frozentax

Distinguished
May 8, 2003
I just purchased an IBM Deskstar, 180GB. My motherboard/BIOS reads it as 185GB, but when I load up a copy of Win2k w/ SP4 integerated to install, it wants to partition the drive as 131GB or so (NTFS). So, there's a jumper setting on my drive to change it from 16 heads to 15, but I dont know if that'd do anything.. Would a program like Partition Magic allow me to make a NTFS partition that's closer to 180GB? Or maybe even something in the BIOS (change drive access to CHS, LBA, Large)?

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think NTFS has a capacity limit for one partition. Have you considered using 2 partitions? Partition magic MAY be able to expand your single partition otherwise. I doubt it's a BIOS problem from what you said.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
i had a similar problem with a seagate 160 gb hard drive and win2000 sp4. if partition magic doesnt work, you may want to check to see if 48 bit LBA support is enabled in the operating system <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098" target="_new">link to MS article</A>. after i edited the registry, disk manager saw the drive as the proper size, but i was only able to format the entire drive as NTFS, it wouldnt let me format it all as fat32.

frozentax

Distinguished
May 8, 2003
Thanks all for the replies.

Seems what I have to do is install Win2k, making a partition less than or equal to 137gb, then after loading SP4 and enabling 48bit LBA addressing in the registry, creating another partition to use up all the space.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
By default, W2k (and XP) only allows you to format 32GB max as FAT32.
If you want to create FAT32 volume bigger than 32GB, use FDisk (from Win98 or ME) or third party software such as Partition Magic.
:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
yea thats my bad, i misread the original post. my problem was with a second hard drive on the computer, frozentax's problem is on his primary drive. my system drive was a 36gb wd raptor, which i had to use partition magic after the install in order to get past the 32gb fat32 limitation. after i did that, i enabled the 48bit LBA so that i could make one partition out of the entire 160gb of the second hard drive.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by boilermaker on 08/01/03 11:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>