small, yet there are a few options . . .

Krazy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
I want to get a portable storage device, as CD's are slowly fading out, but DVDs still take to long to burn, so i was looking at either a memory stick (512MB, or 1GB) or a protable Hard Drive like the small ones just recently reviewed here.

which, in terms of price, speed of copying and transfering, and overall effectiveness would be the best to get, or are there other options to go for? Or are CD-R or CD-RW still the way to go?

thanks

<font color=red>If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
CDs offer low cost. You chould buy maybe 100CD-RW disk for the price of 1 1GB memory stick. That's over 50x the capacity for your money.

Or you could get a 100+GB hard drive and make it portable. This would be faster, costing far less than 100GB of memory sticks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Krazy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
lol i didn't intend to mean that i wanted 100GB of storage in memory sticks, i was just wanting the quickest and most cost effective way of transfering, say a game demo, Service Pack, or a few small apps from one PC to the other.

If overall, a portable hard drive is the best for speed and money (even though it may come with 60GB's of storage) then so be it.

Though i'm thinking a 512MB memory stick will probably be the best, it'll fit most things on there, and will have good compatibility and transfering speeds from one PC to the other and also has less hassels than burning a CD. well so i think :)

Though your point about buying "100CD-RW disk for the price of 1 1GB memory stick" is something to think about.

svol

Champion
Don't forget that the transfer speed of most USB keys is pretty low... a couple of Mb/s is normal. Unless you get an USB 2.0 key... but at old USB 1.1 PCs those will run slow.

But the same goes for external USB HDs.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, when large amounts of storage (say 512MB) are involved, CDRW can be faster. With small amounts, memory sticks can be faster because you don't have to wait for them to write the leadin and leadout.

For portability, memory sticks are best. For economy, CDRW are best. For speed/capacity, hard drives are best.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
If your just transfering bits and pieces then a CDRW is your best bet.

Good capacity, reusable, reasonably fast and Dirt cheap...both for a CDRW drive and the media itself.

If you are taking documents too and from work and plan on doing lots of saves then a flash memory stick is probably the better option.
Capacity costs though.

<b>Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if you are looking into buying an external hard drive, be aware the ones that run off the usb power are very slow and in my expierience very unreliable. the ones with external power sources are better but you have to carry a ac-dc adaptor

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

Krazy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
thank you very much all for you responses, i now have a pretty good Idea of what to do :) (looks like a few CD-RW will be heading my way, along with a portable Hard Drive for backup purposes :-D)

thanks again

cya