M audio under Linux with MM kernel under mandrake - sound ..

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
July 12, 2005 6:26:09 PM

Hi,

I am using mandrake 10.2 with ALSA and M-audio card. Without Multi
Media -kernel mp3, wav's etc did not play well but with MM kernel these
files play fine. When i try and run some C-programs to test latency in
loopback configuration, the program just hangs... and i have no clue!!
i can send the C - programs if you need.

Also with both kernels .... when the system starts there is a error
message that sound server crashed. I have installed JACK recently.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:25:15 PM

jay wrote:

> I am using mandrake 10.2 with ALSA and M-audio card. Without Multi
> Media -kernel mp3, wav's etc did not play well but with MM kernel these
> files play fine. When i try and run some C-programs to test latency in
> loopback configuration, the program just hangs... and i have no clue!!

This is very likely a question better suited to one of the Linux
specific newsgroups (I would try comp.os.linux.hardware first). I'd
like to try and help, as I do also use Linux, but a different
distribution with different hardware, so I'm afraid I would be of very
limited value. There don't seem to be many fellow Linux users on
rec.audio.pro, so I would certainly recommend you try the
comp.os.linux.* groups for help with this problem.

I hope that helps ...

Major in Electroacoustic Studies Concordia University
Faculty of Fine Arts / Music Department Montreal, Quebec, Canada
July 15, 2005 3:14:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:54:14 -0700, jay wrote:

> Thanks for the reply guys, i am working as an intern at a premier
> research institue and my job is to test sound cards on linux, and most
> of them perform excellent with windows, the bigger idea is to make
> drivers for cards that do not have linux support, of course i am just
> an intern so i am just testing right now, thanks for your replies
> anyways. Any further help will be great, thanks

Your best bet would be to get the hardware companies to write drivers for
Linux but I'll be honest that you are fighting an uphill battle.
The Linux market is just not lucrative enough for most hardware companies
to invest the time and money in drivers for their products.
If you look at digital audio, there are enough programs for Windows and
Macintosh to more than fill the market.
We want to make music, and money. We are not interested in fiddling with
yet another operating system like Linux. Beos made all kinds of promises
and died b4 it even got started.
I start up my Samplitude 8 based system along with Sonar 4 and Sony
Soundforge and I am happy. I could care less what operating system it is
running under because it all works flawlessly. The last time I tried
Linux, on my laptop, (Suse 9.3) it was a horror story. Virtually nothing
worked after the install and I finally got so sick and tired of using
Google to dig up information that I gave up.
And if that wasn't enough, Linux seemed so slow it was pitiful.
That was more than enough for me and I tossed the CDs with the feeling
that maybe some day, something might change with Linux, but for now, it's
all Windows for me and Apple for others.

Linux has a lot of mature competition in the the DAW field and quite
frankly if what I have seen (Ardour/Audacity/Jack) is the direction Linux
is headed in, Linux is dead meat and I would start looking for a better
internship if I were you.
Just my opinion.
SO
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 12:34:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.sys.mac.advocacy (More info?)

In article <1121392454.679153.63530@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jjtanwar@gmail.com says...
> Thanks for the reply guys, i am working as an intern at a premier
> research institue and my job is to test sound cards on linux,

Jay,

If you're not familiar with Fervent Software, you really need to make
friends with this company, have your research institute buy a copy of Studio
to Go!, - they have done extensive research with sound cards and Linux.

Not a lot of love for discussion <g> etc. at rec.audio.pro for Linux, but I
think there is real potential for "students" interested in using an
integrated set of Linux based audio programs in an install that has a proven
track record, coupled, of course, with a suitable sound card that has the
potential of bringing "students" in at a price point that currently can not
be matched with any other OS (let the experts debate whether Linux is audio
viable - let the students enjoy some productive tools at minimal cost! <g>)

David

Studio to Go!
http://www.ferventsoftware.com/

Found this while doing some research on this subject

Bascially, a commercial linux install (or run from CD) with a lot of the
linux audio software programs that has been mentioned. (Also, there are
similar non-commercial linux projects such as the AGNULA project -
http://www.agnula.org/ - refer to this Sound On Sound article for an
overview of the AGNULA project - http://tinyurl.com/akklh, also SOS article
on Studio to Go! - http://tinyurl.com/9zw7m)

"Studio..to go! is a complete music production environment on a single CD.
What's truly remarkable is you don't have to install any software before you
start using it!

