Audio Technica AT4060

Last response: in Home Audio
July 12, 2005 7:46:42 PM

I'm looking at purchasing a tube microphone. I like AT's stuff in the 40 series and was wondering
about how this mic stacked up.

Is it a true "tube" mic? (Seems to be)
Does it run proper voltage for the tube?
What are it's flaws (why would I consider passing and buying something else?)

And a second question about the Rode Tube Classic II:

How does this mic stack up? The good and the bad, please.

Tube mics are uncharted territory for me, even though I've been recording and producing for many
years, they've always been out of my ability to purchase (rental wasn't an option either). Now I am
looking at a serious purchase because people are beginning to request the use of a tube mic for
vocals and a few other applications (acoustically speaking).

Thanks in advance.

--fletch

More about : audio technica at4060

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:49:32 PM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:46:42 -0400, Fletch wrote
(in article <db1h8i$knv$1@news1nwk.SFbay.Sun.COM>):

> I'm looking at purchasing a tube microphone. I like AT's stuff in the 40
> series and was wondering
> about how this mic stacked up.
>
> Is it a true "tube" mic? (Seems to be)
> Does it run proper voltage for the tube?
> What are it's flaws (why would I consider passing and buying something else?)
>
> And a second question about the Rode Tube Classic II:
>
> How does this mic stack up? The good and the bad, please.
>
> Tube mics are uncharted territory for me, even though I've been recording and

> producing for many
> years, they've always been out of my ability to purchase (rental wasn't an
> option either). Now I am
> looking at a serious purchase because people are beginning to request the use

> of a tube mic for
> vocals and a few other applications (acoustically speaking).
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --fletch

Per usual, I have a review of it in my archive.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
July 14, 2005 6:00:46 AM

Ty Ford wrote:

> Per usual, I have a review of it in my archive.
>
> Ty Ford

Ty, just so you know, it took me two visits and too much time to find
this review on your site....I've seen you mention it a lot but never
provide a link...in the future I'm sure others would appreciate some
directions to the review, or better yet, a link. Anyhow, now that I
finally found it, great review! Thanks!

Just one thing, I've been drooling over this mic for about a year now.
But when I check out the frequency response graph, I notice it starts to
sharply drop off at about 11k, and it has an extra little bump around
6k. I've had a lot of trouble with that frequency in particular causing
a harsh nasally sound in a lot of recordings, especially vocals....I
notice the 4050 is less flat but still has this same bump at 6k....in
fact all the mics in the 40 line seem to have a bump right around
6-7k....what's up with that?

Jonny Durango
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:26:07 PM

Jonny Durango wrote:
> Ty Ford wrote:
>

>> Per usual, I have a review of it in my archive.
>>
>> Ty Ford
>>

> Ty, just so you know, it took me two visits and too much time to find
> this review on your site....I've seen you mention it a lot but never
> provide a link...in the future I'm sure others would appreciate some
> directions to the review, or better yet, a link. Anyhow, now that I
> finally found it, great review! Thanks!
>
> Just one thing, I've been drooling over this mic for about a year now.
> But when I check out the frequency response graph, I notice it starts to
> sharply drop off at about 11k, and it has an extra little bump around
> 6k. I've had a lot of trouble with that frequency in particular causing
> a harsh nasally sound in a lot of recordings, especially vocals....I
> notice the 4050 is less flat but still has this same bump at 6k....in
> fact all the mics in the 40 line seem to have a bump right around
> 6-7k....what's up with that?
>
> Jonny Durango

Wow. I've never had any trouble finding all the reviews. A little
effort? Or maybe you think Ty is charging too much? ;)
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:57:25 PM

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:00:46 -0400, Jonny Durango wrote
(in article <D5udneRqnpjRtEvfRVn-qg@comcast.com>):

> Ty Ford wrote:
>

>> Per usual, I have a review of it in my archive.
>>
>> Ty Ford
>>

> Ty, just so you know, it took me two visits and too much time to find
> this review on your site....I've seen you mention it a lot but never
> provide a link...in the future I'm sure others would appreciate some
> directions to the review, or better yet, a link. Anyhow, now that I
> finally found it, great review! Thanks!

The URL would wrap around the earth, unfortunately.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/65/w....
2.1.2.26.27.97.3.35.0.1.1.1?user=tyreeford&fpath=Reviews%20&%20Articles:Mic_Re
views&templatefn=FileSharing5.html

or,

1. go to www.tyford.com
2. click on online archive.
3. click on mic reviews and articles
4. click on mic reviews

> Just one thing, I've been drooling over this mic for about a year now.
> But when I check out the frequency response graph, I notice it starts to
> sharply drop off at about 11k, and it has an extra little bump around
> 6k. I've had a lot of trouble with that frequency in particular causing
> a harsh nasally sound in a lot of recordings, especially vocals....I
> notice the 4050 is less flat but still has this same bump at 6k....in
> fact all the mics in the 40 line seem to have a bump right around
> 6-7k....what's up with that?
>
> Jonny Durango

A lot of condenser mics have that bump. Sometimes it's a spike, sometimes a
plateau. The spikes are most noticeable in an irritating sort of way, like
overuse of an aphex aural exciter.

OTOH, the plateau of the U 87 is part of its success. I think the plateau is
about + 3dB and fairly broad. The +5 dB spike on the Rode NTK is more narrow
and more problematic.

The reason it's there at all?

1. A byproduct of the acoustics (standing waves and other phenomena) inside a
headgrille.

2. So the mics will sound brighter, because people will often incorrectly
choose a brighter mic when doing AB comparisons.

3. Because the manufacturer doesn't have a clue as to how to get rid of it
without screwing up something else. (Mic design is not trivial.)

In analog tape days, HF loss happened the moment you put the signal on tape.
the extra HF of the mics was rounded off over time.

With digital recording, the peaks are what they are. I've seen some awareness
of this on the part of mic makers over the last 3 years. Awareness that's
resulted in mics without so much of a peak.

Sometimes bad things happen to good mics. The esteemed Sennheiser 421 had a
bit of a peak at 5k. The 421 II has a +5 peak. That makes me (and many
others) sound overly sibilant. Adds a nice crack to a snare, though.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 10:09:24 PM

In article <Rt-dnZLdOuH4FkvfRVn-hQ@comcast.com> tyreeford@comcast.net writes:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:00:46 -0400, Jonny Durango wrote
> (in article <D5udneRqnpjRtEvfRVn-qg@comcast.com>):
>
> > Ty Ford wrote:
> >

> >> Per usual, I have a review of it in my archive.
> >>
> >> Ty Ford
> >>

> > Ty, just so you know, it took me two visits and too much time to find
> > this review on your site....

> The URL would wrap around the earth, unfortunately.

This one won't: http://tinyurl.com/ckrgh

http://tinyurl.com should be in the FAQ for this newsgroup since people are always posting links that can't be clicked on because of text wrap. There's a similar one called something like makeshorterlink.com, but don't quote me on that.

July 14, 2005 10:21:41 PM

This bump is in the articulation zone and helps make lyrics
comprehensible, especially if your a mumble mouthed singer like me.

!