Question on very long mic cable

Last response: in Home Audio
July 13, 2005 11:30:27 AM

I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my upstairs bathroom
to record acoustic guitar, probably with a dynamic omni mic. Is there any
special precaution I should take to make this long run decently? (This is a
*home* recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification that
would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I am guessing...)
Thanks
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:36:20 PM

My Last Sigh wrote:
> I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my upstairs bathroom
> to record acoustic guitar, probably with a dynamic omni mic. Is there any
> special precaution I should take to make this long run decently? (This is a
> *home* recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification that
> would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I am guessing...)
> Thanks

Should not be an issue, 80 feet is nothing for a microphone cable. What
are you plugging into? Mixing board, separate pre amp?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:37:02 PM

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> My Last Sigh wrote:
> > I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my upstairs
bathroom
> > to record acoustic guitar, probably with a dynamic omni mic. Is there
any
> > special precaution I should take to make this long run decently? (This
is a
> > *home* recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification
that
> > would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I am guessing...)
> > Thanks
> >

> Should not be an issue, 80 feet is nothing for a microphone cable. What
> are you plugging into? Mixing board, separate pre amp?

I'd be more concerned with the acoustics in his bathroom.
July 13, 2005 2:37:03 PM

David Grant wrote:

> I'd be more concerned with the acoustics in his bathroom.

Good point. Especially with the omni microphone. You will get lots of
room sound in there.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:43:58 PM

My Last Sigh <mylastsigh@comcast.net> wrote:
>I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my upstairs bathroom
>to record acoustic guitar, probably with a dynamic omni mic. Is there any
>special precaution I should take to make this long run decently? (This is a
>*home* recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification that
>would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I am guessing...)

80 feet is a short cable. Any cable will be fine, although I am
personally partial to the Canare star-quad stuff because it is
very flexible, very rugged, and has good noise rejection.

When you start running two or three thousand feet at a pop, then
you have to start worrying about special cables and total cable
capacitance. 80 feet is minimal.
--scott
July 13, 2005 2:45:31 PM

David Grant <NO_SPAM_PLEASE_jmd_2003@msn.com> wrote:

>I'd be more concerned with the acoustics in his bathroom.

There is no better way to record bongos. Performer in the bathroom,
omni mike right outside the door. Sounds... well... it sounds like
the bongos are in the bathroom. Okay, maybe there _is_ a better
way to record bongos...
--scott
July 13, 2005 3:19:57 PM

"My Last Sigh" <mylastsigh@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o aSdnZjtW53ouEjfRVn-ow@comcast.com

> I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my
> upstairs bathroom to record acoustic guitar, probably with
> dynamic omni mic. Is there any special precaution I
should
> take to make this long run decently? (This is a *home*
> recording.)

80 feet isn't a long mic cable. I do just about everything
at church through 3 150 foot snakes with 20 foot mic cables
plugged into most of the head end boxes.

> Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification
> that would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I
am
> guessing...)

(1) Two (2) seperately insulated tinned or bare copper
conductors, 24 gauge or thicker (i.e., smaller gauge number)
20 or 22 gauge is better.

(2) 1 overall metallic shield - copper braid if considerable
flexing is anticipated, aluminum foil with a tinned copper
drain wire is OK if the installation is fixed in place.

(3) Rubber or vinyl over-all insulation, rubber if the cable
will be abused, vinyl OK for light duty.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:57:43 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> My Last Sigh <mylastsigh@comcast.net> wrote:
> >I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my upstairs bathroom
> >to record acoustic guitar, probably with a dynamic omni mic. Is there any
> >special precaution I should take to make this long run decently? (This is a
> >*home* recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification that
> >would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I am guessing...)
>
> 80 feet is a short cable. Any cable will be fine, although I am
> personally partial to the Canare star-quad stuff because it is
> very flexible, very rugged, and has good noise rejection.
>
> When you start running two or three thousand feet at a pop, then
> you have to start worrying about special cables and total cable
> capacitance. 80 feet is minimal.
> --scott

This is with a balanced microphone cable. ( three pin XLR
connector) With an unbalanced microphone cable ( usually a
1/4 inch plug) this is too far.

--Dale
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:57:44 PM

"Dale Farmer" <dale@cybercom.net> wrote in message
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> My Last Sigh <mylastsigh@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to
my
>>> upstairs bathroom to record acoustic guitar, probably
with a
>>> dynamic omni mic. Is there any special precaution I
should
>>> take to make this long run decently? (This is a *home*
>>> recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a
>>> specification that would be appropriate for a long run
>>> (about 80 feet I am guessing...)
>>
>> 80 feet is a short cable. Any cable will be fine,
although I
>> am personally partial to the Canare star-quad stuff
because
>> it is very flexible, very rugged, and has good noise
>> rejection.
>>
>> When you start running two or three thousand feet at a
pop,
>> then you have to start worrying about special cables and
>> total cable capacitance. 80 feet is minimal.
>> --scott
>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
>
> This is with a balanced microphone cable. ( three pin
XLR
> connector) With an unbalanced microphone cable ( usually
> 1/4 inch plug) this is too far.

The difference being essentially the microphone, not the
cable.

Microphones fitted for use with balanced cables have low
output impedances and voltages while microphones fitter for
use with unbalanced cables have high output impedances and
voltages.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:34:01 PM

I am using the bathroom for it's obvious sound reflection off the tile and
tub (go strum a chord in the shower and you will hear what I am talking
about.) An omni to pick up all this reflection. Sounds great to my ears...