Put the CD in the drive, reboot your computer and get dropped into a
complete music production environment including sequencer, MIDI and Audio
editors, scoring support, soft synths, drum machines, CD ripping and burning
and mastering software. You can use your existing VST plugins and VST
instruments and any Soundfonts with the Studio..to go! software immediately.
When you're done recording you can save your compositions to a USB key and
take them and your software away with you to use on another computer!"

Current pricing: GBP 49.99 (USD 90.85) OR GBP 64.99 (USD 118.11) with 128 MB
USB Memory Stick

System Hardware Requirements

Processor Type: Intel/AMD 32-bit or AMD64 in 32-bit mode

Processor Speed: 800MHz minimum; 1.2GHz recommended
RAM: 256MB minimum; 512MB recommended

Hard Disk: None to run from CD.
Minimum 2GB if you wish to install the system to hard disk.

Hardware Supported URL
http://tinyurl.com/dguys

Bundled Software

Sequencing and Scoring

* Rosegarden MUSIC 1.0.1 (Fervent version) - Audio and MIDI sequencer and
score editor.
* LilyPond 2.2.6 - Advanced score typesetting for creating beautiful
notation output.

Infrastructure

* Linux 2.6.9 kernel with additional low-latency patches and Realtime LSM
* ALSA Sound Drivers 1.0.8
* JACK Audio infrastructure 0.99.24
* KDE 3.3.1

Audio and MIDI Controls

* Mixers: QAMix 0.0.7, HDSPMixer 1.6, envy24control 0.5.0
* QJackCtl 0.2.12
* Vkeybd

Audio Recording and Editing

* Audacity 1.2.2 (Fervent build with JACK support)
* Rezound 0.10.0beta
* Sweep 0.8.1 (plus jackasyn for JACK support)
* Ardour 0.9beta19
* JAMin 0.9.0
* JACK Time Machine 0.2.5

CD and Media Utilities

* K3b 0.11.16
* KAudioCreator 1.10
* XMMS 1.2.10 plus JACK output plugin

Effects

* Creox 0.2.2rc2
* JACK Rack 1.4.3
* FreqTweak 0.6.1
* QMidiArp 0.0.2

Synths

* FluidSynth-DSSI from DSSI 0.9 with FluidSynth 1.0.4
* QSynth 0.2.1
* TiMidity++ 2.13.2 with freepats 20040611
* Hydrogen 0.9.0 including 11 additional drumkits
* Hexter DX7 Modeling Synth 0.5.7
* Aeolus 0.2.1 (Fervent build)
* ALSA Modular Synth 1.8.6 (Fervent build)
* ZynAddSubFX 1.4.3

Meters

* Meterbridge 0.9.2

Native plugins

* CAPS, TAP, SWH, CMT, REV, PVOC, BLOP LADSPA plugin sets
* 298 LADSPA plugins total, all categorised.
* Hexter, FluidSynth, XSynth and mono and stereo sampler DSSI plugins.

VST plugins Elogoxa CosmoGirl2K; NovaKill FEARkILLER; DestroyFX Geometer,
Scrubby, Skidder, Transverb. VSTs are supported as plugins in Rosegarden,
and as standalone applications anywhere in the JACK processing graph.

Also included are web browser, email client, PDF viewer and other software
including internet/network connection software.

David

--
From David Troxell - Product Scope 32 PRO - Encourager Software
Email - mailto:C3P_Remove_@_Me_encouragersoftware.com