Wanted--rubber pinch roller for OTARI MX5050 B3 8 track

Last response: in Home Audio
July 8, 2005 8:03:48 PM

Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)

Any leads would be lovely.
best-
matt
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:15:34 AM

<mattziv@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
>MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)
>
>Any leads would be lovely.

Otari didn't have any?

JRF or Athan can probably get one if you don't want to rebuild an old one.
--scott
July 9, 2005 11:14:32 AM

On 8 Jul 2005 20:15:34 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> <mattziv@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
>>MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)
>>
>>Any leads would be lovely.
>
>Otari didn't have any?
>
>JRF or Athan can probably get one if you don't want to rebuild an old one.
>--scott

How do you rebuild one? Can the average cordless drill owner do it?
Thanks as always.
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 11:58:55 AM

spud <blah blah> wrote:
>On 8 Jul 2005 20:15:34 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>> <mattziv@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
>>>MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)
>>>
>>>Any leads would be lovely.
>>
>>Otari didn't have any?
>>JRF or Athan can probably get one if you don't want to rebuild an old one.
>
>How do you rebuild one? Can the average cordless drill owner do it?

You send them to a company that does rubber rebuilding. Used to be every
city had an outfit that rebuilt typewriter platens and the like, although
now they are getting to be a specialty sort of thing.

Athan will do pinch roller rebuilds. Parts Express will do it as well.
There's also some small midwest company that is listed in the Ampex mailing
list parts suppliers list that does an excellent job. You need to make
sure the bearings are good before you have the rubber replaced, of course,
otherwise you'd just be better off with a brand new one.

The rebuilds are good as long as you make sure they use exactly the same
rubber as the original. Used to be a lot of people would put urethanes
on pinch rollers designed for natural rubber and wind up with higher flutter.
--scott
July 9, 2005 1:54:41 PM

In article <2guuc1t03nj687vfi0absdd1aghcb3j05p@4ax.com> blah writes:

> How do you rebuild one? Can the average cordless drill owner do it?

No, but the average metal lathe owner with a CO2 fire extinguisher
can. There used to be a couple of places that rebuild rollers (most of
their business was with printing press rollers, but the technology is
the same) but I don't know if any of them are still doing it.

July 9, 2005 1:54:42 PM

In article <1120863828.236553.231530@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> mattziv@earthlink.net writes:

> Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
> MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)

http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/index.html?JRF_mainframe=/a...

No, there isn't a cheaper source. (before you look, it costs $100)

July 9, 2005 6:56:01 PM

In article <daoe5v$qna$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com says...
> spud <blah blah> wrote:

> >>Otari didn't have any?
> >>JRF or Athan can probably get one if you don't want to rebuild an old one.
> >
> >How do you rebuild one? Can the average cordless drill owner do it?
>
> You send them to a company that does rubber rebuilding. Used to be every
> city had an outfit that rebuilt typewriter platens and the like, although
> now they are getting to be a specialty sort of thing.
>
> Athan will do pinch roller rebuilds. Parts Express will do it as well.
> There's also some small midwest company that is listed in the Ampex mailing
> list parts suppliers list that does an excellent job. You need to make
> sure the bearings are good before you have the rubber replaced, of course,
> otherwise you'd just be better off with a brand new one.
>
> The rebuilds are good as long as you make sure they use exactly the same
> rubber as the original. Used to be a lot of people would put urethanes
> on pinch rollers designed for natural rubber and wind up with higher flutter.
> --scott

Try this guy:

http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/

Pip pip
--
Chris Notton
Replace "nospam" with my surname to reply by email

In article <znr1120905065k@trad>, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

> In article <2guuc1t03nj687vfi0absdd1aghcb3j05p@4ax.com> blah writes:
>
> > How do you rebuild one? Can the average cordless drill owner do it?
>
> No, but the average metal lathe owner with a CO2 fire extinguisher
> can.

Hey, I've got a lathe, and I could easily pick up a fire
extinguisher...don't like to think I qualify as "average" however...

You've piqued my curiosity....please tell me more!

Jeff C.

--
Anti-Spam email address in effect.
My real email should be pretty obvious to an actual human being.

<mattziv@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Im in need of a nice or new rubber pinch roller for this deck. (Otari
> MX-5050 BIII 8 track 1/2 inch)

I bought a new urethane pinch roller for mine from athan a few years
ago. looks like they still have them for $85. http://www.athan.com/