Best Memory Sticks for Asus P4P800 Deluxe Board

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Would appreciate some advice as to the best memory sticks (brand/model number, etc) for the Asus P4P800 Deluxe Board (865 PE Chipset). I want 1GB - but reading posts, reviews and trying to figure out <A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4p800-d/overview.htm" target="_new">Asus's qualified vendors list</A> - I'm still not clear on this. I will probably use a P4c 2.4/2.6/or2.8 CPU (will depend on price when Scotty is released). I may do some slight OC'ing - but that's not really important to me - this will be a mainstream business (and Photoshop) machine.

I will probably only run one IDE Hard Drive (maybe 2 in a RAID 0 config).

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1839" target="_new">AnandTech</A> did a memory review which didn't clear it up. There seems to be a lot of opinions on double sided v single sided sticks, 2 x 512 v 4 x 256, etc. etc.

If anybody has built with this board and has a good recommendation for 1 gig of quality memory, please post a reply.

Thanks for the help.

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake_Barnes on 08/02/03 11:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Ive builted 2 system with a P4P800. One of them with 512 and the other with 1gig of ram. In both system I used Geil Golden Dragon memory. I'd say Corsair's XMS LL and kingston's HyperX series may perform a tad better but it was hard to get corsair and kingston was backorder. Anyhow I found both system to perform really well and to be really stable(Both P4P800 and both P4 2.6c). I like the Golden dragon, its a bit cheaper than Kingstona and corsair while running at pretty good timming(2-3-3-6)with DDR voltage at 1.75v.
So I go recommand Geil's Golden Dragon for its good price/stability/performance ratio.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
After reading the AnandTech article/review - I'm still not clear on 2x512 or 4x256 - AnandTech (and Intel) seem to think one is better than the other. I think they concluded that 4x256 double sided was preferable, but I'm not sure. I asked the question in their forum - and the review writer responded without being specific, plus an OCZ rep or fanboy posted some OCZ ad copy - you'd expect that to favor OCZ ...

I'm not saying price isn't an object - but since I'm not a hardcore OC'er - I don't want to pay pemium $ for sticks designed principally for high end OC'ing.

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b>

G

About this 2 vs 4 modules I dont know. But I tought more modules ment more latency altough thise may not apply the same way when in Dual DDR.

Also the high end DDr400 modules are not made for overclocking they are made for high performance at 200mhz ddr...

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
The 2 vs 4 stick thing was inluded in the AnandTech article - they made some reference to an Intel white paper ... I've never found that much clearity in Intel papers.

Edit: I want to clearify one thing - we're talking about DDR400 (PC 3200) right - not PC 3500 or higher?

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake_Barnes on 08/01/03 02:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i would say go for crucial...their memory is always compatable...just use their memory selecter pick out the board you are using and thats it...it is a no fuss no worry way of getting memory since you know you are getting it from the industry leader in memory technology...

Fear not crucial sticks for being only cas 2.5...since jdec does not have a cas 2 pc3200 standard yet crucial has not begun manufacturing cas 2 memory...i would be willing to bet that most of their mem could run cas 2 just fine as normally crucials memory has quite a bit of headroom...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
ok...i totally missed the fact that you were shooting for 1ghz fsb...in that case i would go for the lowest timming pc3700 you can find...it has been my observation that the pc4000 sticks seem to just be overclocked pc3700 sticks with amazingly shitty timmings... It seems like the anandtech review had good luck overclocking those ocz modules so if you can afford them i would get those...

3 386DX-25's...12 volts...glue some ln2 and a wicked amount of overclocking and you get a willamantee minus 36 pins, 33.75 million transistors and a couple hundred mhz... :cool:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Couple of things re: OCZ. 1. The sticks AnandTech used were OCZ4000 GOLD beta modules (I couldn't find these on Newegg - maybe beta means their not available for general sale yet).
2. I recall reading some negative stuff about OCZ quality - don't remember where, but it didn't give a confident feeling in the brand.

