Going Wireless with just 1 computer

I have a single laptop (running XP) that is currently
connected to a DSL Modem via an integrated ethernet
adapter. It has an integrated HP WLAN 54g W450 Network
Adapter

I have just purchased the MN-700 Wireless Basestation
with the expectation that I can connect to the DSL Modem
wirelessly instead of through the ethernet port.

I configured the MN-700 according to the instruction with
the Ethernet cable connected between the laptop and the
Basestation.

But instructions are written as if at least 1 computer
must be connected via the Ethernet adapter to the
basestation.

I would like to have just one computer and only-one
computer connected to the basestation via the wireless
network.

Is this possible with the MN-700 or have I wasted $50
bucks?

Note: I enabled my wireless adapter and can verify that
there is a signal between my computer and the base
station, but cannot log into my internet connection.

Thanks,

joker

You want to use the wired connection for the configuration of the
router. After you have established the Internet connection & performed
an upgrade to the firmware you are all set to go wireless.