Expanded Memory

Hi,

I have just bought a game i used to play a few years ago,
but my computer wont run it as it says i dont have enough
expanded memory. My computer tells me i have no expanded
memory running at all and i need to find out how to enable
this.

I need to know where i need to go in my system and what i
need to change, as it wont let me do this through
properties in DOS. I think i am using a Windows 98 system,
and the CPU speed should have no trouble running a fairly
simple game.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
phil

Are you atempting to run a DOS application?

If the application was written for DOS, are you atempting to run the
application within Windows 98 (a DOS virtual machine) or in DOS mode? I
usually try to rule out any posibility of running an application in a
virtual machine before subjecting myself to the slow process of entering
and returning from DOS mode. A lot of late model printers, modems and
game controlers woun't work in DOS mode either. Availability of these
peripherals in virtual mode may vary with the way the application is coded.

In a DOS window type "MEM" and report back with the results. Expanded
memory will be reported as Total and Free Expanded (EMS) in two lines
about two thirds of the way down the report if any is configured to be
available in your Windows installation. There is a file that Windows 98
can run at startup that allows the Extended Memory (XMS) required by
Windows 98 to be shared with DOS applications that require Expanded
Memory (EMS). Some games only require a small amount of EMS (by today's
standards) for sound wave form or graphic texture buffers.

I haven't experimented with expanded memory use in the Windows XP
command prompt, so I don't know if the any of the same tricks are
possible there. The mem command prompt seems to be producing
significantly different reports.

If you name the application there might be someone reading this
newsgroup/forum that has already solved the problem.