A few simple questions about PSU connectors....

Wiggum

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to purchase and assemble a new Athlon system, and I have a few quick questions about power supply connectors.

1) What is a 6-pin auxillary connector for? My motherboard of choice (Abit NF7-S) requires the 20-pin connector (and can accept the 4-pin "P4" connector as well), but I don't know what the 6-pin connector is for (legacy support perhaps)?

2) Is there any drawback to using Molex splitters (vs. power supplies that provide additional Molex connectors)? I've settled on a <A HREF="http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/index_510-atx-pfc.htm" target="_new">PC Power & Cooling 510W PSU</A>, and they make a deluxe version with additional Molex connectors, serial ATA power connectors, braided cables, and black paint. But the extra features add $100 to an already expensive power supply. If I buy the standard version (6 Molex + 2 floppy + mainboard connectors), I may have to split a connector between an optical drive and a hard drive, and I'll certainly have to split connectors for my fans (4 to 5 80mm units, and possibly drive coolers). I'm seeking total stability (cost is secondary), and I'm ultimately wondering if the additional Molex connectors on the deluxe version offer any advantages over simple splitters.

This will be my first Athlon system (and the most "packed" system I have ever spec'd), so I'm really trying to protect myself on the power front. I like the fact that PC P&C power supplies have line conditioning and ultra-tight tolerances, and I'm hoping the additional cost pays off for stability. My proposed rig is as follows:

Abit NF7-S
Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
1 GB Corsair PC3500C2 (2 x 512 MB)
Matrox G550 video card
Chieftec aluminum file server case (4 - 5 fans)
PC Power & Cooling 510W PSU (650W peak)
3 x Western Digital 80GB 7,200 RPM special edition drives (non-RAID)
Promise ATA133 Ultra TX2 PCI card
1 x Plextor 52x32x52 CD/RW
1 x floppy drive
Professional PCI audio card (RME HDSP Multiface)
DSP PCI accelerator card (Mackie UAD-1)

This system will <b>not</b> be overclocked, but I want mission critical stability (and some obsolescence protection) . This computer is for professional audio editing, and pro audio software tends to be finnicky about hardware choices.

Thanks in advance,

Wiggum

svol

Champion
1. Some mobo and PCI cards use them... but it is used very rarely.

2. It shouldn't make any difference as long as the wires can carry the load. Inside the PSU all 12V, 5V etc wires join up together so there is not a real maximum to each cable.

I love my Delta 60HP 7000 RPM fan that puts out more dB then CFM :eek: