Using Windows 'backup and restore' to...restore some files??

I'd have thought this would be an intuitive process, but it doesn't seem so. I have an old HD that I used to use for backups in a different PC setup, and though I deleted those backups when I moved on to a different HD, the backups were recoverable using Pandora and I believe intact since I never used the drive in question after that time. So specifically, I now have a folder called "Backup Set 2011-02-13 190024" that contains a 84 zipped folders worth 13.1GB that comprise that backup, and I want to restore them in some automatic fashion to see what's actually worth salvaging. (I assume this doesn't have to be done one-folder-at-a-time, drilling down through five layers of branches in the folder-tree, and almost immediately forgetting where I am...) But when I look at "Backup and Restore," I can't bring up this or any target folders - the link "Select another backup to restore files from" produces a blank set of choices, and there doesn't appear to be any way to 'load' a particular folder to restore, as I would have expected. What am I missing?
4 answers Last reply
More about using windows backup restore restore files
  1. Install WinZip (for example), and extract all files into the same folder. This will rebuild your original drive under that folder.
  2. Hmmm...I just gave that a couple of tries with unencouraging results.
    trial 1: folder 11 (only) extracted. I figured I must have accidentally selected only that folder.
    trial 2: folders 34 through 41 plus "USERS" extracted from somewhere. All the numbered folders are empty. Drilling down four or so levels into the USERS folder, I find it has only some gmail backups that are not of interest.

Anticipating the next question, yes, the zipped folders 34-41 have about 200MB each that isn't getting extracted. And regardless, I don't want to end up with 84 folders with random recovered items in them for me to try to piece together, so I still am thinking/looking for a "restore"-related way to re-create the original folder structure.
  3. No solution yet, in case anyone wants to offer another suggestion. Extracting all of those folders hasn't worked in several tries - leaves me with irregular smattering of recovered files, all buried deep within other empty folders, so it would take me forever to make sense of the 86 backup folders I have to work with.
  4. Windows 7 can't open XP created backup files, is that what you are using?

You said you deleted these files then restored them using a file recovery program. That can easily corrupt files. The backup program may be able to read the index of the files, but not the actual files.
Ask a new question

Read More

Backup HD Windows 7