This goes into a mic-pre. I guess I just need any good XLR balanced cable
into a balanced inbput. Fine, thanks.

"My Last Sigh" <mylastsigh@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o aSdnZjtW53ouEjfRVn-ow@comcast.com...
>I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my upstairs bathroom
>to record acoustic guitar, probably with a dynamic omni mic. Is there any
>special precaution I should take to make this long run decently? (This is a
>*home* recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification that
>would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I am guessing...)
> Thanks

Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:33:26 PM

"My Last Sigh" <mylastsigh@comcast.net> wrote
> I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my upstairs
bathroom
> to record acoustic guitar, probably with a dynamic omni mic. Is there any
> special precaution I should take to make this long run decently? (This is
> *home* recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification that
> would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I am guessing...)
> Thanks

Just make sure that you are using a balanced microphone cable.

Anthony Gosnell
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 1:47:27 AM

In article <42D53AC9.2EB10464@cybercom.net> dale@cybercom.net writes:

> > When you start running two or three thousand feet at a pop, then
> > you have to start worrying about special cables and total cable
> > capacitance. 80 feet is minimal.

> This is with a balanced microphone cable. ( three pin XLR
> connector) With an unbalanced microphone cable ( usually a
> 1/4 inch plug) this is too far.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the EM fields around the cable. If
there's a problem, it will be with hum or other EMI-induced noise. You
don't have any more cable capacitance with a single conductor shielded
cable. If it's a high impedance mic (not recommended, in general,
under any circumstances) then there may be a problem due to cable
capacitance loading, but hopefully we're not talking about that
situation. But on r.a.p, one never knows until we're told.

July 14, 2005 1:47:28 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> If it's a high impedance mic (not recommended, in general,
> under any circumstances) then there may be a problem due to cable
> capacitance loading, but hopefully we're not talking about that
> situation. But on r.a.p, one never knows until we're told.

For that case, why not put the balancing transformer right on the
microphone and run the balanced, low impedance cable to the board?
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:11:51 AM

No... make sure you are using a balanced cable into a balanced input - a
'balanced' cable into an unbalanced (PC soundcard etc.) input is in fact
just an unbalanced cable.... ;-)

Guy

> Just make sure that you are using a balanced microphone cable.
>
> Anthony Gosnell
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 3:41:39 AM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:45:31 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> There is no better way to record bongos. Performer in the bathroom, omni
> mike right outside the door. Sounds... well... it sounds like the bongos
> are in the bathroom. Okay, maybe there _is_ a better way to record
> bongos...

635a in the bathroom with the bongos.

Sounds... well... it sounds like the mic's in the bathroom with the bongos.
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 4:08:21 AM

My Last Sigh wrote:

> I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my upstairs bathroom
> to record acoustic guitar, probably with a dynamic omni mic. Is there any
> special precaution I should take to make this long run decently? (This is a
> *home* recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification that
> would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I am guessing...)
> Thanks

No problem. I used to run a 60 metre multicore with probably 10 metres of mic
cable plugged into it.

Graham
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 11:51:17 AM

Agent 86 wrote:
> 635a in the bathroom with the bongos.

And Colonel Mustard in the library with the lead pipe?
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:07:42 PM

My Last Sigh <mylastsigh@comcast.net> wrote:

> (go strum a chord in the shower and you will hear what I am talking about.)

Yes, but make sure - and this is important now - that you turn off the
faucet BEFORE you plug in your amp.

ulysses
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 5:52:24 PM

In article <3jm1veFqet5hU1@individual.net> crabcakes@emagic.net writes:

> > If it's a high impedance mic (not recommended, in general,
> > under any circumstances) then there may be a problem due to cable
> > capacitance loading

> For that case, why not put the balancing transformer right on the
> microphone and run the balanced, low impedance cable to the board?

For that case, I'd recommend flushing the mic down the toilet and
getting a better one. I realize that there are applications for high
impedance mics such as the ones that people plug into guitar
amplifiers and use with a harmonica, or high impedance pickups on
instruments. But until the original poster gets the idea that we're
making up problems that he doesn't have and tells us what he's
actually using, this thread will continue on the wrong track for a
while.

July 14, 2005 7:05:36 PM

My Last Sigh wrote:
> I want to run a mic cable from my downstairs studio to my upstairs bathroom
> to record acoustic guitar, probably with a dynamic omni mic. Is there any
> special precaution I should take to make this long run decently? (This is a
> *home* recording.) Any suggestions on a mic cable or a specification that
> would be appropriate for a long run (about 80 feet I am guessing...)
> Thanks

80 feet = not much for a lowZ mic, cord & input.

I run a 20 foot highZ guitar cable from my A/E guitar onstage to a
passive/non-powered DI, then from that a 50 foot mic cable to the stage
snake and that's _another_ 100 feet to the board. I do the same thing
for my A/E mandolin on another channel. Comes through clear as a bell
for both channels. Other posts about having a good heavy shield are good
ideas for longer runs. 80 feet isn't really that long for a mic or DI.
80 feet of guitar cable is a _very_ long cable - about 4 times what you
should ever consider.

Try to make sure nobody runs water anywhere in the house during
recording - this includes toilets in other bathrooms and the outdoor
faucets. Water pipes are notorious for transmitting the sound of running
water to any room with pipes in them - even through insulated walls.
It'll turn up in your recording as a whining noise. How I know this
should be fairly obvious. ;)

Cheers,
- JJ
http://theVIBErocks.com