We have a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows 7. Over the past two months or so, we have noticed that it will not shut down - the screen goes black (like it should) but the power switch shows that the computer stays on. This also happens when we tried shutting down in safe mode. Any ideas how to fix this? Could it be related to some f the drivers not loading? Thanks!
Thanks very much for the info. This as something that we had found, as well. Unfortunately, it did not work for us.
However, the problem WAS ultimately solved by letting the battery drain completely (this was accidental). When we plugged the computer in again and let it recharge, the problem was gone! It has been a week now, and the problem has not returned.
Thanks again, though, for taking the time to offer a solution.
a little black duck said:
Got this from the W7 support >>
This problem can occur because of one of the following reasons:
1. One of your processes or services is not shutting down.
2. You have a faulty or incompatible device driver installed.
3. You have a faulty or incompatible program running.
I suggest you to update all the drivers in your computer.
Follow the steps below to update the drivers:
1. Go to start and type in Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. Click Continue. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
3. In the list of device types, click the kind of device, and then locate the specific device that is not functioning.
4. Right-click the device, and then click Properties.