but fails to locate the base station. the adapter
always gets a public ip 169.254.***.**(whatever), so i
manually configured it for our own network, 192.168.2.**.
alright, now the desktop, in network utility, under 'other
network devices, i see the laptop with the ip address i
just set. but on the laptop, there is nothing under that
category. can someone explain how to get the laptop to
recognize the router(10 feet away) as well as the wireless
network(which it does find)?
7 answers Last reply
More about mn520 locates network base station

    Dear Andy,

    OK, I'll assume you checked the obvious: (1)The MN-520 is
    configured with the same SSID and WEP key as the desktop
    XP and MN-500 base station, and (2) The Dell's TCP/IP is
    set to "Obtain an IP...".

    The MN-500 will NOT assign a public IP, by default. So,
    if there IS a public IP for the MN-520/Dell it is coming
    from another network or the "Alternative Configuration"
    settings of the Dell's Network connections. The Dell may
    be finding a network...but not necessarily YOUR network.

    My first thought is that there is another active wireless
    network nearby. So, close down all firewalls. Go into the
    MBNU on the desktop, look under "Tools"; "Adapter
    Setting". Then go into the Dell's and do the same. From
    your "Preferred Networks" list remove all networks but
    yours. Check the Connection to it. Are the listing the
    same on both the desktop and the Dell?

    Since the Dell's IP that you set is showing up in the
    MBNU, its getting a lease on the network.

    okay, yes for all on that checklist. under tcp/ip
    settings, "obtain an ip..." is selected and
    under "alternate configuraion", "automatic private" is
    selected. i live in the ghetto type area of town where
    wireless networking in newfangled and unheard of. plus
    there are no other networks listed under "preferred
    networks", just my own under my last name.

    ok, on the inspiron laptop("ryan" on the network)i checked
    the status and clicked the support tab. under internet
    protocol(tcp/ip), "address type: Automatic Private
    address". the ip address is 169.254.***.**(it changes all
    the time). on the dimension desktop, under the same tab,
    it says "address type: Assigned by DHCP". the ip
    address is 192.168.2.18. i think that the problem is that
    the dhcp(enabled on base station) is not giving "ryan" an
    ip address. any more ideas? any more info needed?

    OK. "Ryan" should not be configured for Address type:
    automatic private". "Ryan's" MN-520 should be configured
    for "Address type: DHCP". Under "Adapter Setting", go
    down to the "Configure " button. Click it, and then set
    the correct SSID; select "This network includes a
    router..." and if you use WEP, enter the WEP key.
    Click "OK". When back on the "Adapter Settings" page, go
    up and click "Renew".

    You should get a DHCP assigned (private) IP. The problem
    is with the adapter, not the base station. The adapter
    is not accepting a DHCP assignment from what you've told
    me.

    I think the adapter was set previously to play games in
    an ad hoc network (PC-to-PC) and never reset to be part
    of the infrastructure

    Andy,

    One final thing. Under "Authorization", make sure
    the "enable 802.1x...." is UNCHECKED, as weel as, the
    computer-to-computer ad hoc network box is also UNCHECKED.

    ishu,

    try release and renew the ip address of wireless adapter
    if it show winsock error then it would be tcp/ip stack
    issue

    okay, ken, how would i go about resetting the adapter? i
    have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it several
    times and even tried to set it up the windows way w/o the
    installation cd, but it no work. i have tried before to
    set up an ad-hoc from "ryan" to "desktop", but it didn't
    work then. so is that my problem, and if it is, how do i
    fix it?

    Andy,

    The 169.254.xx.xx IP you see on the laptop is a private,
    automatic IP that Windows assigns the adapter if it
    cannot find a DHCP server on the network. So, the laptop
    is not seeing - or looking for - the DHCP server/base
    station.

    My thinking was it was not looking for the DHCP server
    because one of its network configurations is ad-hoc. This
    seemd to be confirmed by your assigning an IP to the
    adapter and it showing up on the desktop, yet the laptop
    was unable to connect to the base station. All computer-
    to-computer; ad-hoc setups should be disabled. In the
    Wireless Network Settings, there is a tiny box at the
    bottom of the panel, below the WEP key boxes. Make sure
    its uncheck. Hmmm.

    Another possiblility was that an 802.11x authentication
    box is checked in the configuration, so it can't connect
    to the DHCP server. Of course, this should be unchecked.

    Sorry, but try a re-intall of the MN-520. Unplug the MN-
    520 and any other network adapters. Re-boot the laptop.
    Make sure the laptop does not find a network adapter.
    Check your configurations, even remove previous wireless
    connections. Shutdown the laptop. Now, plug in the MN-
    520. Startup the laptop. Insert the Setup CD and run it
    to install a "new" product - the MN-520.

Routers Laptops Networking