I tried the Crucial Memory Selector - for that board, it came up with: 128MB DDR PC3200
DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 5ns • 2.5V • 16Meg x 64. Don't want to use 128 Meg sticks.

The original questions included, besides brand/product number, 2x512 or 4x256.

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i ment the OCZ3700 GOLD DDR466

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
yes i too have heard quality problems with ocz in the past but i think they have shaped up since then...or at least i hope so!

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
What do you think of: Geil, 1GB ( 2 x 512MB ) PC3200 DDR DIMMS, (GL1GB3200DC) (2x512), don't know CAS. $220 for the twin pack?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
2 6-3-3 1T thats the timming

Well geil does have a lifetime warantee...the modules do look good...but for 250 you can get kingston modules with a slightly better 2-3-2-6-1...Also have you looked at the geil golden dragons...

I would recomend the kingston modules over the geil modules however...

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Couldn't find Golden Dragons - Tried PriceGrabber - they didn't show up - do you know a reseller?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
new egg...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I looked at the performance decrease from 4-double sided to 4-single sided, which was tiny, to 2 double sided, which was small, to 2 single sided, which was significant, according to Anandtech's test. I decided that it would be best for me to get 2 512MB double sided modules, so that I could upgrade to 2GB by adding 2 more modules later, if I needed to.

Another thing is, a "1GHz bus" will require you to either use PC4000, or use a lower ratio. The 5:4 ratio will allow PC3200 to run at stock speed with a "1GHz bus".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
I can tell you my experience with this board. DO NOT ORDER CORSAIR PC3200LL TWINX. It will not work on the P4P. I had good luck with Mushkin. I can give it two thumbs up. And it's priced right too.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Which of these two would you pick, if any:

1. KINGSTON HyperX Series 184-pin 1GB Kit (2x 512MB) DDR433 (PC3500) DDR RAM modules, Model# KHX3500K2/1G
Specifications:
Type: Kingston HyperX
Capacity: 1GB (2x 512MB)
Speed: DDR433 (PC3500)
Latency: CL2 Model#: KHX3500K2/1G

2. KINGSTON HyperX Series 184-pin 1GB Kit (2x 512MB) DDR400 (PC3200) DDR RAM modules, Model# KHX3200K2/1G
Specifications:
Type: Kingston HyperX
Capacity: 1GB (2x 512MB)
Speed: DDR400 (PC3200)
Latency: CAS Latency 2 (2-2-2-6-1T) Model#: KHX3200K2/1G

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=manufactory&catalog=147&manufactory=1183&description=&page=2" target="_new">Newegg link</A>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i would go for the pc3500...it is just safer IMO...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, they're probably the same thing, with different SPD values. Well, if they're similarly priced and the PC3500 looks good, I'd pick that.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I love these <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&manufactory=1687&catalog=147&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1" target="_new">Geil Golden Dragon PC3500 modules</A>. Reminds me of a Bruce Lee movie ... I love that "red eye" and the graphics - some awesome looking sticks (and $30-50 less than Kingston).

RE:GeIL Golden Dragon Dual DDR 1GB(2x512MB) 433MHz Model GD3500-1000DC Retail
Specifications:
Dual Channel SPD Enhanced PC3500 Dual DDR 1GB; Special design for dual channel motherboard
Dragon Eye: One red led on PCB board for memory module ON/OFF detection
Hand Picked Golden Dragon 5ns!
Advanced WLCSP Package
6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded Golden Color PCB board
Pin Count: 184
Chip Denisity: 32x8
CAS/Timing 2 6-3-3 1T @PC3500
Voltage: 2.5v-3.1V
Warranty: Lifetime Model#: GD3500-1000DC $224.00 Free Shipping

Edit: Ah, but no sexy heat spreaders

<b><font color=red>I did NOT have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky ... - Bill "Cigar Man" Clinton</font color=red><b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake_Barnes on 08/02/03 07:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Thanks for the post - I'll look at Mushkin - although I don't know much about the brand. Do you recall the product ID?

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i got some mushkin pc150 modules...they have nice sexy heat spreaders :cool:

Anyhow they run fine...although i have yet to run them at their limit...