New laptop, mostly for business

I am about to purchase a new laptop, and work is paying for it.
Mostly it will be used for business, I do estimation and project management for a mechanical company, the new version of software I mainly use requires a minimum of 1 gig of ram, and is fairly processor intensive, from my understanding of it. the other uses are just going to be standard stuff, excel spreadsheets, light word processing, etc. I also do the webpage development for my company. I will also be taking it to jobsite's , using some project management software for notes, etc. At times, I will be looking at blueprints with autocad. Currently I'm using a desktop pc with a P4 1.7 ghz, 1 gig ram, and a 128 meg geforce 6150 vid card. It does fine for what I do, but is slightly sluggish.

My boss is stuck hard on Dell, so I have no choice but to buy it from them. I have a budget of approx $1000... yeah, we're cheap, but thats what it is. Oh, and XP Pro is a must.

Anyway, I have it down to 2 choices.

Inspiron 1501 Qty 1
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56, Genuine Windows® XP Professional Unit Price $1,222.00
Battery life of up to 3.3 hours
$250 Instant Savings on select Inspiron notebooks priced $1,149 or more!
Special Offer!
- $250.00
Catalog Number: 4 BNCWB1S
Module Description Show Details
Inspiron 1501 AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-56
OPERATING SYSTEM(s) Genuine Windows® XP Professional
LCD panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™
MEMORY 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
VIDEO CARD ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)
HARD DRIVES 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Card Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Primary Battery 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Port Replicator Notebook Expansion Dock

OR

Inspiron 640m Dual Core Qty 1
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Professional Unit Price $1,280.00
space Save $285 on select Inspiron 640m systems!
Special offer
- $285.00
Catalog Number: 4 BNDWF4E
Module Description Show Details
Inspiron 640m Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5200 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Professional
LCD Panel 14.1 inch WXGA+ UltraSharp™ TFT Display with TrueLife™
Memory 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Hard Drive 120GB Hard Drive
Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Sound Options Integrated Audio
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Port Replicator Kensington Notebook Expansion Dock

Pro's and Cons

I don't know a lot about laptops, but with the Turion CPU, I can get twice the ram, looks to be better video card, bigger lcd. I do lose the internal wireless , but thats not a huge deal imo. On the Intel system, I would get a better quality, but smaller lcd.

I guess my main question is: Is the Turion as good as the Core 2 Duo intel offerring?

Thank you,

CRB5
8 answers Last reply
More about laptop business
  1. go with option 2 had X2 and the 2 do not compare speed or power IMO also check out the inspiron e1505 or even the 1405 I own both and if its something yourgoing to be carring around get the 1405 and save bout 2 lbs
    also why the dock? :?:
  2. The dock is because we are going to move my desktop pc to the receptionist desk, her PC needs upgrading. So instead of upgrading hers, I get a laptop. Makes me mobile, and should be able to handle all my tasks, as both options are faster than what I currently use.

I hook up to a large digitizer tablet for doing takeoff's of blueprints at the office. But I have also had the need to have a PC with me when I visit the field.

I had pretty much decided against the Turion option, because from what I have read the onboard video in that machine is a joke.

Now, I think I have settled on this configuration. I can get this machine for $976, and it looks to be pretty capable.

Inspiron 6400 Intel® Core™ Duo T2050 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
    Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Professional
    LCD Panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display
    Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
    Video Card 128MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300 HyperMemory™
    Hard Drive 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
    Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
    Sound Options Integrated Audio
    Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
  3. Also, I will be hooking up to my 23" widescreen lcd monitor at work as well when i', in the office.
  4. have you checked dells outlet? sometimes they really have great deals especially on the scratch and dent the 6400 is basically a 1505 just named different
    good luck
    jim
  5. dvi or rgb?
    jim
  6. My office monitor can accept both. I prefer DVI of course, but its not a deal killer if the dell doesn't have it... in fact,, i haven't even looked to see if thats available
  7. no dvi or pcmcia just s-video out and express card 54 heres link to manual
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/om/MD402AO3.pdf
  8. Here the thing with the ram you can always upgrade it later. I found 2 1gb ram for alainware laptop for $130 each and that the going price on most laptop ram sticks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops